Soderbergh's thriller "Unsane" shot on iPhone premieres in Berlin

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Juan Matus, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile Thread Starter

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Felix Martinez and Juan Matus like this.
  3. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

I find the response regarding the process of filmmaking getting in the way of actors performances intriguing.

What did everyone do prior to 1999? Faye Dunaway didn't seem to flinch when Alonzo pushed a 40mm lens into her face, as opposed to a 85mm or 135mm across the room. She could have had it worse. Could have been Frances McDormand, and Sonnenfeld has a 20mm in your face. I was always taken out of the moment with her shoddy performances in CU's in Blood Simple :biglaugh:

4. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

It will probably look great, on an iphone.

I would think the autofocus would be a creative issue.

5. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Arriflex, MiniDV, iPhone. What's it matter? What's hard is getting 6-12 people together every day for a month without scheduling problems or excuses: that's moviemaking.

Richard--W, Solaris and quicksrt like this.
  6. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I thought Soderberg had retired?

By the way, by the time you equip an "iPhone" with all the stuff necessary to make it capable of being used to actually shoot a movie - mounting systems, matte box, sync sound - that claiming you shot it on a phone is just plain silly.

7. TheVU

TheVU Forum Resident

People look at me funny for wanting to shoot on Super16. But iPhones? Oh yeah, that's totally cool.

nosticker, Kiko1974 and Chris DeVoe like this.
  8. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

If they release this movie for home video, hopefully it would be compatible with Samsung TV sets..;)

David Campbell likes this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It should as a lot of the pieces that make the iPhone are made by Samsung. :D

Chris DeVoe, Karnak and delmonaco like this.
  10. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No not a lot of attachments. Sound is an issue regardless of camera type. There is an iPhone app for controlling shutter speed and a few other settings one does not want set to automatic. The dolly used is a pro model for sure.

You sound a tad cynical no? I think it's totally bitchen, and hope it gets Oscar notice.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

There is a great "filming" app for iPhones that gets deep into the electronics on the iPhone camera and controls things manually, no auto focus issues to overcome.

I've shot concerts on an iPhone and the results were very good.

12. Chris DeVoe

The camera I use has dual XLR inputs and records 16 bit stereo at 48k, and it can be bought used for a fraction of the price of an iPhone. Sync sound is not actually an issue.

I just think it's dumb to use a fixed aperture camera with a tiny image sensor to shoot a film, and the only reason to do so is if the phone maker is paying you to do so. A few months back, Chicago subway platforms were awash with these "Shot on iPhone" posters, and every one of them had tiny text admitting that they processed them to within an inch of their lives - when there are plenty of SLRs that could have shot at the resolution necessary to print a subway size poster.

TheVU and alexpop like this.
  13. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

Right, making a movie is a lot more than just showing up with a camera and saying "action." I'll be curious to see how they handled the resolution issue, though. Is it up-rezzed to 1080p? No doubt there's an expensive software solution.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think they saved a bundle on this one. They could have printed the file to film and scanned that back to digital for a more film look. Who knows exactly at this point.

But it is ground breaking and if it's a hit then good for everyone.

The trailer looked great. The only thing I noticed is the deep depth of field like video and not like film cameras.

15. alexpop

Insane amount of digital shot, a lot ..lot...lot of editing I would imagine,i.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  16. cathandler

cathandler Senior Member

17. alexpop

^About 200 scenes edited. lighting dark.
    But looks like a move, good one ?

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

No this director does not screw around too much with excessive takes. He knows exactly what he wants in advance. Editing was standard for a genre film.

TheVU likes this.
  19. Claude

Claude Senior Member

I like movies with minimalistic technical means, because they go back to the storytelling basics (such as the Dogme 95 movies), but I don't see the appeal of shooting it with a smartphone instead of a real camera.

It's of course useful for promotional purposes. Not so much for Apple but for the movie itself, since most people will become aware of this low budget, low promotion production only because of the "shot on iPhone" headlines in the general press.

Richard--W likes this.
  20. alexpop

See the video. Lot of editing

21. alexpop

Shot on iPhone staight to iPhone.
    Can't see it getting a theatrical run, straight to download methinks.

22. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

You shoot on Super16? Good for you!
    Which camera?
    but you rely on digital dailies and a digital intermediate, yes?
    do you edit on Super 16mm or digital?

I used to get the best results with a lot of hard light for indoors and natural light for outdoors day to reduce grain. Then stop down. Sometimes bouncers aren't enough and a sun-gun is needed.

23. Richard--W

Soderberg might have mounted it on a body harness of some kind, there are many, to avoid cumbersome and complicated set-ups. Maybe he didn't have a need for the matte box. Sync sound required a crew of at least three but that is a separate unit.

It's the lighting setups and lenses that interest me but maybe he didn't need to worry about those things with an iphone. Is it really possible to shoot in 2k or higher with an iphone? if so isn't he saving the capture to a hard disc, or feeding the iphone into a hard disc drive? That could also be part of the body harness rig.

24. Chris DeVoe

Soderberg is a brilliant director and cinematographer and could no doubt make a compelling film using one of those old Fisher-Price PXL-2000 kid cameras that recorded on audio cassette tapes.

But I hate the idea that this is going to mean that more people are going to try to shoot movies on smartphones. Bleagh!

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  25. Richard--W

By the time Fisher-Price came out with that toy I was shooting with 3-chip ENG cameras.

I'd like to see Soderberg's iphone camera rig. There must be a picture of it somewhere. If I could see the rig I'd understand better how he managed it.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.