Software to copy videotapes to dvd?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ubsman, Dec 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubsman

ubsman Active Member Thread Starter

Anyone recommendations on what I should get to copy videotapes to dvd using a computer?

2. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Pinnacle Studio 9 works well, and is not that costly.

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Have you got a video capture device box to go between your VCR and your computer? That was the missing link that I was having problems with when I was first trying to make DVD's.

Use caution when dealing with Pinnacle. I ordered Studio 9 along with my laptop, and when I tried to install it, the program would ask for the serial number. When I entered it, it would tell me the number was invalid. In trying to find a solution to the problem, I discovered that this seems to be a frequent problem with Pinnacle products, and with Studio 9. I went back and forth with Pinnacle tech support, trying to get a new, valid serial number, and they kept shuffling me around, sending me confusing e-mails with convoluted instructions, to the point where I finally gave up after two weeks, and just sent the software back for a refund.

I've been using Sonic MyDVD Video Editing, Authoring and Burning software, and so far, I've gotten good results with it.

4. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

The problem I had with Pinnacle was that although the box says recommended requirements is a 1.5 GB processor if you want to capture in MPEG format it needs at least a 2.2 gig.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Hey Mike, do you have a link? What capture card are you using?

6. ubsman

ubsman Active Member Thread Starter

Seems it would have to be a capture card on this list:

http://patches.sonic.com/kbdocs/supportedcaptureMyDVD6.htm

Anyone have any recommendations?

Apparently you need something like MyDVD software, plus something like Videoh dvd media center, plus a video card of a certain quality. Starting to sound like major $, and lots of work to figure what goes with what. Maybe need to hire a consultant?

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

It's more on the side of major dollars...installation isn't the problem for us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.