Solo Beatles single by single thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Jun 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. To be fair he didn't sing Love Me Do or I Call Your Name originally.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Ringo re-recorded his own "Wings" (originally on Ringo The 4th) on Ringo 2012.

3. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

Which is the single that is currently being covered. ;)

4. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Ooops... I saw the Back Off Boogaloo post, but somehow didn't go further back to the "Wings" one. :doh:

theMess, mrjinks and Haristar like this.
  5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I like Back Off Boogaloo.

It's one of my fave Ringo songs.

6. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

The remake of Wings is okay, but not necessary. The remake of Back Off Boogaloo is REALLY not necessary.

theMess and mrjinks like this.
  7. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I think you could make a case for all those songs being overlooked in their original versions. A weak case, perhaps, for "Step Lightly," but "Wings" was a flop single from one of Ringo's least popular albums, and "Everyone Wins" — a non-album b-side released in neither the US nor the UK — was one of Ringo's most obscure songs. ("It's Love" may be the all-time obscurity champion.)

It's funny though. Ringo has released at least 10 live versions of "With A Little Help From My Friends," but that doesn't raise as many eyebrows as a second studio attempt at a handful of lesser known songs.

8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I found it interesting that when I picked up the Kisses on the Bottom CD how seamlessly Paul's originals fit in.
    Considering that most of the tunes on the album are considered classics and have been around for awhile it was pretty impressive that Paul's originals didn't stick out like sore thumbs.
    If someone had told me "My Valentine" was another old classic standard by Johnny Mercer or one of the other old guard writers I wouldn't have batted an eye.

9. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

From the instant I heard it, I've thought "My Valentine" sounds like George Gershwin. Lovely, with just enough of a bittersweet edge to keep it from becoming saccharine. Pretty close to perfect.

theMess, Paul H and mrjinks like this.
  10. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

This is actually one of McCartney's more amazing and overlooked gifts. He seems able to write in pretty much any style. He can channel Chuck Berry one minute, Cole Porter or Gershwin the next, the Everly Brothers a minute later (seriously, "On the Wings of a Nightingale" is pretty much a perfect Everly Brothers song) and on and on. I really can't think of anyone from the rock era who can do this so seemingly effortlessly.

theMess, Paul H and mrjinks like this.
  11. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

Nightingale is an overlooked gem. Wish he had recorded it himself

theMess, Bruce M. and mrjinks like this.
  12. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

Paul McCartney - "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)" (2012)

[​IMG]
    Released: December 2012
    Charts: #25 (US Adult Contemporary)

An expanded edition of the album, titled Kisses on the Bottom – Complete Kisses, was released exclusively on iTunes on 26 November 2012 for the UK, and 27 November 2012 for the US. The album contained the original fourteen-track version of the album, plus four bonus tracks, and the complete Live from Capitol Studios performance (thirteen tracks).[45] One of the bonus tracks, "The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire)", was released as a red vinyl single Christmas Kisses and peaked at number 25 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart.[22] The track was also featured on the 2012 Christmas compilation album Holidays Rule.[46]

13. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

I can't help but compare every version of The Christmas Song to Nat King Cole's take (the '61 recording - which is forever burned in my audio memory), and nobody ever comes close.

14. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

What was the B-side on the vinyl single?

Edit: Found out. Wonderful Christmastime.

Haristar likes this.
  15. Johnny Reb

Johnny Reb Résident du forum

As with the rest of the Kisses-related tracks, The Christmas Song is a winner. I prefer the version without the strings better, it's more intimate. Fantastic performance, the arrangement is top notch, and McCartney sounds great. I'd give a lot of money to hear a whole album by Macca like this...

16. Skywheel

Skywheel Forum Resident

The very limited release of "The Christmas Song" 45 was not only issued as a red vinyl single but also a green vinyl single. The sleeves were sealed so the color of your selection would be a surprise. (However holding it up to a light would allow one to make out the color of the disc inside.)
    I was aware of this when I made my order so I ordered two, hoping to get lucky. Unfortunately I got two red ones. (both still sealed)
    So if someone happens to have two green ones please pm me.

17. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Absolutely love McCartney's version of the Christmas song!

In fact I love Kisses On The Bottom! It's one of my go to's when I'm at my drawing board!

vitorbastos123 likes this.
  18. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

I'd love to hear what Paul would have done with "On the Wings of a Nightingale," but I actually don't think he'd have improved on the Everlys. He wrote it for them, and the version we have on EB '84 is about as close to perfect as recorded music gets.

19. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I agree. On first glance it's amazing that Paul could write to order a song as perfectly suited for the Everly Brothers as "On the Wings Of a Nightingale" but then again the Everly Brothers were such a huge influence for John and Paul that it shouldn't be surprising that Paul knew their style in and out and what would suit the brothers .
    Still, I wouldn't mind hearing Paul's version of the song , besides the miserable fidelity version that's out there.

Paulwalrus, theMess and mrjinks like this.
  20. Is the miserable fidelity because of the copy-quality? Does the recording itself seem to be decent, or just a casual scratch demo?

21. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

I really like "My Valentine." It's a very well written song and really fit his current singing voice perfectly.

22. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I also got two red ones!

Skywheel likes this.
  23. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

My Valentine is decent.
    The other songs I heard from KISSES didn't give me the desire to hear more or buy the album.

24. jgkojak

jgkojak Mull of Kansas

My Valentine is a classic - it sounds like it was written in the 30s and has been around forever.

Kisses is OK and interesting to listen to... its a real shame he didn't get around to it even 10 years earlier when his voice was in better shape.

Also, I get how he just wanted to be the singer, but it'd be great to hear him playing bass on some of the tracks.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  25. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

Just catching up with this one. Not a particularly remarkable single (which would probably explain why there are not too many remarks on it here!)

There are many latter day ex-Beatle solo singles that could have been big hits or 'standards' if released in their '70's halcyon days' (i.e. Paul's Valentine). The opposite could perhaps be said of this one. It's not bad, but I really don't think Wings would have been a hit at any point in Ringo's career.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.