Some cancelled tv shows 2017

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

• Making History: The time-travel comedy is history.
    • Son of Zorn: The live-action/cartoon hybrid is done after one season.
    • APB: The futuristic cop drama starring Justin Kirk is dead in the water.
    • Pitch: After one season, Fox is pulling the plug on this sports drama.
    • Rosewood: Two seasons in, and Fox is done.
    • Sleepy Hollow: Fox is calling it quits after four seasons.
    ABC

• The Real O'Neals: After two seasons, the show is over.
    • Dr. Ken: Ken Jeong's medical comedy is history.
    • Imaginary Mary: Viewers didn't tune in for Jenna Elfman's show, and now they never will.
    • American Crime: Though critically acclaimed, the anthology drama is through.
    • Secrets and Lies: After a solid first season, rating dipped in season two and ABC has canceled the drama.
    • The Catch: The sexy crime thriller is no more.
    • Last Man Standing: Tim Allen's show has been canceled.
    • Time After Time: After five episodes, ABC has pulled the low-rated drama.
    NBC

• The Blacklist: Redemption: NBC has pulled the plug on the spinoff.
    • Powerless: The superhero comedy is officially done.
    • Timeless: After one season, the drama is officially over.
    • Emerald City: We hardly got to know this Wizard of Oz adaptation before it was canceled.
    CBS

• 2 Broke Girls: After six seasons, CBS canceled the comedy.
    • Doubt: CBS pulled Katherine Heigl's legal drama after just two episodes.
    The CW

• Frequency: The time-travel drama failed to catch on after one season.
    • No Tomorrow: The CW also axed this whimsical romantic drama.
    FX

• Man Seeking Woman: The show has been canceled after three brilliant (but low-rated) seasons.
    Disney Channel

IFC

• Portlandia: IFC announced that the show will end in 2018 with season eight.
    OWN

• Love Thy Neighbor: OWN canceled the Tyler Perry-produced show.
    • For Better or Worse: This show, also from Perry, is ending with its current season.
    WGN

• Outsiders: After two seasons, the drama has been shut down.

Johnny Rocker likes this.
  2. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

3. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

Interesting.

4. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

Sorry to hear about Last Man Standing. I know I'm in the minority, but I liked that show a lot more than Tim Allen's old series.

5. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The only one of those shows that I cared to watch was Dr Ken. It was quite enjoyable, if not high art by any means.

6. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I'm not surprised at all about the blacklist: redemption. And I'm huge blacklist fan.

7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Sad about Portlandia, that is my favorite show that is on right now.

8. rjp

rjp Senior Member

how on earth did the insipid 'sleepy hollow" last 4 years?

did the lead actor ever change his clothes throughout the entire run?

WHitese and Mike from NYC like this.
  9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and '2 broke girls' is just 2 girls screaming each and every line and trying to be dirty without really being dirty. how that crap last 6 years shows the dumbing-down of america in full force.

mace, Karnak, geo50000 and 15 others like this.
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

The blonde on Girl Meets World will be back--it looks like Disney is positioning her to be one of their stable singer/actor teen stars.

Texastoyz likes this.
  11. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

[​IMG]

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

The only ones of these that I watched were APB, The Catch and Powerless. I can see why they were canceled, but I had fun with them. (Especially APB, I just really like Justin Kirk.)

14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we watch 'the catch" too, but, as we were just discussing at dinner, it doesn't seem to have any direction or story-line. and the 'daughter' has ruined the mojo of the whole cast.

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Well, The Catch season finale really did seem as if the writing were on the wall. They wrapped things up enough so that if it never came back there was little left hanging precipitously.

I thought it was a pretty sophisticated network tv show with its loose sensuality and flexible morality and lots of visual candy. I almost bailed during the first handful of episodes and then all of a sudden Gina Torres stepped into the cast. I watch Gina. So I kept at it. It had a hip campiness that I found entertaining, though it wanted to have the suspenseful edge that another Shandraland show, Scandal, manages to pull off better.

16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Sleepy Hollow worked okay for the first two seasons but it nosedived horribly at the end. No great loss.

My other half will be pissed that Frequency was cancelled she loved that. I enjoyed sleeping through nearly every episode.

wayneklein likes this.
  17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I believe it was the second-highest-rated comedy series on ABC. Word has it that the producers and cast stood firm on their paychecks and weren't willing to compromise with Disney/ABC. The problem when you're in the 6th season is that they really don't need more episodes for syndication, so there's an economic point where it doesn't make sense to keep making more shows. There have been several major cases where the cast & producers took pay cuts in order to keep the show going another year or two: Big Bang Theory just did it, and in years past Friends, Seinfeld, and The Simpsons also did it. Nobody was exactly going broke: on the low side, actors on those shows were still making $400K-$500K per episode, so a 10% pay cut didn't hurt them that much.

Tim Allen has a reputation for being outspoken and a bit difficult. However... I worked on two different features with him (Shaggy Dog and Wild Hogs), and he was a total pro -- very funny, very cooperative, and a pretty good guy.

Last edited: May 16, 2017
  18. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

any word on brooklyn 99?

19. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Tbe Leftovers
    No season 4.

20. rjp

rjp Senior Member

never was even in the plans, it was always a 3 season arc.

MikaelaArsenault, CBC and alexpop like this.
  21. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I thought Powerless had it's moments. Not necessarily a must watch for me but I enjoyed the eps that I did see. I didn't even know the APB show existed!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  22. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Or it was a blatantly political and partisan decision on ABC's part... 20th Century Fox, who produces the show, even offered to reduce fees but ABC didn't so much as open negotiations despite the continued ratings success, syndication dollars, etc. But then again, this is the very same network who refuse to either re-run on television or release to home formats The Path to 9/11 mini-series... and we ALL know why.

Me smells skullduggery here...

23. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

Funny enough I canceled Fox, not the cable FX, but Fox. Fox just jerked us all around starting and stopping series like Gotham and Lucifer as well as others. Screw Fox - you are cancelled!!!!!!!!

Benno123 and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  24. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Regarding "Last Man Standing", here's an interesting article laying out five potential reasons for its cancelation, four of which have nothing to do with politics. Some of the bits spoken to mirror what Vidiot said above:

5 reasons ABC might have canceled the Tim Allen comedy Last Man Standing

I'd argue that if the political aspect as it pertains to Allen's stated political leanings and whatnot were not present, if people knew zero of Allen's politics, the show being canceled wouldn't have been much of a story. Sure, the trades might mention that it was a little bit surprising. But as much as people are trying to point to the cancelation being due to politics, an even stronger argument can be made in my opinion that the only reason people are paying attention to this story (and in many cases stating some level of outrage) is due to politics.

Setting all that aside, and as someone who dug Allen's "Home Improvement" and found it to be inconsequential but fun sitcom stuff, I was surprised he kept his new sitcom going as long as it did. It always looked dire to me even compared to the now-dated-but-still-often-funny "Home Improvement."

25. Me neither. Building a new show around the least likeable character was maybe not a smart idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.