Some confusion regarding COOL EDIT PRO...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gmrulz4u, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gmrulz4u

gmrulz4u Member Thread Starter

First off, I love Cool Edit Pro but still after a couple years of owning it I don't quite "get" everything that it shows.

First, why will the dB meters on the bottom of the page go all the way into the "RED", but when you view the "Statistics", it doesn't show any "Clipped Samples"???

Also, I don't understand why a song can be totally compressed and maximized with no dynamics at all, basically never veering far from "0 db", but then the stats will say the "Average RMS Power" is something like "-12.32 db"??? That makes no sense to me??

THANKS ALL!:)

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

1. Try right-clicking on the meters and selecting "Adjust for DC offset".

2. That is correct.

3. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Grant,

Is there a filter that is the opposite of "Vocal Cut", or one that will save what Vocal Cut removes?

Thanks

:-jon

4. Grant

No. It's the same function. You're trying to get rid of one thing while keeping the other. Your success will depend on how centered to the middle the sound is that you're trying to remove. Other than that, you'll just have to play around with things, try stuff to see what will work.

5. gmrulz4u

gmrulz4u Member Thread Starter

Grant,

Thanks for your reply. However, for my second question, all you said was "That is correct."?? I didn't actually make a statement:)

I am still confused as to how a song can have an "Average RMS Level" of say, -11.34 dB, but when you actually look at the wave itself, it's just one big overly-compressed block that rarely is far from 0 dB/the "red" zone??

I don't get it, still:)

THANKS AGAIN!:)

6. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

Jon...

I don't know if this is what you are looking for but in version 1.5 (which shoul dbe released by now) there is a center channel filter that will extract only main vocals and instruments that might be used in a 5.1 mix for the center. Cool huh? My guess is it looks for the hard mono signal and gets rid of everything else.

7. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Bob,

You are on track. Version 1.5 of what? I have CEP2.1, and that was the last version before Audition.

:-jon

8. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

Sorry... Version 1.5 of Adobe Audition has that feature according to the latest issue of Keyboard magazine.

9. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Cool. Another upgrade I need! At least the upgrade to 1.0 was free!! :D

I have just been copying some of my quad reels to 24/96 wav files, with the intent of making DVD-A archive discs. However, it seems that you can only do this with MLP encoding. Without it, you have to drop "down" to 24/48. The MLP encoder software is $2500!! The companion DVD-A creation software is $2500 (or $4500 for both).

To get these, I would have to sell off my DCC gold discs and a lot more!! YIKES! I may have to redo them to 24/48. What a bummer.

10. Grant

To squash anymore confusion, Adobe Audition is the same product as Cool Edit Pro. The only thing that changed is the name of the software and the owners. Even the same people who develop Cool Edit develop Audition.

Karl Zemlin from Audiomasters offers this:

And, as I may recall, the former name had copyright restrictions on it, so it could no longer be used. It's been a while, so I can't recall.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.