Some country stations are pulling Little Big Town's "Girl Crush" off of the air

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

2. BradOlson

3. BradOlson

My opinion: There is NOTHING wrong with the song at all and it is really about jealousy.

4. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

The unfortunate fact is, it appears to be a small percentage of the "country music" listening demographic that are pure professional victims - constantly fishing for moronic things to whine about, usually with the intention of feeling powerful and possibly some kind of payday. You know, the types that are convinced that every president since Eisenhower is at least considering to Reichstag their one-horse-town with a nuclear weapon.

Note that I state that it appears to be a small percentage - not IS a small percentage. Merely perception, folks.

ConnieGuitar and JoeF. like this.
  5. BradOlson

The song is selling huge on iTunes, but the radio airplay is very limited.

Country radio listeners should really take this song to heart:

Hey Vinyl Man and ralph7109 like this.
  6. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Country music needs to stop this. The song is great, it really is. The genre seems to have itself so boxed in, the only prerequisite for certain radio play is someone singing with an affected accent, singing about the stars, a pick up truck, sex and drinking.

I can't help but think these rigid, tacit rules (well until you cross them) are the reason why some acts leave country. like Taylor Swift. And of course there's those who are "left" themselves, like the Dixie Chicks.

sixelsix and Davidmk5 like this.
  7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

The excellent Saving Counry Music blog delved into this a couple of days ago and came away with a pretty jaded view of the "controversy":

“Girl Crush” is sort of this middling, pedestrian song meant for the female adult contemporary demographic of country. You add this layer of intrigue about who is kissing who, and that’s what makes it a single. This isn’t an endorsement for the song getting docked in the rotations of radio stations, or for people taking incorrect misconceptions away from the song and using them for “closed-minded” purposes. But the songwriters, label, and Little Big Town had to know what they were getting into here, and if it weren’t for the potential of those misconceptions, this song likely would have never seen the light of day to being with, especially as a single.
    (p.s. I'm already sensing that this thread may not survive for long given the almost inevitable pull toward making it a forbidden "political" discussion....)

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  8. tcbtcb

tcbtcb Forum Resident

Silly!

9. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

The same thing happened to Kacey Musgraves' song "Follow Your Arrow". I can't stand bigots. :thumbsdow

10. BradOlson

I know.

11. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I saw this on facebook today as Chely wright linked it with a "I told you so" ....... it's kinda sad in 2015 a song is a problme for people .
    I agree it's More about jealousy & that scenario of losing someone to another .....

12. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

Absurd.

But please don't interpret that a few ignorant souls represent the entire country music fan base. Nobody I know cares.

I'm downloading the song (even after owning the album) to show my support.

13. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

I love me some Dixie Chicks but that one is different. Their political comments didn't do them in as much as going after their fan base and saying things like "we don't want to be in the same people's CD changers that have Reba McEntire".

And more importantly - they stopped releasing music AFTER they had another number one country album after the "controversy".

That was their choice. They would have continued to do well in the industry if they chose to.

So I don't think it is fair to put that issue completely on the shoulders of country music and their fans.

In my opinion.

JoeF. and BradOlson like this.
  14. krock2009

krock2009 Forum Resident

Same thing happened with Garth Brooks' "We Shall be Free", it missed the Top 10.

heatherly and BradOlson like this.
  15. BradOlson

Yep.

16. BradOlson

A lot of radio stations unfortunately kowtow to the ignorant people who complain.

Jerod and Ed Hughes like this.
  17. Peter Pyle

Peter Pyle Forum Resident

This isn't a hoax?

melstapler likes this.
  18. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

Hell yeah, anything goes. No rules. Morality completely sucks. No religion, no laws, no ceiling on what people will tolerate.
    Hedonism all the way. Disagree with nothing, accept everything.

weaselone, Huck Caton and Jack Flash like this.
  19. BradOlson

No it isn't a hoax.

20. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

Imagine if Conway Twitty was trying to launch a career today. Half his songs are about adultery.

heatherly, DeRosa, BradOlson and 4 others like this.
  21. BradOlson

He had a lot of controversy with his music back in the day including many stations banning airplay of "You've Never Been This Far Before."

Kkfan likes this.
  22. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

You've got a point there...

23. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

wow. the listeners who are all bent out of shape about this are really, really...i mean really stupid.

24. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Fixed that for you..... :D

krock2009 likes this.
  25. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

Would the same people have pulled Jim Stafford's "My Girl Bill" (from 1974) off the air? This song is pretty much the same message, 4o years later. The more things change...

majorlance, krock2009 and sewerdog like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.