some Criterion Blu-rays are starting to rot and no longer play, including some OOP titles

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jason Pumphrey, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

My "Walkabout" and "Ride With The Devil" discs look normal. Not brown. I haven't put them in to play them yet, but they look okay. I do remember that I was sent a replacement "Walkabout" disc years ago when I first got it as there was some other problem with my first disc. I can't remember what it was. Something like subtitles not turning off or an audio problem. Anyway, maybe the replacement disc they sent me was pressed in a different run.

2. balzac

balzac Senior Member

They only title on the list I have is "M", which I've never opened or played. I just cracked it open today and it *looks* okay.

I think one problem they might also be seeing from collectors is that a lot of people buy arms full of Criterion titles during Barnes & Noble sales and then don't get around to watching them for sometimes years. I've gluttonously done this on occasion. So they may see a quick influx of collectors with multiple problematic discs rather than a gradual thing.

hi_watt likes this.
  3. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Masters of Cinema also number their releases.

4. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

Oscilloscope does as well, at least it seems that way on the titles I have. But looking at their website, they may have been getting into more diverse catalog numbers.

Drafthouse Films has their titles listed by number on their website, but I don't own any of them to know if the media does as well.

5. Graham

Graham Senior Member

Me too, although not as bad as that picture above. The inner plastic ring is browner than the rest too.

6. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I can't afford Criterion titles, but if I could I'd start backing them up.

7. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

What's the "Eraserhead situation"? Is there a different problem with that particular title?

8. stepeanut

There's a scene transition where, instead of fading to white, the screen goes black for several seconds.

9. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

So it's a problem on both the DVD and Blu-ray editions, then?

10. stepeanut

Not sure about the DVD. I'm not planning on buying this title, so I'm just repeating what I've read from others concerning the Blu-ray.

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

How does insurance fit into the equation.

Are fans expected to trade OOP titles worth a premium for regular value new releases? Maybe fans can work out a BRD-r trading circle for a couple weeks.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Fox Classics series was numbered on dvd
    http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb...flannel-suit-1956-ws-r1-front-cover-41481.jpg

13. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident

>>>

[​IMG]

SBurke, Jason Pumphrey and hi_watt like this.
  14. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident Thread Starter

on Blu-ray.com, there are folks that have EVERY Criterion Blu-ray.
    I don't undestand this completist mentality, I cannot see a person liking every single Criterion title.

Mark Nelson, ZAck Scott and lbangs like this.
  15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

We've got those here. They've posted they don't even like an artist, but buy the CDs ANYWAY...because they're collectors.
    Just a variation of the poor bastard that has to wash his hands every 10 minutes, IMO of course.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2014
    jsayers and Jason Pumphrey like this.
  16. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I own a ton of Criterion DVDs but only a few on Blu-Ray.

And of course ALL of the Blu-Rays I own are on the extended list. UUUUUUUGGGGGGHHHHHHH.

Going to have to do some checking pronto. Big thanks for calling this to our attention, OP!

17. Jason Pumphrey

When the Barnes and Nobles sales roll around, I buy like 3 or so, thats pretty much it.
    Looking forward to the Shooting/Ride in the Whirlwind combo finally in its 2.35 AR, only have seen those in dreaded FF.

18. Myke

As am I , as am I. :agree:

Slightly OT...I found it hilarious the other day, on Blu-ray.com, they were going on, and on about Robert Mitchum...how they had this title, and that title, so I said " where's the love for Thunder Road ? " And it went silent for like 30 minutes. Finally one comes back out, then another, and another...none of them had EVER HEARD OF IT !?!?!? :laugh:

19. Jason Pumphrey

I have heard of and got it on dvd, Smokey and the Bandit was obvioulsy loosely inspired by the film

20. Myke

A buddy of mine for the last 31 years, says Mitchum based it partly on my buddy's father, who was an infamous bootlegger here, back in those days !!!

21. Jason Pumphrey

Wow, the thread is getting really heated on bd.com (conspiracy theories, talk of suing/lawsuits) , the mods luckily have stepped in.
    Make wonder if these super paranoid "kids" even hold a job, interact with real people, or even go out of the house?!

Mark Nelson and Jerry Horne like this.
  22. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

*sigh* My copy of 'Stagecoach' is peeling around the edges. It's not browning though. I haven't tried playing it since I checked it though. But I'm not sure I want a peeling disc spinning in my BD player anyway.

23. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

My copy of Monterey Pop won't play. It can get to the menu, but when I want to watch the film, it freezes. The disc looks fine. No bronzing at all.

24. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Come on, man. It's not like some vinyl collectors don't get just as obsessive (or even more so in cases).

25. Myke

Exactly why subscribing to a thread can drive you crazy ! E mail notifications for posts that are stupid as can be.
    Yes, I've noticed in this, my first year of retirement, that the HEAVIEST internet traffic is during America's " working hours." Around 6pm, until 8am the next day, it's far quieter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.