some Criterion Blu-rays are starting to rot and no longer play, including some OOP titles

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Jason Pumphrey, Oct 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ReadySteady

ReadySteady Custom Title

From the list, I have "M", "The Seventh Seal" and the "Monterey Pop" box. They look fine to me, so knock on wood.

Myke likes this.
  2. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Mercifully, I don't own any of the blu-rays mentioned.

But now I'm nervous that future discs will go bad. If my BBS Story Box Set stops playing I'll likely run out into the street screaming.

3. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

At one time, I was one of those people. Eventually it just became too much; too many new titles, too many upgrades to existing titles, and too many unwatched discs. I've got quite a few of the alleged rotting discs, though I haven't checked any yet.

4. Al Kuenster

Al Kuenster Senior Member

The Digital Bits has some info on the Criterion disc problem, they no longer use the pressing plant that made the BR in question.

5. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yeah, I received a nice e-mail from them where they stated that they hadn't used that pressing plant for four years.

They'll replace the defective discs and as soon as they have a system in place, they'll send out instructions.

6. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

only found one title with browning and that was "M"

7. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Damn glad my Third Man blu is okay!

8. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Shut your mouth don't even start scaring me like that!!!

9. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

For those that are just visually checking their discs, you really have to try and play it on a reliable BD player to be 100% sure. That doesn't necessarily mean sitting through the whole movie (again), just FF or even skipping through the chapters. The issue with the bad Criterion BDs seem to generally occur mid-way through the movie, usually where the layer change is (which is the outside of a disc). If the disc locks up, image freezes, pixelates or stutters, that'sa bingo.

I've been buying digital disc media since '81, starting with Laserdisc, then CDs, DVDs and now Blu-rays. Of about 3,000 CDs, I've had maybe 3 or 4 develop disc rot (including Gary Moore's original UK "Victims Of The Future" CD), maybe 5 or so DVDs out of about 500+ and so far, zero Blu-ray discs. I did have a number of Laserdiscs rot that all came out in the later half of the 90's near the format's end that were all Sony/Tri-Star titles like Starship Troopers that later turned out to be all pressed at one particular disc plant. Turning a coppery bronze or brown color on the data side is typical for a rotting disc but it can also look "speckled" or even kind of wavy on the data side. Discs can go bad without even showing *any* physical signs which is why it's recommended to actual play possible problematic discs to be sure. On the other hand, a disc that is turning color may still play fine but the odds are at some point it will fail and be nothing more than a coaster.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  10. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

I am checking Monterrey Pop as I write this and so far it is OK.

11. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Criterion discs are expensive. Big hard disks are cheap. Back up your discs.*

*This was just made legal in the U.K., but unfortunately is still illegal in the U.S. However, an Internet search will turn up software that can do the job if you're willing to practice civil disobedience for the sake of your collection.

12. fuzzface

fuzzface Forum Resident

Since when is it "illegal" to make back-up copies (for your own private use) of any software you purchase ? I thought the legality of it was established in the '80s...

13. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I sort of had that mentality even though I didn't buy every Criterion. Especially here in Canada where they never go on sale.
    But I have come to the same conclusion that I don't need to buy every Criterion. Just because it's a Criterion doesn't mean I have to like the movie.
    Our local library gets Criterion Blu-Rays and I have checked out several and thank god for that. Some of them I might have thought of buying but after watching them, I'm glad I didn't.
    I mean they were interesting movies but not something I need to own at least not all of them.

14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Pfffffffft! Eat my shorts (man)!

15. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Criterion can't be the only company that used that pressing plant at that time. Anyone have any idea what non-Criterion discs could be going bad?

16. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Then it shouldn't matter.

jsayers likes this.
  17. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

Blu-ray discs are heavily copy-protected. The illegal part is that you're not allowed to bypass the DRM protections.

18. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sounds similar to Fox's West Side Story issue

19. greenman

greenman Forum Resident

Criterion doesn't use that plant any more., hasn't since, so this should not be a problem for discs manufactured after that.
    Someone , somewhere is bound to be willing to take a short-cut in production however, and this problem might occur again. Every interested party must just be on their asses so that no one gives in to the temptation.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Criterion: Exchanging Defective Discs
    Posted October 3, 2014 06:59 PM by Webmaster
    [​IMG]
    The Criterion Collection announced via its blog today that certain discs from its catalog that were pressed in a replication facility in 2010 have become defective. Replacement instructions were also provided with the official statement, which is attached with this news article.

Official announcement:

"We have confirmed that certain Blu-ray discs pressed at a replication facility that we used for a period in 2010 have become defective, showing a noticeable bronze discoloration on the underside and developing playback problems. We have confirmed the problem on seven titles, though not on all copies of those titles. All of these titles have since been re-pressed at a different pressing plant, and the vast majority of discs in circulation should not be affected.

The potentially affected Blu-ray titles are:

Howards End
    M
    Paris, Texas
    Pierrot le fou
    The Seventh Seal
    Summer Hours
    Walkabout

If you have found that your Blu-ray copy of one of these titles does not play, please send your disc to the following address for a replacement:

Jon Mulvaney
    The Criterion Collection
    215 Park Avenue South
    5th floor
    New York, NY 10003

Please include only your disc—no packaging—along with the address to which you'd like us to mail your replacement. We will not be replacing or exchanging packaging. There is no need to email us in addition.

If we learn that other titles are similarly defective, we will add them to this list and continue to replace them as well.

Thank you for your patience and understanding."

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=15142

21. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Glad to see they are replacing. I'm pretty sure I have all but one on that list.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that sucks! I can relate! I'm still going thru the DVD sticky goo, cloudiness that appears on DVDs stored in the clear slim cases...my heart goes out to you guys....

23. Michael

...they are proving they are a class act! no matter what, I always had proud ownership with their DVDs...and I do own their BR AHDN!

24. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

I thought that was just the cases from one company.
    Cant remember the name Scanvo or something like that.
    If your finding newer titles that also have the problem can you give us a list of the offenders?

25. Michael

yes...Scanvo. I have at least 20 TV on DVD Box sets that have the goo...
    the latest: Leave It To Beaver Complete Series..not the DVDs on the 2 double inserts just the ones that are on the front and back of the case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.