Some good Oldies radio stations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, May 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  2. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

I've been listening to this internet station called SCR Transistor Oldies that only plays music that was on the charts at this precise time of the year in time sweeps from the early 50's up to the mid-80's or so. They do a weekend countdown show too. Pretty good -- but AM radio hits only with some nice surprises here and there.

3. JNTEX

JNTEX Lava Police

I listen to American Routes, it's out of Tulane, but syndicated to some <92 stations, it's available locally to me, also online.

Plays some gritty southern stuff!

here is the upcoming Halloween Program....

Upcoming Shows

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
  4. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

I will ALWAYS go with Oklahoma City's KOMA. Up until a decade or so ago they had as booming a signal that a radio station could have. A lot of 50,000 watt radio stations call themselves the 50000 watt blowtorch--KOMA was every bit of that and then some. Like all stations, they started with humble beginnings-very humble. They officially went on the air in 1922 and at that time they were known as KFJF, broadcasting at 15 watts. By the early 1940's they were renamed KOMA and they were involved in a lot of old time radio programs and later that decade they became the flagship station for college football games. The college--Oklahoma A&M, later to be known as Oklahoma State. The broadcaster is a guy who needs no introduction to NFL fans in the 1970's, AFL fans from the 1960's, and squeezed in time calling games for the Boston Red Sox. One of the great broadcasters in the 20th Century--Curt Gowdy.

For many many years KOMA did top 40 pop/rock and I could pick up their booming signal 680 miles away in Colorado Springs, which is where I grew up. I currently live near Grand Junction and when they were still on AM I could pick them up late at night. That's nearly 900 miles between the cities. Unreal. They went all oldies and would go beyond the usual Jacor/Clear Channel/ am song lineup and they would let it rip on the songs that no other stations would play, like

Blues Theme-Davie Allan/Arrows
    Psychotic Reaction-Count Five
    Hey Joe-Leaves
    Kitty Doyle-Dino Desi and Billy
    Alice Long-Tommy Boyce/Bobby Hart
    L.David Sloane-Michelle Lee
    You Got To Be Loved-Montanas

And dozens and dozens of great 60's tunes. When they went all oldies in the late 1980's (through the early 80's they were country music) they would still play a number of tunes similar to what I listed above. On early Sunday morning it would be an absolute treat to hear "The Wax Museum" curator--that would be Larry Neal. He would pick a week/month/year for the top 50 KOMA countdown, playing all 50 songs from that week/month/year. It was like stepping back in time. And Larry was a wealth of knowledge regarding the music he played.

I miss those days-a lot! You can still catch KOMA on FM 92.5. The AM now is all news KOKC.

If you get a chance, pull up KOMA's website, an interesting story of its early beginnings to getting in to the 50's and 60's and where they are at now!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017
    John Porcellino likes this.
  5. varispeed

varispeed what if?

6. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

K-SURF is wonderful. You can stream it here: LA Oldies

Such a diverse selection of songs from the late 50s to the late 60s. Extra bonus, today I heard "Strawberry Fields Forever", "Twist and Shout" and "I Saw Her Standing There" in a 2-hour span. Nice. ;)

Currently playing Carl Perkins 'Honey Don't".

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  7. PaulKTF

Wow! That sounds awesome! I'll defiantly check it out! Thanks!

Ah I see they're on TuneIn so I could listen to KSUR on my Amazon Echo. Neat!

8. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Apparently streaming worldwide. I was listening in the car today and they broadcast on a high-definition AM frequency. Amazing, all the cool AM compression on a strong signal that doesn't fade in and out.

Right now, the DelFonics "La La Means I Love You", transition to Smokey Robinson "I Second That Emotion".

9. Linus

Linus Senior Member

Down here in Melbourne, we have 3MP, 1377 on the AM dial. Yep, glorious AM lo-fi, the way music used to be played.
    They play a great mix of 50s - 80s hits and not just the same 47 songs FM “classic” rock stations play over and over and over....
    If you live in Melbourne have a listen - you’ll feel like you’re 12 years old again!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
  10. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

Currently "Roll Over Beethoven" by Chuck Berry. Seems if they aren't playing the Beatles they're playing songs they covered or songs that influenced them.

11. PaulKTF

12. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

True. But check it out anyway, they just did "These Eyes" by Guess Who segue to "Lipstick On Your Collar" by Connie Francis to "Summertime" by Billy Stewart. wow. I haven't heard a commercial in 40 minutes. What an oldies goldmine!

13. PaulKTF

I will. It sounds like a really great station. Glad it's streaming.

14. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

BossBossRadio if you loved AM radio in the 60s. Hits and deep cuts.

Celebrated Summer likes this.
  15. pmc7070

pmc7070 Forum Resident

I’ve started listening to ‘Radio Dead’ brilliant station for the listener but unfortunately for the artist one has to have died. Even songs by bands that have lost one member has the chance to be played. The DJ sometimes explains when the artist met their maker.

16. Gordon1

Gordon1 New Member

17. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

One thing I should have also mentioned about this station -- it's all music! No commercials!
    [​IMG]

scratchtasia likes this.
  18. pseudopod

pseudopod Dig Yourself

Still on the air, still commercial-free.
    [​IMG]

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Might wanna check out one of Tom Kent's streams:
    Tom Kent Radio

He was a leading syndicator of evening oldies programming in the days before CBS nuked the Oldies format in so many large markets during the Gulf Was II era. Dude thinks like the great personalities/boss-radio guys used to back when the oldies weren't...old. Now he's on 500 stations and online as well, with more in-between the records than calm, concise robo-deejays following their consultants' orders. Bill Shannon, who does a morning show on the network, is not only a great personality, but V/P of the operation, and one of the most intrepid engineering guys I've ever had the pleasure to work with. Always the "right" version; always the best-sounding version, from the best sources. I have driven into radio markets when he's taken over an oldies station, and you can even tell by listening to his signal on the way into town...somebody finally got it right.

20. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Best I've heard is Steve van Zant's on Sirius.

21. Retro Music Man

Retro Music Man Forum Resident

2UE (operated by Nine Radio in Australia) is highly recommended. It has a very broad playlist spanning from the late '50s to '90s. On a typical day, you'll hear everything from Bill Haley to Crowded House.

They also play many hidden gems. When was the last time you heard "Dreams Are Ten A Penny" by Kincade, "Catch Us If You Can" by the Dave Clark Five or "Jack And Jill" by Ray Parker Jr on the radio?

If you're in Sydney, you can listen on 954AM or DAB+, but those in other countries should be able to stream it online (if it's not geoblocked):
    Sydney's 2UE 954 – We're playing the Greatest Hits

22. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

KOOL 107.1 in Spokane, WA is a great one. They literally play everything with plenty of obscure stuff. I heard them play an Andy Williams track, followed by a Led Zeppelin track. I’m not making that up - it’s just an example of how eclectic their programming is.

KOOL 107.1 | Spokane's #1 Oldies Radio Station | Home

nevergnu likes this.
  23. nevergnu

nevergnu Forum Resident

Live in Spokane also, and love 107.1. Amazing selection of oldies, including some 50's stuff that was a little before my time, but great to hear. Hopefully they will be able to continue broadcasting long into the future. A very small station and listener supported, which I am happy to contribute to.

Hoover Factory likes this.
  24. old45s

old45s MP3 FREE ZONE

Also in Sydney on Wednesday afternoon from 4pm till 7.
    90.1 FM. 2NBC.
    The guy on Wednesday drivetime plays 60's, 70's and 80's... Takes instant requests, any song you like.
    He plays lots of B-sides of old 45's.
    Album tracks. Old radio commercials, old station jingles... PURE NOSTALGIA.
    Sometimes plays old Sydney radio airchecks from the 60's and 70's.
    That's on Wednesdays @ 4pm Sydney time.

Retro Music Man likes this.
  25. Celebrated Summer

Celebrated Summer Forum Resident

Since the year 2008, I've kept a rolling M3U file of Internet radio stations I like. The file starts with oldies stations, then goes into psych, jazz, ambient, experimental, etc. In all, it's around 70 stations and I use it as an online radio dial of sorts.

If you have Winamp the file should work (although no guarantees because I've learned M3U files sometimes don't translate from computer to computer). Still, here is a link if anyone wants to download it (just click on "download" on the left of the page).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.