Some in Hollywood think Rotten Tomatoes is too influential (NY Times)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by JozefK, Sep 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm taking Chris' side on this. Yes, there are other things to do than go to the movies. But, if it's what you like to do, why would you not avail yourself of an option to save money on them. You go to the grocery store, right? Most often the same store, or brand of store? Well then, why would you not get a coupon card from them, for the price of your identity they actually can't confirm until you now have your access to sale prices, perhaps cents-off on gasoline...and by the time they figure out "Fester Bestertester*" isn't your real name...BAM: save a dollar-thirty on K-cups!

And yes, if you think there is nothing good in theaters, or they are "all" brimming with crying babies, cell-phone addicts and The Yak-Pack, you have obviously not seen for yourself. We actually PAY our local indie cinema "membership" every year (not a requirement, but bite me if I like paying only 5 bucks a seat); the more films we see, the more we save. So yes...we see ALL of them. And yes, the average quality is pretty effin' good, thank you very much. Last night we saw Patty Cake, an urban story about a wanna-be rapper in Jersey; it was much better than it sounds, EVEN with a couple of predictable cliches.

There are a few of us in the world who are satisfied with our minor ability to "beat the system". It ain't much, but it is always easier to do, once you stop listening to people who repeat the same old myths about why stuff sucks without seeing it for themselves.

And to bring it all home, Chris says: "And I can find out which ones are good." Gee...looks like someone's been taking advantage of "Rotten Tomatoes"...! :wiggle:

(*Dawk.)**

(**inevitable Don Martin reference)

Dark Mavis, Pete Puma and Chris DeVoe like this.
  2. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Thank you.

I know it's uncharitable of me, but I suspect the rude people are out in the suburbs.
    She's a member of both the Siskel and Music Box. She doesn't have to be, but likes to support them.

She saw that at the Siskel with the director and lead actress and loved it. I need to see it.

If theaters were the hell-holes all these people claim, wouldn't my wife and I be complaining the most?
    Actually, I take advantage of Vickie. I just ask her what's good, knowing that she's seen most of it.

3. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

4. Chris DeVoe

They have to be somewhere, because none of the dozen or so theaters I go to have any of the nonsense that the people who don't go to the theater anymore claim is everywhere. Since I never go to the suburbs, I can only assume they are hotbeds of rudeness. Either that, or people are just making stuff up.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  5. Hollywood is scared to death of Rotten Tomatoes because it's highly influential with younger crowds, particularly the 12-24 crowd that is the bread & butter of Hollywood's box office.

For decades, this demo never cared for reviews and you could usually get them excited about a movie with an ad campaign. The internet has ruined that business strategy with its instant crowd feedback and viral media.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

The internet is also ruining their cherished window release and geo-locking strategy, and it has unleashed new competitors such as Netflix and Amazon. I'm relishing the internet revolution.

goodiesguy and Rufus McDufus like this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Watch "The Raid" and "The Raid 2."

These movies completely redefined what action movies are to me. Absolutely incredible!

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  8. Balthazar

Balthazar Forum Resident

I had assumed you were joking when you said "Chicago, a city world famous for it's quiet nature and shyness." I didn't realize you were serious.

I think it's fair to say that many of us on this forum are on the introverted side, and it might be helpful to differentiate between rudeness and youthful exuberance. What I might refer to as obnoxious behavior is usually just kids being kids, a group of teens out on date night and getting loud. I may not enjoy it, but they're not trying to be rude; they're trying to get laid. The net effect is the same, though. I don't want to be around it. I looked at your wife's Twitter page. She saw Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure tonight. Seeing that and a lot of the other things she goes to see, I can easily imagine that there's no one under 40 in a number of those movies, and probably less than 10 people in the theater most weekday nights you go to the cinema. So, I'm sure you don't see a lot of loud people. They're home doing their homework or at sports practice. Go see the Fate of the Furious on summer break while there's a heat wave and you may have a different experience.

Anyway, congratulations on 35 years together! That was very sweet.

goodiesguy, Chris DeVoe and showtaper like this.
  9. Chris DeVoe

Amazing films! The fact that they are in Korean hardly matters as there is so little actual dialog.

Another astonishing Korean film is Train to Busan.

MartyTem likes this.
  10. Strat-Mangler

Not Korean but Indonesian. But yes, your point stands.

I've never seen the film you mentioned but if it's half as good as The Raid, I'll have to check it out.

I can't even consider watching what passes for an action movie in North-America, now. The Raid is that good.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  11. Chris DeVoe

My mistake - it's been a while since I've seen it.
    It's freaking intense.

We saw it in the theater, and loved it. Sadly, The Raid 2 didn't open in Chicago.

I was kidding, but big-shouldered, hog-butchering Chicago is apparently far more polite than most cities in the US, as bizarre as that seems.

As are Vickie and me. We're not the sort of people to go out drinking with friends, or bowling, or most group activities. Instead, we go to movies.

I didn't mention that we do have a few simple "rules" for seeing movies. For instance, we don't go see action movies on weekend nights. No, weekends are for art-house movies, and we see the action movies on week nights.

Sure, but did you go back far enough to see her go to a dozen Marvel films in a row?

We do have one exception to the "no big popular movies on weekends" rule - the very first showing, when all the huge fans will be there. Nothing like seeing a film in a packed theater full of people who have been waiting for this film for a year or more. And they police their own. The only bad screenings are ones where you have people who didn't decide to see this particular film until just before they bought their ticket.

Ummm...thanks, but no thanks! Thank you Rotten Tomatoes!

We're about as well suited for each other as any two people can be. And we met because of music.

Balthazar likes this.
  12. We have a nice art house theater in our small city (about 110,000) and it is a great value and includes new art movies as well as some blasts from the past (James Bond movies with Sean Connery last winter). Weirdo Wednesdays includes free admission and a mystery movie (they don't list what will be playing). I buy popcorn and a craft beer and enjoy what comes my way much more often than not.

13. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

14. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I think this is it's best feature. I will go on and read the entire review to get the full context of the quote, because sometimes the review's tone may not necessarily be completely "fresh" or "rotten".

drivingfrog and Chris DeVoe like this.
  15. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

I don't trust any of the aggregate sites for more than a very general feeling if the movie is well received or not.

I still visit MRQE.com and find reviews from people I trust (meaning I can see how their tastes align with mine over time and factor that into their review and how it applies to me.)

Personally JoBloMovieEmpororium, et. al, and other net only sites don't factor into my worldview at all.

Brett Ratner does stink - including the Wu tang triumph video. I'll give him Money Talks.

drivingfrog likes this.
  16. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I use their top 100 exclusively. And take it from there. RT is pretty reliable.

McLover likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

4 reviewers call the new movie "????" the greatest thing they've ever seen, 5 stars across the board, one reviewer calls it junk gives it 1 star out of 4.

Rotten Tomatoes rating is 80%.

that's all there is to Rotten Tomatoes, if Hollywood is scared of a review compiler, make better movies......

eric777 and audiomixer like this.
  18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

While Im at it...

What site does a good job of reviewing and rating non american films?

19. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    mpayan likes this.
  20. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

All I can add to this thread is:
    "Thank God for the ignore button". :D

21. Chris DeVoe

Thank you for your contribution. Since you're back, check the "Post a random fact about yourself" thread in Off Topic (General Discussion) area. Starting on page 82, I posted three random facts about myself that you can take into consideration when deciding if I'm a more complex person than you imagine.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

And Hollywood doesn't own the Grainger County, Tennessee farms which make the Rotten Tomato missiles thrown at the screen, when the movies with the worst Rotten Tomato ratings are exhibited either.

23. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I guess the soil quality is what puts that extra acid in those tomatoes, huh. How near is that to the Sequoyah Nuclear Power Plant? (I ask because up here, the tomatoes grow reeeaaal gooood, around Three Mile Island...!)

McLover likes this.
  24. Strat-Mangler

Don't take it personally. Who cares what a random stranger online thinks of you? :)

25. Chris DeVoe

I know, but the facts of my life are so bizarre and unlikely that that I take pride in them.

tomunbound likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.