Some newb questions about storing/playing lossless files

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by gutter b, Apr 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gutter b

gutter b Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've gotten back into CD's this past year and want to dive even deeper thanks to all the stuff I've discovered via spotify. I'm in the process of going through my itunes library and replacing 320kbps files with ALAC ripped from my cd's. This has brought up a bunch of questions about how to actually handle these new huge files.

Should I be ripping them straight to an external HD? Or should that only be used for backing my library up? Or two external HDs?

Can I play my itunes library directly off of an external hd? Or will it try to sync with my laptop's itunes?

Would it require two different computers to have one itunes library with lossless files for home and another library to sync with my car's ipod that just has 320kbps files? Do people listen to lossless files in their car or is that overkill?

2. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

First, take a few moments to complete your gear profile so we can understand what you have to work with.

Meanwhile, you can simply import your music as Apple Lossless into iTunes. Then it can be used in various ways around your house. For mobile use, you can sync those lossless files to your iPod or tell iTunes to scale them down to 256kbps. You can decide if that is sufficient for car use (I suspect it is fine). Personally, I just sync about 6GB of lossless to my phone each week which is about 20 albums usually. I do that because that is a nice set to digest for a while. Plus, I am OCD so having lossless does not make me twitch :D

After you tell us your gear, we can talk about how to use the iTunes lossless files in your home.

3. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I hope you're not ripping them in iTunes... if you hate having to rip everything twice, you'll hate having to rip everything 3 times even more

Aura likes this.
  4. hesson11

hesson11 Forum Resident

I know there are many who share your opinion, MrRom, and I have no reason to doubt your experience. But I think gutter b, as a new member and something of a novice, should be aware that there are many others, myself among them, who have been ripping CDs in iTunes for years without a problem. It's best to perhaps do some googling on the subject to get a wide perspective of opinions.
    -Bob

5. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Same here...ripping ALAC via iTunes is fine, IMHO. The OP needs to figure out the other parts of their plan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.