Some of Jethro Tull to reunite next year

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bRETT, Apr 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member Thread Starter

Just interviewed Martin Barre who revealed that he's doing a 50th anniversary of Tull tour next year, and that a few classic-era members will be involved. He wouldn't reveal all the names because the ink is not dry as yet, but did confirm Clive Bunker (and of course confirmed that it will not include Ian Anderson).

Considering the quality of Martin's work nowadays, this stands to be pretty great.

2. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

Cool, but without Ian, it just cannot be the same. Too bad Ian is so hard to get along with.

nick99nack, AidanB, Hep Alien and 7 others like this.
  3. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Agreed. I love Martin... and most former Tull members... but you simply can't have "Jethro Tull" without Ian. For all the criticism Ian may receive, and complaints about his voice etc., to me he is the heart, soul, and musical visionary that has driven the band forward all these years. If there is a musical prodigy in the group... it's Ian (and I believe he is one). There, I've said it. Let the criticism begin. I know it's coming.

4. bRETT

he won't be calling it Jethro Tull, it will just be Martin with some other familiar faces celebrating the band. Got to say I already like it better than Ian's string quartet album.

5. Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut

Sarah S. The Hendrix Nut Well-Known Member

Would be interesting to see Tony Iommi turn up for a show or two!

head_unit, jlf, EddieMann and 16 others like this.
  6. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I'd be interested in checking this out. Martin was great on Saturday, as always.

7. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

As bRETT mentioned above, nowhere does it say that he's calling it Jethro Tull.

MikaelaArsenault and seed_drill like this.
  8. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

That would be a pretty cool show. I saw the Martin Barre Band a couple of weeks and he's still got the chops and is in great spirits! The singer and 2nd guitar player, Dan or David Crisp sounded very good singing the Tull songs.

And yes, Tony Iommi sitting in some of the shows would be icing on the cake.

9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Interesting. Hmm, who else from Tull would show up? I guess we could have Mick Abrahams and Martin together, or Clive Bunker and Barrie Barlow.

Hep Alien likes this.
  10. Redwood

Redwood Forum Resident

Maybe he could call it 'Martin Barre's Seed Drill' ? ;)

11. bRETT

My guess is that Dave Pegg will be on bass, and Barrie sharing the drumming-- Both have been in Martin's circle (Pegg recommended his current bass player) so they look likely. I guess the big question is whether John Evan will be coaxed out of retirement.

12. Redwood

Redwood Forum Resident

Maybe he could call it 'Martin Barre's Seed Drill'? ;)

13. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

I read that wrong, figures. No Ian? OK I know people are tired of me saying No Fish No YES, but and it's a big butt.... No Ian No.... Sorry but he is Tull. I mean back in the 70's do you realize how many people didn't get that the guy with the flute was Ian! They thought he was named Jethro Tull! Hmmmm! Peace Iam

14. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

How about Tull Jethro?

Or Jeffro Tull?

Or, Jethro Bodine Tull? :D

Murph and rockinlazys like this.
  15. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Jethrene

joelee and rockinlazys like this.
  16. hominy

hominy Digital Drifter

Jethro Toe ;)

17. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I would go see them if enough of the classic lineup shows up.

I once saw a band named Abraxas, who were all the original members of the Santana band without Carlos Santana. There were fantastic! I am sure anything Martin Barre puts together will be great. Ian Anderson is probably trying to wrap up Jethro Tull now that he is getting up there in age. However, that does not mean that the music has to quit being played, that would be silly.

18. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

Ian Anderson has become an angry old man. They are better off without him. I worked a show of his @Ravinia (2013 or 14) and he was anal about everything and did just Locomotive Breath towards the end of a set of all very obscure Tull songs. Glad I didn't have to pay like the fans did.

Maybe Martin can find another Arnel Pineda (Journey) to do the vocals.

19. ScramMan2

ScramMan2 Forum Resident

The BoDeans name is already taken. And since Sam Llanas quit THEY are also a cover band.

highway chile likes this.
  20. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

Sounds awesome- this is going to be a way more authentic tull experience compared to an Ian solo show...

21. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Shucks, I was hoping for "Thick As A Brick 4"....

22. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I'd like to see this.

rockinlazys likes this.
  23. Nice, but I'd be interested only if Ian Anderson had been involved. I just can't imagine Jethro Tull music without his voice and flute.

Rooster_Ties and Todd W. like this.
  24. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

On the other hand, we've had to learn to cope with Ian Anderson without his voice, so...

25. CBS 65780

CBS 65780 "Could I do one more immediately?"

How about Jethro Tull featuring Anderson, Rabin and Wakeman?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.