Some of the best concerts you have seen would include…

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tree-bot, Mar 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tree-bot

Tree-bot Senior Member Thread Starter

Fleetwood Mac, Little River Band, Santana, Kevin Borich Express, Creation in front of 70,000 people at Calder Raceway November 1977. It was actually Santana and in particular Little River Band that stole the show from Fleetwood Mac. Overall, an excellent day/night.
    Thin Lizzy, The Angels, Jon English, Wha-Koo at Sidney Myer Music Bowl October 1978. Thin Lizzy were amazing...Gary Moore!
    Kiss at Waverley Football Ground November 1980. It was their first tour here and it was the spectacle more than the performance that I enjoyed. A great experience.
    Cold Chisel, INXS, Mondo Rock at Festival Hall March 1981. Cold Chisel were always a brilliant live act. INXS were really cool even before they hit the big time. Mondo Rock had some great hits here and were always good live.
    Stevie Ray Vaughan at Melbourne Concert Hall October 1984. I saw him twice on that tour. The first show in particular was outstanding. I couldn't believe how good this guy was.
    Bruce Springsteen & The East Street Band at Melbourne Showgrounds along with 50,000 others on his Born In The USA tour April 1985.
    The Eurythmics at The Entertainment Centre Melbourne March 1987. Annie Lennox was incredible. A much better show than I was expecting. Blondie's excellent drummer Clem Burke was their drummer at the time.

I'll post more later so that this post isn't too long.

DesertHermit and teodoro like this.
  2. phil1

phil1 Forum Resident

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band
    Bruce Springsteen solo
    Bruce Springsteen And The Seger Sessions Band..........

dbacon, Tree-bot and teodoro like this.
  3. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

Paul McCartney at Citi Field 2009
    The Kinks: in Portland, Maine following GIVE THE PEOPLE WHAT THEY WANT and STATE OF CONFUSION (Ian Hunter also a great opening act for one of the shows)
    Bruce Springsteen in Springfield, Mass following DARKNESS ON THE EDGE OF TOWN
    The Ramones at University of Maine at Farmington early 1980's
    Paul Simon at Old Orchard Beach following RHYTHM OF THE SAINTS
    Rick Pinette & Oak several times in Maine and Massachusetts late 70's/early 80's (Pinette was a great showman)
    The Pretenders in Portland, Maine following LEARNING TO CRAWL

davers and Tree-bot like this.
  4. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Michael Nesmith at Bergen PAC theater in Englewood NJ. 2013
    I'm a Monkees fan but never went to see them.
    A friend who works at the theater got me free tickets.
    10th row. Good show.

Tree-bot likes this.
  5. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Weather Report at the Orpheum Theatre in Boston in 1976... Just happened to be in town and bought tickets on Friday night for the Sunday concert. Jaco had just joined the band; I didn't know him but certainly did by the end of the concert. Awesome show, John McLaughlin and Shakti were the opening act.

DocCasualty, MoonPool, DLeet and 3 others like this.
  6. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

One of the most enjoyable concerts was when I was a college student at UC San Diego - I think it was 1980 or there abouts.

I was working part time in the Revelle College cafeteria.

That week I saw there was a concert in Mandeville Center for a jazz artist - Jean Luc Ponty.

So, I said, what the heck - bought my ticket on a Wednesday - had to work that Friday washing trays and dishes for dinner then ran over to Mandeville for the concert still in my Revelle Food Services t-shirt and sat down in a half filled auditorium and was...blown...away!!

Mark E. Moon, davers and Tree-bot like this.
  7. Tree-bot

Icehouse
    at a club that was called The Venue (in St Kilda) 1986/87 (??). I saw them twice there within 2 weeks. The first gig was brilliant. Their latest album out at that time was the excellent "Measure For Measure".
    Pink Floyd at the National Tennis Centre February 1988. The sound was amazing and the performance excellent. I'll always remember One Of These Days starting the second part of the show straight after the intermission - the hair on my arms stood up.
    Sting at the National Tennis Centre November 1988 was so professional and cool at the same time. Superb sound and band.
    Aerosmith at the National Tennis Centre October 1988 rocked the house down. Sensational show. Steve Tyler really turned it on.
    Concrete Blonde, Andy Prieboy at The Metro Nightclub November 1990. Johnette Napolitano is my equal favourite vocalist ever (along with a few others). She casually walked out and joined Andy Prieboy during his set to perform "Tomorrow Wendy" before the Concrete Blonde set. Superb. And the Concrete Blonde set was so cool. What a vocalist!
    The Cure, Underground Lovers at Flinders Park Tennis Centre (formerly the National Tennis Centre) August 1992. Robert Smith didn't interact with the audience much but the music & stage lighting great, on the back of the very good "Wish" album. Underground Lovers were cool, but they were to get better in the years to come.
    Peter Gabriel at Flinders Park Tennis Centre February 1994 was outstanding. His charisma and ace band which included living legend Tony Levin on bass was a show that I will never forget.

More to come...

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I saw Tony Rice and David Grisman play together in a barn in West Virginia somewhere around 2005.

footlooseman and Tree-bot like this.
  9. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Stones - MSG '98/'03/'06 -
    Monkees - Paramount, Huntington, NY '12
    R.E.M. - Great Woods, Mansfield, MA, June '95 (3 shows)
    The Hives - Irving Plaza '04
    Bruce - Giants Stadium, 7/31/08
    Redd Kross - Irving Plaza, Sept. '06
    Radiohead - Avalon, Boston, 4/13/96
    Dead Milkmen - Warsaw, Brooklyn, May '09
    Too Much Joy - T.T. the Bear's, Cambridge '91
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Orpheum, Boston '90
    Pixies - Coachella '04

Tree-bot likes this.
  10. spiral sea

spiral sea Well-Known Member

The Black Crowes '92,'93,'95,'97,'06,'11
    Ryan Adams & The Sweetheart Revolution '02
    Queens Of The Stone Age '02
    Arcade Fire '07
    Iron Maiden '88

Tree-bot likes this.
  11. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Saw Country Joe and the Fish at the old Minneapolis Labor Temple.
    No chairs, everyone sat on the floor with a nice pot smoke haze in the air.
    Needless to say quite a night!

Hitch hiking home and got picked up by an old Packard full of "hippies";
    you know, those long haired pot smoking people that we've all heard about.
    Got left off at old St. Paul Midway Stadium just when It's a Beautiful Day
    was singing White Bird and it was a beautiful day.

Tree-bot likes this.
  12. DLD

DLD Senior Member

Best I've ever seen, as far as energy level, and nothing else comes close, were the MC5, twice, 2 weeks apart, in a small(200), sweaty beer joint in Baton Rouge in 1971(?)
    Elton John on his Honky Chateau tour. As close to the MC5, as far as energy level, as any other act I've seen
    Fleetwood Macs 1975 tour, right after S/T w/Rhiannon came out, simply awesome in a smallish (2,000) venue. Light years better than when we saw them on the RUmours tour in a mega venue
    Sonny Landreth, at the New Orleans' Jazz Festival, 2004(5?)

Tree-bot likes this.
  13. Tree-bot

Hole, Magic Dirt, Sour Puss at The Palace January 1995. This stands as great a gig as I have ever seen. Hole were great. Magic Dirt were fantastic. I can’t remember Sour Puss. It had been a day that reached over 40 degrees Celsius (100 degrees Fahrenheit). The air-conditioning was ineffective inside the club so much that condensation was streaming down the walls. The heat inside was so bad that free water bottles had to be given out as the energetic crowd were dehydrating. No complaints though. The place was absolutely pumping. I remember at the end of the gig everyone in the packed house were drenched in sweat, hair stuck to heads & faces, make-up running down…no complaints though!
    The Offspring at The Palace January 1995 was an amazing night. Only 8 days after the Hole gig at the same venue. They were flying. The energy inside the club was full-on. It was great to see Dexter Holland come down into the crowd to meet the fans as soon immediately after they finished. I got to see them again the very next day at a festival.
    The Big Day Out (festival) at Melbourne Showgrounds 1995. Fantastic day/night. Acts that I chose to see that day were: the headline act Ministry – boy were they loud…and excellent; The Cult; The Dirty Three; Magic Dirt; The Offspring; Hole; Cosmic Psychos; Screaming Trees; Fireballs; Fur. I missed a few acts as they were on at the same time on a different stage. Some of those acts that I missed included Primal Scream, Silverchair, and TISM.

14. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I am so jealous..two of my musical idols and I have never seen them live.
    Wow..I am speechless !!
    Glen

Dennis0675 likes this.
  15. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Linda Ronstadt at The Cellar Door in Washington in 1971/2, twice
    Bob Dylan / The Band on the Before the Flood tour
    Arlo Guthrie on his current Alice's Restaurant 50th Anniversary Tour

RandyP and Tree-bot like this.
  16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I didn't think anyone would be interested so I cut the description short. It was amazing.

It was held at farm in pretty high elevation, it was called "the Brew-glass" fest. There was a big stage in a field surrounded by thick forest and it was raining like hell (and cold). The promoters decided to move the evening performances into a wooden barn that had a stage and couldn't hold much more than 500 people. The three bands were scheduled to play (separately) were tony rice, David Grisman and then John Cowan.

Tony drove himself in his 2004 Black Mustang Cobra. there was only one way into the Barn so he came walking through the crowd with just his Guitar. Anyway, he did his set, David came out and did some stuff with the Quintet and then tony came out and just the two of them did a couple songs from Tone Poems. The rest of the Ban joined back it and they raged some bluegrass and some stuff off the first DGQ album.

It was crazy good.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    Archtop and Tree-bot like this.
  17. spiral sea

spiral sea Well-Known Member

Wilco '12
    Jayhawks & Golden Smog '97
    The Gathering '04
    Greg Dulli & Mark Lanegan '09
    Mark Lanegan '10
    The Rolling Stones '03

18. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

KISS - Pensacola, FL, 2009. Blew my mind.

DeLuna Fest - Pensacola, FL, 2012 - Foo Fighters/Pearl Jam/Guided By Voices/Joan Jett and loads more

Gary Mullen & The Works - Fort Pierce, FL, 2014. Holy **** they were so fantastic I would rather go see them again than see the current lineup of Queen. No exaggeration.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

many to list live..so I'll go to the ones I was I was at:
    Forever Changes Concert
    Aimee Mann-St Ann's Warehouse...

20. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Arlo is a nice guy...met him at the 1994 Woodstock reunion Concert in Bethel NY...he did a fabulous Comin Into Los Angeles...

21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Kate Bush, Hammersmith Apollo, September 2nd, 2014 - nothing before can touch it.

Dead Can Dance, The Vic Theater, date unknown ( sorry, just not good with dates) The thing that was so astounding about this concert was that the whole audience was so stunned by their first song that nobody wanted to break the spell by clapping! The band looked at each other, apparently thinking the audience hated them and launched into their second song. After that song, the whole place erupted in clapping and cheering.

Jane Siberry, The Black Orchid, "When I Was A Boy" tour. Just her and former Large Band pianist Tim Rice. A decade or moreon, I can still raise the hair on my arm recalling that show.

Holly Cole Trio, The Daily Grill, "Don't Smoke In Bed" Tour - as amazing as Train Song sounds on disc, it was even better live.

22. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

First concert ever, 1977, Eagles, Steve Miller, Atlantic Rhythm Section, Heart, Foreigner

23. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Just a few...

The Dismemberment Plan
    , on their farewell tour in 2003, at The Echo Lounge in Atlanta.
    Akron/Family, many, many times, but their early shows with all four original members were astounding.
    The Wrens, in Austin, during The Meadowlands tour(s?), around 2004, I think. Probably the best rock show I've ever seen live.

24. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

ELP in Houston
    Leslie West
    Zappa
    Bowie in Perth
    Rod Stewart in Singapore.
    Dylan 'Hurricane Carter' concert in the Astrodome, Houston.
    Frampton in Austin.
    Clapton at the Berkeley Community Theater.

I honestly can't remember 9/10ths of all the concerts I've been to. Filmore West, Winterland. '70.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  25. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Ringo Starr and His All-Starr Band (the first half-dozen versions, and especially version 4 with Frampton)
    Leo Kottke/Michael Hedges double bill
    Eric Johnson
    The Dregs
    McCartney Flowers In The Dirt tour

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.