Some of the DOORS 45 mixes are so superior to the LP mixes! I wanna know why!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Listen to TOUCH ME. Centers the drums and bass, holds back the orchestra which is overpowering on the album. Why wasn't THIS version chosen for the album?

hi_watt, dee, fortherecord and 43 others like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Now, The Unknown Soldier. This is a perfect mix. The album version sux compared to it. WHY?

3. Steve Hoffman

Hear how much more powerful this is? Why is the album version such a wimpfest?

So, my question is, were these mixes done FIRST? Or, after the album versions were mixed?

Doors experts (I know you're here) explain!

dee, fortherecord, jazon and 12 others like this.
  4. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

It does lack the "Stronger Than Dirt" bit at the end though. (For the youngsters here, that was an Ajax commercial that the closing of "Touch Me" quotes musically).

5. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

It's a tad OTT, but I like this one even better,

6. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Always thought that was cheesy. Dates the song.

ostrichfarm, dirie, rxcory and 3 others like this.
  7. O Don Piano

So these are on the just-released "Doors Singles" comp?
    If so, I am TOTALLY in!!!

8. O Don Piano

I wonder if that choice was made because of the contemporary trend on 1969 hits was to emphasize strings? You'd think the 45 would have been the LP mix, and this one on the LP.

9. O Don Piano

Wow- the gunshot is much more effective here!
    Jim's voice is less covered in reverb here.

10. Steve Hoffman

That sounds like a fold of the album version to me. Even has the STRONGER THAN DIRT at the end..

11. O Don Piano

Jim sounds a little more sinister here- must be the mix. I never realized that's what the song is about until now.

12. bumbletort

bumbletort Senior Member

Stronger than dirt! Love it. No Comparison.

john lennonist likes this.
  13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Yes !

14. hoggydoggy

hoggydoggy Forum Resident

Seems sorta strange, if they're gonna do a fold, to NOT do it to the dedicated single mix, doesn't it?

EDIT: I just realised: the mono radio promo mix is on the new 2-CD set, isn't it? (Haven't got it yet) I'd be interested to hear it through my proper system.

15. adad

adad Forum Resident

Wow
    whats the story behind these? just remastered?

Old Rusty and bluemooze like this.
  16. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

These mixes almost had to have been done first, as they preceded their albums by many months.

"Touch Me" was released as a single in December 1968. The album The Soft Parade wasn't issued until July 1969. Three of the singles that appeared on that album had already been released by the time the LP came out (also "Wishful Sinful" and "Tell All the People").

"The Unknown Soldier" and "We Could Be So Good Together" (the A and B side of the same single) was released in March 1968. Waiting for the Sun was issued in July 1968. The single, by the way, was mono.

In fact, the two albums debuted on the chart exactly 364 days apart (August 10, 1968 for WFTS and August 9, 1969 for TSP).

Ergo, the single mixes were done first. Why different mixes were done for the albums is anyone's guess.

17. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

hmm...gonna counter your opinion with mine:)
    This holds true just for Touch Me. I agree with you on We Can Be....
    Maybe I'm just too used to the quad version, but I don't care for this version of Touch Me at all really.
    Nice to have the centered drums but here the drums and organ overpower everything. I like the complex arrangement strings brass 'n all and this version pushes them back to the point of near inaudible. I also think Jim's vocal sounds distant and boxed in here. The Harpsichord also wimps out to nothing here. MHO of course.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    hi_watt, john lennonist and swsix like this.
  18. Pelvis Ressley

Pelvis Ressley Down in the Jungle Room

Nah, that's not the mono promo mix. What that sounds like is a fold of the compressed/EQ'ed version from the WSP Heavy Metal compilation.

19. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

This is the one I'm used to. I never heard the stronger than dirt til recently.

20. Steve Hoffman

Well, I had the stereo single of TOUCH ME since it came out but I'm trying to figure out why they felt it needed remixing. The remix (for the SOFT PARADE LP) essentially took out the Doors and added an orchestra. Can't figure out why that needed to be done, especially since the single had been on the radio for so long already. Did they feel they needed to change it around for the new album since it was stale?

These are all questions I should ask Bruce Botnick but I'm sure he's sick of talking about this stuff by now. But WE, we never get sick of it! :^)

21. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

I like the more pronounced guitar fretboard runs (like a car revving sound) on the mono BOT. I also dig the bass intro on the mono WCBSGT. Who Scared You is also much better here without the puking.

22. I just scored this Canuck-pressed 45 of 'Love Her Madly' for a buck & it's quite different from the album version. The mix is in Mono & it has an early fade that shaves off about the last 30 seconds of the song. Weird. Good & punchy sounding though...
    The Doors - Love Her Madly

Simon A likes this.
  23. Doors fan for decades but I'd never heard any of the single mixes. This set is really a revelation. In some cases it feels like hearing the song for the first time again.

24. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Senior Member

Lots of different mixes here. How many are identical to the album versions. Is there a list of differences anywhere?

25. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

For a AOR group, The Doors put a lot of time and effort into their singles, in many instances improving on the album versions.

I'm still amazed it's taken this long for the singles to see a digital release. I've had to make do with needledrops for years.

kwadguy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.