Some of the DOORS 45 mixes are so superior to the LP mixes! I wanna know why!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

The Doors were able to be a 'singles' band when needed and when they were trying to create a hit, but I think they were primarily an 'album' band.
    I imagine the singles that flopped didn't have much involvement with the band. I imagine those decisions were more Elektra's.

2. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Probably, yeah.
    I was very young (4) when the song was a hit. I don't recall "Touch Me" being played much after it was a hit. When I rediscovered them just around the "American Prayer" album release, I didn't know they said "stronger than dirt" until it was pointed out to me!

3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

They're not rewriting history, dude! The 45 version doesn't have "stronger than dirt" in the mix. And, the 45 was released 7 months before The Soft Parade. Research :)

Oh, Ajax is still on the shelves, too. So, people born after that commercial still know what Ajax is.

McLover and stushea like this.
  4. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I think this was even more true in the 1980s where many 12" 45s blow away the LP tracks eg Prince, The Smiths. I assume this happened for the same reason that 45 rpm picture sleeves were often more colorful and striking than the LP covers - handled at lower levels of the company by young talent with less oversight?

But I completely agree with our Host's complaints. As I said in another thread I think pop rock LP mixes are generally quite poor.

5. James_S888

James_S888 Forum Resident

This upcoming Doors singles box set.
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know if this is all analogue? Ie., no digital steps?
    it says mastered from the analogue tapes, but this is all too often marketing ********. Yes, DIGITALLY mastered from the original analogue tapes and pressed DIGITAL files to vinyl.

rxcory and alexpop like this.
  6. James_S888

Marketing Bull*h*it...

7. James_S888

If this set is all analogue and the original single mixes, like Steve Hoffman is talking about, I'm in for a set.
    Digital, forget it. I'll go get it on HD Tracks when it comes up. Like the Ray Charles box set....

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Enquiring minds wanna know ?

9. James_S888

Well, the set is up on HD Tracks, at 192/24 resolution.
    My guess - assumption - is that the singles box set is 192/24 files pressed to vinyl.
    Which means a purchase from HD Tracks.
    Anyone have any information pointing to an analogue job on the box set???...............

Despite the line: "Mastered from the original analog single masters".....

10. swsix

swsix Member

Yes after hearing Touch Me I agree with what you're saying, that orchestra is pushed back too far & those drums are in your face too much. Just my opinion too of course!

lennonfan1 likes this.
  11. Dylancat

Dylancat Forum Resident

The examples posted sound much better than the familiar LP versions.
    IMHO

12. halfjapanese

halfjapanese Gifs moider!

I was old enough to have heard the stronger than dirt commercial many times. Regardless, if Touch Me was played to its end, I always capped it with, "TEQUILA!"

Ajax didn't register.

onlyacanvasky likes this.
  13. mdent

mdent Forum Resident

Sweet! I didn't know this existed. "Touch me" is my kind of mix.

14. Finchingfield

Finchingfield Forum Resident

15. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

James, can't answer your specific question, I just know that the CDs and especially the quad blu-ray were the most enjoyable music I've heard in 2017. That package was $18 on amazon, just the cds about $15, and the 45s are $150. There is a Doors the Singles thread that is up to 50 pages now that would probably provide a lot of specifics for you, but I'd recommend taking a chance on it. Plus the host of the forum is giving it some pretty high praise

Preston likes this.
  16. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I am? Haven't heard it.

17. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Even more impressive.

18. Dan Steele

Dan Steele Senior Member

Oops, I must have misunderstood your opening 3 posts. I took them as you were complementing the new Doors Singles versions of Touch Me, etc. My apologies.

19. 9la

9la Forum Resident

Those four flop singles included "You Make Me Real" / "Roadhouse Blues", and "Wishful Sinful"; very cool records. I also like the other two.

These were the four Doors singles released following the notorious "Miami incident", with promoters and some radio stations banning the group, although all four A-sides received limited airplay on AM radio.

20. Steve Hoffman

No problem, I'm listening now and will report back shortly.

21. David del Toro

David del Toro Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure all of the examples you've given were released months before the album. Funny, a lot of the changed made on the 40th anniversary mixes reflected the original single mixes, the extra vocals in Roadhouse Blues, the horns being panned down on Touch Me, they're all there. Maybe Paul Rothchild was trying to make the Doors sound more "Pop-Friendly" as many accused them of being.

22. Steve Hoffman

OK, so I got off my butt and listened. Buy the two CD set for 12 bucks at Amazon. It's totally worth it. First of all, the mastering is not compressed or brickwalled in any way. In fact, it's the old fashioned style, where the loud songs are lowered in volume and the more dynamic songs increased. Just like on the BEATLES MONO CD BOX. Perfect.

Old dudes, go immediately to disk two, track 15, the mono radio mix of HELLO, I LOVE YOU. Bet you haven't heard that version since 1968 on your AM radio. It's amazing. Then, track 16 TOUCH ME, mono radio mix. This is a majestic mix we also haven't heard in over 45 years and then only on AM radio. Then, (and I'm drooling typing this) play track 17, the mono radio mix of WISHFUL SINFUL. This is mono mixing art at its peak. I think it's a lost art now. I assume Bruce Botnick did everything on here that is Jim related. This mono stuff (including the stuff on disk one) is just MONO MIX PERFECTION the way only Bruce Botnick could do it, the master of the single mix.

Now, go to disk one and crank it. Some of the songs are just edits of longer versions but some are unique mono mixes that are f****** amazing to hear in proper sound after all of these years.

No idea where most of these single masters came from, they sure weren't in the DOORS VAULT so I assume Bruce and associates tracked them down. A worthy project.

Buy it, now. No excuse not to.

23. James_S888

Before I go onto HD Tracks and pull the trigger on the 192/24 hi res files, can someone confirm to me that the mixes are all the right mixes, the same as the CD box?
    It's 60$ so rather different than just 12 bucks from Amazon.

24. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What's the 45rpm singles box like, same mixes as the 2 CD?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.