Some Unusual,Different,Obscure New Zealand Pressings & Labels(various artists.....)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by william shears, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. william shears

william shears Senior Member Thread Starter

Since first moving to NZ almost 20 years ago I've been fascinated by the profusion of original NZ pressings. For a country of only 3.5 million (in the 60s) it amazes me just how many different titles and artists were issued here. Some pressing runs numbered in the 100s. When I first came here the NZ pressings could be picked up for next to nothing. Now there is quite a demand from overseas. NZ 60s vinyl was thick and juicy with laquers sourced from either the US or UK or even sometimes cut from tapes specially made for the 'colonial' market. Here is a selection of releases...
    The NZ 1968 pressing of Please Please Me. Only issued on the apple label for a short time. Revolver and Rubber soul were also given this label briefly. 3 sided 'flipback' sleeve. Deadwax reads 'YEX -421' only... no other information!
    :) william

Attached Files:

2. william shears

Sometimes budget restraints meant that the cover printing would drop one of the 'process' colours, usually black (a dark tone can be recreated by using the remaining colours). This meant that often you would have the rear of the sleeve printed in blue only!
    Here is a mono copy of the We Five album on the NZ label 'Festival'. Terrific sound on this copy, almost mint. Deadwax... triangle shape then 8350 - x LP - 122 (MR) :)

Attached Files:

3. william shears

All of the Gordy/Soul/Tamla etc stuff was issued under the 'tamla motown' label. Pink as you can see. Laminated covers similar to the UK tamla pressings. :)

Attached Files:

4. william shears

The local red parlophone variation.....

Attached Files:

5. william shears

Atlantic 45s looked like this....

Attached Files:

6. william shears

Atlantic 33s looked like this.....

Attached Files:

7. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

I know I've picked up a handful of NZ presses over the past couple of years that were fantastic.

One in particular sticks out in my mind: Scotty Moore's "The Guitar That Changed the World", an original 1964 press. The vinyl was heavy and the sound quality was incredible. I would imagine, at least based on the 60s NZ vinyl I've picked up, that it ranks with the best.

dale

8. william shears

What a great song, what a great track. Sounds like it was recorded in a shed though. What became of Roy C? Who was 'hammond productions' and what other artists recorded for 'Jameco Records'? :)

Attached Files:

9. william shears

Thats a very sought after album DG...was it expensive?
    William
    :)

10. william shears

Was this ep released in the US?

Attached Files:

11. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

It was moderately expensive I guess. I think I paid about US$35-$40 IIRC (before shipping). But it was in amazing condition -- solid NM vinyl without a single mark and not a tick or bit of unwanted surface noise and in punchy mono. One of my all time best scores...

Dale

PS: But my point was not 'I got a great score' but that like you, I've discovered NZ pressed vinyl can be among the best anywhere. As you pointed out, for a country with such a small market, it is amazing that all these great 60s acts got pressed at all, let alone in such nice quality. I'd be willing to bet, based on what you've already posted, you may well be in line to make some great finds in the future.

12. william shears

'66 red label variation...

Attached Files:

13. william shears

:righton: a very nice score indeed!
    William

14. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

What a cool thread. Keep em coming!

15. william shears

My pleasure

If the Joe Meek sound rocks yer boat you'll love these. The Outlaws album was for many years one of the most collectible UK records. But what about the NZ? Probably only 1000 of these released down here. A paper US style cover, super thick vinyl, stone cold mint. This album sounds FANTASTIC, wicked twangin' guitar stuff with the patent Joe Meek production. This was one of his first ever projects. Richie Blackmore was the guitarist in the group but only on the later singles, not this album. This is one of my prized possesions.....

Attached Files:

16. william shears

Another outrageous sounding Joe Meek mono production. Decca NZ used this label right through til the mid-60s....

Attached Files:

17. william shears

Another great 'twangin' album (Vic Flick..a great guitar player)..'61 or '62. Again really thick, heavy vinyl and glorious mono. I love the sleeve on this one :righton:

Attached Files:

18. william shears

By 1966 the Columbia NZ label had changed from green and silver to green and white....(the Georgie Fame tracks on this album are righteous sounding mono, superb..the Animals sound great too)

Attached Files:

19. william shears

The stereo columbia label in '66 looked like this. Very swish!

Attached Files:

20. If I am correct the "His Master's Voice" and "Columbia" labels are EMI New Zealand, not RCA and CBS-Sony in the US. HMV in OCeania is EMI not RCA or JVC. Back then Columbia was EMI outside of the North America and Japan. Now it is Sony owned everywhere except Japan (Denon).

Am I correct?

P.S. Great thread!

21. william shears

The chess catalogue was issued with laminated sleeves like the UK. :)

Attached Files:

22. william shears

Some labels took stuff from a variety of US sources..

Attached Files:

23. william shears

Vee-Jay were handled by TopRank/Allied down here..

Attached Files:

24. william shears

EMI and all its various labels were pressed up by HMV in NZ. It gets confusing though because EMI UK had Verve/MGM for a while before Polydor/Philips/Polygram picked it up so sometimes NZ releases follow UK, sometimes US depending on the ability to sort out rights/distribution etc. I'm no expert..its pretty confusing. CBS came through often as 'Coronet'...I'll post some stuff to illustrate

25. Ben Sinise

Ben Sinise Forum Reticent

Great scans WS, keep 'em coming :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.