some wise words from Tom Petty

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jul 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

2. 905

905 Senior Member

I'm sure people will be posting examples that are contrary soon :D

3. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

Good line but I doubt his next one was, "But if you were the captain of a starship on a TV show, or even its pointy eared science officer, you could get a multi record deal."

It's still fame and free publicity, only a different way to kick off a career, one that Shatner has kept going for almost 50 years.

4. SwollenGoat

SwollenGoat Forum Resident

That didn't take long...:laugh:

MarkO, Thurenity and 905 like this.
  5. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yeah, because in his generation there weren't any tv shows like the Ted Mack Amateur Hour or Arthur Godfrey. And nobody would have dared put out records by a band who was created just for a sitcom or anything like that.....

....as the result of shows like Idol and The Voice and Nashville Star have shown us, either you've got the goods or you don't. Everybody needs a break at some point in their career--Tom Petty included. It's very possible that without American Idol the world would never know Carrie Underwood or Kelly Clarkson or Chris Daughtry, but to say at this point that they aren't as deserving of their success as are other similar stars who came up through different paths is absurd.

Timmy84, Michael P, Chip Z and 11 others like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks for posting this OP.

7. Jason Michael

Jason Michael Senior Member

I am not sure that Shatner and Nimoy prove your point as they were pretty much laughed at for their attempts at music in the 60s whereas now people who compete on the game shows are treated as serious artists in many circles.

8. Things were better back in my day and I look down my nose at everything that is popular today. :rolleyes:

mikee, Bolero, drasil and 11 others like this.
  9. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Not to mention a little girl called Miranda Lambert.

10. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Remind me to go nowhere near Mr Petty's lawn...

11. sami

sami Mono still rules

So true.

cwd, Dave, Coricama and 1 other person like this.
  12. beatlematt

beatlematt Forum Resident

It's full of grass and weed!

13. videoman

videoman Senior Member

She was on Nashville Star, correct? And didn't win, IIRC. And she's 10 times the singer that her husband is who came up via more traditional means.

But both are obviously deserving because in this business, you're only as good as your last release and you have to keep proving yourself year in and year out. At this point it doesn't matter one whit how Miranda got her first record deal. Being able to do something with that big break is what it's all about.

If everyone who won those game shows went on to success, Petty would have a point. But they don't. Very few do. Can Petty tell us why? Or is he just going to be Mr Grumpy Pants?

Mai Tem Baht likes this.
  14. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I agree.

Still, there are serious actors/singers who made the leap. Richard Harris and his huge hit of MacArthur Park comes to mind. I have a record of Jack Lemmon singing and playing cool jazz piano. He's actually quite talented. Walter Brennan is a personal favorite of mine. I have a number of his LPs. He spoke his songs more than he sang them but they are quite good and he was dead serious about his performances.

However you get your break, you take it, as videoman pointed out.

15. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I won't back down. So don't do me like that cause I won't come around here no more.

16. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Exactly right. The show is just another way for people to get exposure - no different than Ed Sullivan or Hullabaloo, really, in a lot of ways. And for every Underwood and Lambert, there're plenty of winners and high-finishers on those contest shows who have fizzled fast.

videoman likes this.
  17. videoman

videoman Senior Member

What isn't commonly known because those shows have a certain script they need to adhere to (Idol especially, The Voice is more open about it) is that few of the contestants are true amateurs. Many have been struggling in the business with various degrees of success for years. They are just another platform for getting yourself out there, and certainly no guarantee of easy stardom.

Most of the contestants are forgotten a week after they are booted off the show. The ones who take it further....that's on them to do that, ultimately.

18. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Amen! The assumption is that these folks are only there because of the show and paid no dues beforehand. Why is being discovered at an open tryout for a show and making it through a competition less appropriate than having a talent scout catch them at a bar?

Shatner does a great job of keeping his tongue planted firmly in cheek. I think he gets a kick out of tweaking the critics a bit! Not real sure about Nimoy, he seems to take himself a bit more seriously.

19. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Petty is wrong. I have an album of Gene Gene the Dancing Machine. Great talent. :D

20. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Shatner is in on the joke now. I'm pretty sure he was serious about it when he made those recordings though.

margaritatoldtom and Fullbug like this.
  21. Olompali

Olompali Forum Resident

Sullivan and other variety hours were platforms for signed artists. Idol and the like are sold on the basis of Undiscovered talent. Completely different
    Ted Mack(Arthur Godfrey) or Star Search is the correct correlation.
    Petty was being snarky for the zap effect.
    Underwood will tweet his slam for the win.

Scopitone and videoman like this.
  22. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

Not that it matters to the gist of this discussion, and I don't think it does. But comparing Ted Mack and Arthur Godfrey to American Idol in societal importance and music biz significance seems like a crazy stretch to me.

O Don Piano likes this.
  23. Alcoholic

Alcoholic Forum Resident

Winning a game show didn't hurt Mary Hopkin.

24. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

A band that was created as fodder for a TV show in 1966 is now viewed as "serious artists". How were the Monkees more "real" than singers who win "AI" or the like?

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

:righton:

"The model Twiggy saw her winning the British ITV television talent show, Opportunity Knocks and recommended her to Paul McCartney."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.