SOMEONE has to know.. how to get Easy CD Creator working on Win XP?!?!

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Damián, Feb 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Damián

Damián Forum Hall Of Fame Thread Starter

Howdy guys..

I've been fighting a newly-installed WinXP Pro box at work in my spare time (from more important things, that is).

I can't get the thing to work with Easy CD Creator, which is what was used before on that machine (it had Win2k Pro). I've already disabled XP's CD Burning on the drive and today read up a bit on Google and tried setting the IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service to Disabled, with no luck.

What happens is that when I try to burn an image to CD (an audio disc, in particular), the test pass goes to about 1/4th and then hangs, .. from there it's killing all processes if I mean to regain control of the machine.

I'd appreciate any and all advice, since it's the only box with a burner at the moment and it's a bit of a pressing need in an office.

tia,

Damián

2. romanotrax

romanotrax Forum Resident

I have XP Pro and have no problem with Easy CD Creator. Did you get the latest update which is 6.2.0.111? I have to say I have never had any problems with ECC.

3. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

Damián,
    Try re-installing EZCD Creator, that probably would work. If it doesn't work, you may have to go to their website and download updated drivers.
    Hope this helps.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

What version of EZ CD? What burner? Are all software updates installed? Anything running in the background that could be interfering?

5. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

I think the old version doesn't work on XP, version 5--is that what you have?

6. Damián

Oops. Yes, that's the one we have.

I forgot to mention I've already downloaded all the patches on Roxio's site.
    Burner is an older HP, 8100 or 8200 I believe. No processed running in the background othen than Windows' that I'm aware.

I might try and reinstall ECDC if nothing else works. I'll also check if Windows has the latest service pack applied.

Thanks guys. :)

7. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

EZCD 5 will work with XP just fine, 4 will not (at least not without a bunch of work). That burner is an old 8X pre burn proof drive IIRC. For reliabilities sake you might want to pick up a cheap Lite-On burner, not that that will for sure solve your problems. The Lite-On's are generally bundled with Nero.

As for getting what you have now working a reinstall would be my first step. When you say the machine had 2K on it was XP installed clean or as an upgrade? Upgrade installs can make strange things happen sometimes.

8. daveman

daveman Forum All Star

Ok thanks scarecrow, I got the versions mixed up.

9. Damián

It's a clean reinstall. I personally wiped the entire drive (which had like a zillion partitions), created one big NTFS partition and installed XP from scratch in there.

I'm not sure getting a new burner 'd be a way out, since it's not really up to me. I think it's a 4X drive, btw.

Thanks

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

If it's a clean install then I doubt XP's the problem. I guess a reinstall with the latest version update might be the way to go. I only mentioned a new burner since the Lite_on ones can be had for around $40 and burn proof can be really nice to have & solves a lot of problems older drives had. Is there a firmware update for the drive to handle any problems with XP? Is the EZCD 5 a bundled version or the full Platinum version? Have you tried any other burning software to see it it's the burner? Nero & others have free demo versions.

11. Damián

I'll dig around on HP's site. I hadn't thought of that. Thanks a lot.

ECDC is NOT the Platinum version, that's all I know.

I haven't installed any other software 'cause I wanted to keep the installation as clean as possible, but I could try Nero. We have a demo version on a disc somewhere.

The trouble with Nero is that most people there get confused by it ( :confused: ), but if it works and ECDC doesn't, then f*** them, Nero it is.

Thanks!

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

No version of CD Creator below version 5 will work in XP. Period. You must get 5 or 6. End of story.

13. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

Officially yes, but there is/was a version of 4 floating around from the early days of XP that was "tweaked" to work.

14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Why deal with the hassle? Besides, 5 & 6 have improved features and functionality.

15. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Forum Resident

Never said he should. However if he had 4 and money was an issue, which it sounds like it is, I thought I'd mention it.

Personally I prefer Nero 6. Haven't tried EZCD 6 though.

16. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

Thanks Grant! Why deal with the hassle is right? Trying to get EZ4 to work on XP is like buying a $100K Ferrari with $30 Uniroyals...not really a good idea, although I'm sure the car would drive...

I digress...Make sure you have EZ5 or EZ6. Do not waste your time trying to locate an "XP tweaked" of EZ4. Pay the piper! Get what works.

This post is not meant to offend any of the other posters here. Capiche? ;)

17. grx8

grx8 Senior Member

I know that this is not what you ask for, but...why not Nero?

18. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

The REASON EZ5 will not work on XP is because Microsoft thought their integrated Roxio software in both Explorer and Windows Media Player was going to be IT. So they locked out and removed any SCSI drivers that would work with Roxio 5 and Nero 5, CDRWin and even EAC. Heck, Explorer and WMA is enough, right?

Boy, were they WRONG.

Inicidentally, in order for OEM or retail CD Burning software to work on XP, in versions made before XP awareness, you need to use the FORCE ASPI 1.7 hack for Windows XP.

Then and ONLY then will XP work with other CD burning applications made before XP awareness.

The Force ASPI hack will put in and register drivers so external CD recording software will respond to most any drive you must use.

The Force ASPI hack is safe and will not remove or harsh on the integrated CD burning that XP has inherently.

We covered this before, guys! :) Sheeesh!

19. Damián

I'd be just fine with Nero, but most other folks in the office don't like it, I guess all those options on the dialog boxes scare them off or something.

I used that on my home PC some time ago to get things working, but I try to stay away from those 'hacks' on office PCs.

I've taken the third way out here and installed something called RecordNow which I downloaded from HP's site after some searching for 8200 +windows +xp on their knowledge base.

It's a bit too wizard-ish, but it works. It's not like I'll be doing needle drops in the office or anything.
    Oops.. :angel: my bad, I guess the search engine wasn't up yet.

Thanks a lot for all the advice, guys! :righton:

20. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

You can also try the Adaptec site for new ASPI drivers online for Windows XP. I believe those will work for the same reason, but I haven't tried it.

The ASPI hack is nothing but older MS files and a script to replace them in XP under DOS. It works just as well.

Good luck!

21. Jack Keck

Jack Keck Forum Resident

I couldn't get ECDC Platinum 5 to work on the new XP computer I bought a little over 2 years ago. I herad about Nero on several forums. I found Nero 5.5 for $40.00 with a $20.00 rebate. I'm happy. End of story.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.