Something New from Led Zeppelin Being Mastered Now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tmtomh, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Small Fish

Small Fish Forum Resident

My parents were in the audience too :whistle:

Sean, snkcube, eddiel and 2 others like this.
  2. SickAgain

SickAgain Active Member

All of Knebworth is not available. For example Ten Years Gone has Pages guitar track missing. He wanted to use that on the DVD but upon playback discovered the guitar track missing.

tmtomh and TonyCzar like this.
  3. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

Jeff Beck introduced the band onstage. I have heard Lennon was there as well, but not 100% on that. Don't think McCartney was there.

tmtomh and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  4. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

That is correct. But, what didn't work in 2003 might work with today's technology. It's a long shot. At the minimum they could always include the board tape audio as a bonus track.

5. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

I agree, but remember that it was basically a one month leg (Oct-Nov) and then whatever it was to be in early 1981. Giving them months to rest between legs would have been smart. But if the excess of the 70's continued with Zeppelin (Grant, Page, Bonham, Cole were all addicts to something), it would have ended the same way - with someone dying.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Strange that he didn´t want to overdub his guitar parts on top and include it anyway. Maybe he rightly thought fans would feel it was sacrilege..:oops::rant::realmad:

7. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

WHAT?? Jimmy fix something after the fact??! Hush your mouth!:ignore:

8. At RAH '70? Why wasn't that included on the DVD?

9. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

This will probably just end up being something Sgt Pepper related. :p

Surferghost, Ram4 and steveharris like this.
  10. Zep Fan

Zep Fan Sounds Better with Headphones on

I think it could work if the edit was right before the Jimmy big guitar jam...

That would work for me... to be able to get all of the song in without deletions... :cool:

11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I remember they used to show Ten Years Gone on TV (VH1 Classics). Was the guitar missing there? I can't say I ever really paid close attention...

12. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Soundboard audio

13. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Gotcha.

Could have stuck it on the DVD as a bonus cut, then.

14. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Nice interview with Plant in The Guardian, going through some songs from his career. Again, he is quite forthcoming about when it comes to Zep, just like in the uproxx-interview, not that he mentions anything about next years anniversary. This is what he says about Achilles Last Stand

This was the first track he recorded, on crutches, back at the microphone. “The whole of that album, Presence, is absolutely wracked with pain. Plus, the fraternity of the band at the time was stretched to breaking point.” Years later, he played a new girlfriend this song. “The two of us sitting in a little room on the Welsh borders, and me telling her: ‘If you want to know what I was like at the end of Zeppelin, really, this was it.’ After it, she said: ‘I don’t want to be left alone in a room with that. It’s too much.’ That’s what it was in the end: too much.”

And commenting on Friends:

“I realised that tough, manly approach to singing I’d begun on You Better Run wasn’t really what it was all about at all. Songs like [Led Zeppelin I’s] Babe I’m Going To Leave You …” He flinches. “I find my vocals on there horrific now. I really should have shut the **** up!”

Trneva and tmtomh like this.
  15. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Love ya Robert, but I agree 100%...i haven't been able to handle Plant's caterwauling on the first two Zeppelin albums for many years. An ex of mine called him "The male Janis Joplin"...I wasn't a big fan of Janis, either!

I will say, though, that when he started using that Eventide harmonizer/slapback echo effect on his voice that became his trademark for the latter Zeppelin years and his early solo career, that is one of the coolest vocal sounds I've ever heard. Helped that his voice finally changed as well, mind ya:laugh:

Trneva, tmtomh and vitorbastos123 like this.
  16. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

It was the wild West! The crowd threw a police motorcycle off the parking deck of Riverfront Coliseum in '76.

asdf35 likes this.
  17. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

IIRC they don't have the audio for it other than what you can find on bootlegs.

They also messed up Heartbreaker, hence that wasn't included either. We have the multitrack audio as that leaked. They run out of tape during the solo.

violetvinyl and tmtomh like this.
  18. Ram4

Ram4 Lookin' good

It's possible that they were able to get a new reel going for the end of Heartbreaker where a salvageable edit could be made on the audio. But the footage is also incomplete. What I really would like to have come out is Since I've Been Loving You and Thank You (with organ intro optional). That would have been the third ever performance of the unknown at the time SIBLY (as well as the third ever Thank You since Zeppelin didn't tour with an organ in 1969). I would think this version of SIBLY would be very similar to the studio version. So for an Albert Hall audio CD set, we could hope for an edited Heartbreaker, Since I've Been Loving You, Thank You, and Long Tall Sally medley added to what we have on the DVD.

Sean, tmtomh, eddiel and 2 others like this.
  19. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

It would be nice but I think Heartbreaker is dead and not salvageable. Not sure about the other songs though. Perhaps they exist audio wise but they didn't have footage? Another screw up! :)

This is why I think RAH could still be a valid audio only release. If the other songs exist as multi-tracks I think they would make a good release. Ok it's not Japan 71 but still. It's a great gig and having the extra songs in that sound quality would be great.

Sean, jay.dee, tmtomh and 1 other person like this.
  20. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I was under the impression the complete 1970 Albert Hall set exists on multitrack tape, but not on film.

21. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

Yes, please! I've hoping for a vinyl release (and remaster) of that album for some time.

22. SickAgain

SickAgain Active Member

Ok so I finally found the quote from Kevin Shirley

Kevin Shirley: There was an awesome performance of "Ten Years Gone" at Knebworth, except that the guitar wasn't recorded. That's the truth: there's no guitar on tape. He must have used a different amp for that song, and there wasn't a microphone on it.

I tried all sorts of things to salvage it: I tried to pick it up from the vocal mike, and from the other amplifier mike; I even thought I could get enough of it and then run it through Amp Farm, or some kind of amp modeling software, but that was just alchemy at that point.

23. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Do you mean the show that's on the DVD?
    There is this that was cut from the official release which clearly was recorded on the multi's, not sure about the other missing tracks though...

24. pool_of_tears

If Jimmy had re-recorded his guitar part, using the same guitar and vintage amp, it wouldn’t have bothered me

25. pool_of_tears

Yes sir, that’s the show I’m referring to :)

vudicus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.