Something New from Led Zeppelin Being Mastered Now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tmtomh, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

The Fillmore West 1-11-69 is very good quality. Anything from Germany in 1973 is Zeppelin at their peak as well as the 7/24/79 Copenhagen show. It looks like Page will be following what Grateful Dead has done with live shows. I look forward to the releases.

This also is probably a nail in the coffin of Jimmy releasing new material or performing live again. He will be "too busy" with these new releases.

2. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

"The next ten years" practically screams a series of releases timed to copyright concerns. Which I'm all for.

3. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

That sounds like something from the later period to me. I'm still holding out for Knebworth...pared down arrangements, less self indulgence, more keyboards- "another view" indeed.

hellion and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  4. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

So, win-win??

5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

:laugh:

6. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting show to mention - you have a good point there: That one, and the 3-16 Denmark source, are potentially good enough in sound quality to be released in some form, even though they are soundboards/FM mixes rather than proper multitrack mixdowns - especially if Page has access to a better/lower-generation source for 1-11 (because the version that currently circulates lacks some of the cleanliness and treble extension of the 3-16 source).

3-16 is way too short and would have to be part of a live compilation release. But at 40 minutes or so, the 1-11 source is the perfect length for a companion disc to a Zep I studio outtakes release (Page has hinted that they might have held back some '68 studio work for Zep I in the 2014/15 reissue campaign, precisely for this upcoming 50th anniversary).

Right now it's all very unclear because there are multiple signs pointing in multiple directions, none of them definitive:
    • Page mentioned listening to a '73 version of Dazed and said he was struck by how much the live performance of that track developed over time. More recently he's said they've got a recording that has a whole different feel than HTWWW and TSRTS. That all points to Southampton '73.
    • The impending bootleg release of a proper soundboard (or possibly rough working mixdown from multitrack?) source for Immigrant Song from the legendary 9-29-71 Osaka show has got many folks thinking that Japan '71 might be in the offing for official release in some form.
    • Page himself has mentioned Zep I era stuff, and an apparently reliable semi-insider has said that a live '68 release of some kind is being prepped.
    • The above source also has said that a live compilation (live tracks from multiple shows/eras combined into one release I believe) is coming.
    So definitely something is coming, but it's really hard to know what, how many, and along what timeline. There are scenarios where we could be disappointed (for example Southampton '73 and only Southampton '73 gets released this year to kick off the 50th anniversary period), but so far it seems the scenarios that would be interesting (if perhaps not mind-blowing) outnumber the scenarios that would be blah.

If past patterns hold, then I would say it is relatively unlikely that we'd get more than one - maximum two - different release dates once the 50th anniversary starts. In other words, assuming they announce the first 50th anniversary release in May or June, for a September release date, I would be very surprised if they then released something else for the 50th before the end of 2018. So far the minimum gap between release cycles has been about 4 months (for the different batches of the 2014/15 reissues).

If that pattern holds true - and of course it might not - then September (or whenever) could see the release of a batch of 2 or 3 releases all at once to commemorate the 50th Anniversary. If so, that might account for the multiple different hints and rumors we've been hearing about recently. And it would allow them to put out multiple things to do the anniversary justice, while still waiting until 2019 and beyond for future release cycles.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  7. Jimmy Cooper

Jimmy Cooper Forum Resident

That would be really really cool. Doesn't matter which concerts or recordings they will be releasing: I'm in!

Rockinrob, WarEagleRK and tmtomh like this.
  8. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Same here! I want to make Jimmy Page richer every 4-6 months with new archive releases.

9. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

I believe he will release the Osaka 71 show and probably call it How The East was Won.
    Anything relating to 1968 would interest me the most.

10. RockRoom

RockRoom I Love My Dog

I am with you. Anything from March 1973 would be welcome. I believe the Germany boards that circulate may have been right from Page's stash? I cannot confirm. The band was on fire and the big extended songs, 'Whole Lotta Love' and 'Dazed' were peaking. The thought of the Germany shows being mined makes me giddy.

tmtomh and DrBeatle like this.
  11. Mook

Mook Forum Resident

Me too, it certainly sounds a lot more enjoyable than logging in to internet forums to whinge about him.

12. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

I posted a similar version in the other thread. This is my remastered take. :)

Led Zepplin, like most other major classic rock acts, have probably done a thorough copyright extension assessment to see what needs to be protected and released during the coming years (up until 2030). I would guess that Zep's list includes all material that must be subject to copyright extension during the next ten-twelve years if the Zep-camp wants to keep copyright control.

Once you've got that list, then all parties involved must agree on what to release and how. Now, that subject (beyond this year's 50th anniversary releases) may still be subject to discussions internally. e.g everybody involved knows that, for example, the Montreux concerts may be eligible for release by some other than Led Zeppelin in 2020/21 if Zep decides on not to use them. Zeppelin therefore needs to release them or see them being released by others. What to do? They might still be undecided on formats, presentation etc beyond this years releases. Stand alone? Package? Subscription? What kind of market is there? How does Dylan, Springsteen, Neil Young, Grateful Dead et others do it? Does it create any revenue or is it just for protection or just for the fans? How shall Zep provide an unique view/different take compared to the others? If we release soundboards to get copyright protection, what shows shall we pick? Just all multitracks? Or shall we just let it be? Difficult questions.

I do think that all parties involved (including Plant and Jones and the Bonham estate) are quite involved and concerned even if Jimmy Page is the keeper of the archives so to speak. In addition, the Zep camp don't know if they will be around in ten years time so its better to settle everything/agree on an approximate plan now (which may subject to change of course) before old age and death really sets in and makes everything more complicated (lot of stakeholders in future estates).

This year is obviously set (50th anniversary release(s)), but what Jimmy Page is implies with "more stuff coming etc" is probably the ongoing internal discussions on future copyright extension releases. I do believe (and hope) that we will see a new approach to what kind of material that is released beyond 2018, just because of the copyright issues. With that in mind, I do think that 2019 actually is the year for which we sit and wait when all will be revealed. I think the forthcoming release of The Who at Fillmore 1968 shows, just like Yardbirds 1968, that the copyright issue is very much alive.

The coming years will be really interesting; CSNY at Fillmore East 1970? The Who Tanglewood 1970 or San Francisco 1971? Stones in Oakland 1969? The list goes on.

13. luckyno13

luckyno13 Forum Resident

Great post and very likely considering the timely Yardbirds release.
    The one thing in all this we do know is that JP et al like to maintain control, and why not?

14. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Could be marketed as a multi volume boxset and then broken down into individual reissues like Pink Floyd and others did(hopefully sooner than ten years).Maybe just split in half like an early days and later days live album.
    I remember reading way back about Page`s lawyer getting ownership to a concert from Wolfgang`s vault.Page said Bill(Grahm) recorded a concert that was momentous.
    But yes,could be very likey some earlier 68 live stuff/rehersals.probably nothing enormous.
    That book is starting to interest me too.

tmtomh likes this.
  15. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Has anyone done a mash-up of Led Zeppelin and the Beatles' "Something New!" album cover yet?

Because that's what I think of whenever I see this thread title.

C'MON! It'd be funny!

:hide:

16. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

It's the Live Aid gig with Jason overdubbing Collins drumming

17. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Wished he would do the Ft. Worth Tarrant County Convention 1977 show, this was during Physical Graffitti release.
    I was there, great show too!

18. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

Wait... Something New was from The Beatles...

19. tmtomh

That is probably the best sounding soundboard (or any bootleg source, really) of the entire '77 tour.

20. PageLesPaul

PageLesPaul To be a rock and not to roll...

Physical Graffiti was released in 1975. Presence was the current album for the 1977 tour.

tinnox, DrBeatle, marcb and 1 other person like this.
  21. ohnothimagen

Not only best sounding '77 soundboard we have so far but IMO the best '77 performance we have in soundboard quality. Give me the "tight but loose" Fort Worth '77 show over any of the Landover dates which followed it, that's for damn sure!

David P. Hill, DrBeatle and tmtomh like this.
  22. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

Landover is a strange run as it goes from awful to excellent with not much in between. I have a soft spot for the 30th May show as it's the day I was born :)

DrBeatle, ohnothimagen and tmtomh like this.
  23. tmtomh

I too have a soft spot for the May 30 '77 Cap Centre performance - just something about it I really like, and personally it's my favorite '77 soundboard performance.

But that said, I can't really disagree agree with @ohnothimagen - there's a very good argument to be made that May 22 Fort Worth is indeed the best '77 performance on soundboard, and if I were recommending a '77 board for a new Zep bootleg listener to start with, it would be Fort Worth.

24. ohnothimagen

One of my security guards at work was born on May 28 '77. Last year for his birthday, partly as a joke, but also knowing he's a Zeppelin fan I burned him a copy of the May 28 '77 Landover soundboard. Once he finally got round to listening to it he said, "Why did they have to play a sh-tty show on my birthday?":laugh:
    Damn right!:cheers: I tend to prefer audience recordings but the Fort Worth '77 soundboard is the only '77 soundboard I play on even a semi-regular basis.

25. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

How could we as forum members get a important message to Jimmy Page to consider this release, the Ft.Worth, May 1977 show?
    Anyone know his personal contacts to reach him?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.