Something New from Led Zeppelin Being Mastered Now

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tmtomh, Oct 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, tasting balls doesn't sound very good...

vudicus likes this.
  2. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

I would imagine whatever Davis is mastering has already been mixed by Page, so I don’t think that rules out any Earl’s Court release. However, I agree that a remastered How the West Was Won definitely seems a likely candidate, though I imagine they’d have to add a “companion disc” to that to entice people to buy it again. It could include “Tangerine,” “Communication Breakdown,” “Thank You,” possibly some of the covers they did at the LA show, and/or alternate nights for some of the songs. Heck, they could even put on “Stairway to Heaven” with the organ intact!

Sean, coffeetime, eddiel and 2 others like this.
  3. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Japan 1971

Sean, shepherdfan, keef285 and 3 others like this.
  4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Ya, How The East Was Won. :agree::righton:

Sean, JoeF., shepherdfan and 5 others like this.
  5. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

It would have to be 4 Lp's with some short sides - perhaps they could reintroduce some of the chatter. The sound of the CD isn't the only complaint some of us have - the way its sequenced and edited it doesn't feel like a live album, with song after song appearing quickly on the heels of the previous one with no time to breathe.

deanrelax likes this.
  6. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

I don´t care for a vinyl HTWWW, only an expanded set with at least one full concert (if not both). I would appreciate Earls Court, full RAH or Japan 71.

jay.dee, mpayan, rockclassics and 3 others like this.
  7. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

Didn't Jimmy Page say something about there being nothing else coming from the vault in a recent interview? I could have sworn I read that here. I'd honestly be shocked if they put another live project out though I'd obviously love to see one.

8. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

rock stars are capable of amazing things when their pocket books are squeezed tightly enough.

Sean, sekaer and The Beave like this.
  9. RockDude4492

I was under the impression he was just referring to studio stuff. Many fans are aware that there’s a plethora of live material that has yet to see the light of day, Japan ‘71 being the most significant since we haven’t gotten anything from those shows (Earl’s Court at least showed up on the DVD, though the complete show would still be very welcome)

tmtomh likes this.
  10. deanrelax

deanrelax Forum Resident

Yes, as far as studio material is concerned, Jimmy Page in 2014/15 highlighted that no more were forthcoming apart from maybe a RSD-type of release, which oviously could have been something he said in the spur of the moment. But there is plenty of live material. The easiest one would obviously be to release HTWWW in a deluxe version, although I would hate having to piece together a complete performance from the original version and a new companion disc. It would be much better if they could just redo it as it really was a missed opportunity, being eclipsed by the DVD and also having "sound, sequencing and packaging problems". Of course, it should be released on vinyl.

Tim Fraser-Harding, President of Recorded Music at Warner Music Group, wrote that in addition to a proposal for a John Bonham statue in the legendary drummer’s hometown of Redditch, they were working on “a series of high-profile events” to honor the band in 2018.

We'll see what happens.

11. Frawls

Frawls Forum Resident

I would love to see something from the Japan shows released. The 9/29 Osaka show really captures them at their peak. Which Early Court show did they use for the DVD?

tmtomh and RockDude4492 like this.
  12. RK2249

RK2249 Forum Resident

Agreed...I was just hoping it was some long-lost, unique live set we didn't know was recorded (properly)

Many don't like the sterile sound of soundboards but my old Yamaha receiver (which I keep hooked up to my current Marantz receiver for this sole reason) has decent "Live" DSP options so soundboards (recorded well) actually sound pretty damn good. Still, nothing beats a true multi-track recording.

It'll be interesting to see whose speculation here is correct about what's forthcoming. Will be pretty funny if we're all wrong.

13. RockDude4492

Wholeheartedly agreed there. Both Osaka shows were recorded and supposedly the Tokyo ones as well, but I’d be happy to get anything from that.

It’s a mix of at least 5/24 and 5/25, maybe some 5/23 patches. There’s a section about it on the Garden Tapes site, it’ll tell you exactly which performance is which: www.thegardentapes.co.uk

tmtomh, keef285 and Terry like this.
  14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’d buy it!

Sean, tmtomh, rabarbar and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bubba Zanetti

Bubba Zanetti Forum Resident

Oh very good :)

Also featuring:

The Cranberry Song
    Four Drumsticks
    When The Cracker Breaks
    Eggnog For One
    Custard Pie (!)
    Sick Again... :D

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

While it may be unlikely, there is still the possibility that there will be a show or series of shows released that fans did not know were multitracked. IIRC, no one really knew that LA and Long Beach '72 were multitracked until it was announced that they were being prepared and mixed for HTWWW. There were rumors years ago that JP professionally recorded a number of UK shows in 1971, perhaps based on an interview from the early 1970's. So, who knows, maybe there will be some cool show no one knew about.

Still, it seems like a HTWWW vinyl reissue or an Earls Court set (particularly because of the 1975 photo in Davis' twitter post) are the obvious contenders.

Sean, tmtomh, keef285 and 3 others like this.
  17. Jack Furth

Jack Furth Forum Resident

I would buy an Earls Court live release in an instant.

Sean, tmtomh, ohnothimagen and 3 others like this.
  18. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

If it is Earl's Court, I really hope we get a full DVD release too.

Sean, ohnothimagen and dlokazip like this.
  19. jdlaw

jdlaw Forum Resident

Of all the potential releases that have been mentioned, I hope it is NOT Earl's Court! :thumbsdow

Sorry, but don't dig the 1975 tour....at all. Plant's voice in particular is various degrees of terrible. Worst tour of his career.

20. Jack Furth

Jack Furth Forum Resident

Agreed. I don't want to let my fantasies run wild, but it would make sense to put together a deluxe DVD/CD set.

RK2249 and vudicus like this.
  21. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I've never been able to listen to HTWWW because the mastering / mixing is awful.

I'll take a new remaster on cd-

Sean, Vinyl_Blues, tmtomh and 2 others like this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

On the soundboards, yes, Plant is rough in spots. However, I thought the selection of tracks prepared for the "DVD" were outstanding. Two-three CDs of Earls Court material prepared in that same way, in that same kind of sound quality, would be a welcomed addition to the catalogue.

23. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Have you tried the DVD-A version?
    It's not ideal, but it's much better than the CD.

tmtomh likes this.
  24. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

No I haven't- thanks for the reply. I'll take you're word that it sounds better in hi-rez pcm.

Still the same edited / multi show stereo mix though..:sigh:

vudicus likes this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Something New by Led Zeppelin!?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.