Sometimes you wanna go where everybody knows your name (the DVD store)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, May 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Just a reminder to each and every forum member to have their $40 ready next Tuesday, May 20, as "Cheers: The Complete First Season" will be released that date.

Discuss the greatness that is "Cheers" and the nerdiness that is Brad.

Attached Files:

2. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

That's a rough DVD day for me, as it also marks the release of:

Miller's Crossing
    Barton Fink
    Adaptation
    Zulu
    20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
    The Love Bug
    The Rescuers

:eek:

Regards,

3. nashreed

nashreed New Member

Uh oh.... I saw that at my work today- we have it out on the sales floor already. Somebody's gonna hear about this! :eek:

James

4. AKA

Got it. I've only watched the pilot thus far, but I wasn't disappointed. The soundtrack seems to have been remixed into 2.0 stereo, but not annoyingly so. Everything seems to be as is from 1982 - they still use the original theme music from the first season, without the double-tracked vocals, as well as the original text font (both the theme and the font were spruced up during later seasons). So far, the episodes seem to be uncut; about 25 minutes each. The video is about as good as it gets for TV filmed in 1982.

It's great to finally see these episodes as they were broadcast 21 years ago, without any editing, and little modern-day tinkering.

I'll let you know if further viewing makes me change my mind.

5. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

Did anyone actually find Disney's The Rescuers today? I've looked all over with no luck.

Jay

6. RDK

RDK Active Member

No, but my wife picked up "20,000 Leagues" for me over at Costco! :goodie:

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Ken, Barton Fink is a movie that I disliked in the theatre. Will I like it better if I see it again?

8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

I picked up a promo of the CHEERS DVD set last week and I'm halfway through. Brilliant, brilliant stuff. Unedited, finally. Picture quality (full-frame, natch) is stunning. Certainly miles from the reception I got over rabbit ears in 82-83!

Now if they'd just issue another year's eps every month.......I'll be retirement age by the time they release complete sets of CHEERS, MASH and SIMPSONS!!!!

9. AKA

Hopefully, Paramount will soon issue "Cheers" season sets with as much regularity as their "Star Trek: The Next Generation" sets. I think the only reason Season Two (and beyond) hasn't been announced yet is because they're waiting to see how well Season One does.

Coincidentally, ten years ago today the "Cheers" series finale aired. Time flies.

10. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

The Disney Store's website is showing the Rescuers DVD as no longer available. Very odd.

11. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

I'm not making any guarantees. :) I don't like it nearly as much as I like Miller's Crossing, but if you are in the mood, it is an interesting hybrid of "artsy fartsy" pretension and comedy. The Big Lebowski was a similar mix, but the needle was tilted much farther in the comedy direction for that one. If nothing else, Barton Fink has several very good and very amusing supporting performances. To "get" the film, you have to grasp the irony of a pretentious film about a writer being punished for his pretensions. As such, it will be a bit arch for some tastes. If you find yourself liking the main character too much, it can be a real turn-off, too, because things do not go well for him.

Regards,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.