"Songs of Kristofferson" CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

A CD from 1988 that is definitely dynamic and came right from the LP master is the Monument CD of Kris Kristofferson's best of compilation from 1977 entitled "Songs of Kristofferson" (AK 44350) which does have only 12 songs, but most of what you'd want to start with in your collection is included.

1. The Silver Tongued Devil and I
    2. Loving Her Was Easier
    3. Me & Bobby McGee
    4. Help Me Make It Through The Night
    5. For The Good Times
    6. Sunday Morning Coming Down
    7. You Show Me Yours (And I'll Show You Mine)
    8. The Pilgrim: Chapter 33
    9. Stranger
    10. I Got a Life of My Own
    11. Why Me
    12. Who's To Bless and Who's To Blame

There are very few key tracks for casual fans missing including, most notably Josie, Casey's Last Ride, Come Sundown and a few others. The best way to experience the tremendous output of music he has issued over the years is to buy the albums. In fact, I have several of them on LP in my collection.

2. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢ In Memoriam

Bradley,

Have you heard the new Kris Kristofferson? I'm not a big fan of re-recording, but this disc is a keeper. I believe the title is "Austin Sessions". Is the disc you mention still in print? I'm going to have to check it out. Why haven't his individual lp's been done on CD?

Joe

3. BradOlson

Actually his individual albums have been issued on CD at some point. The Songs of... comp is still in print:

The debut album is on CD on Legacy/American Milestones series entitled "Kristofferson" (the 1980s Sony Music Special Products CD, still available as a French import at Amazon UK, and common LP pressings of this album are called "Me & Bobby McGee." First pressings use the title used on the American Milestones CD of the album.)
    Silver Tongued Devil and I, Jesus Was a Capricorn, Breakaway (with Rita Coolidge), Live At The Philharmonic-Sony Music Special Products
    Border Lord, Spooky Lady's Sideshow, Who's To Bless and Who's To Blame, Surreal Thing, Easter Island, Shake Hands With The Devil, To The Bone-One Way issued these on CD but they are now OOP (apparently Amazon UK does have the Who's To Bless... CD available on Special Order)
    Star Is Born soundtrack (with Barbra Streisand)-Columbia
    Full Moon (with Rita Coolidge) not on CD but LP was issued by A&M
    Natural Act (with Rita Coolidge)-Karussel
    Repossessed, Third World Warrior-Mercury (OOP in the US), reissued on Spectrum as a twofer called "The Country Collection" available at Amazon UK
    A Moment of Forever-Justice (OOP), reissued by Buddha (OOP)
    Austin Sessions-Atlantic
    The Highwaymen albums are still in print (the first 2 on Columbia and The Road Goes On Forever on Liberty. There are comps of songs from the first 2 but the albums themselves are the better value)
    Comps: Songs of..., The Best Of..., Singer/Songwriter (the 2 CD set I discussed), Singer/Songwriter (the 3 CD GSC set available at timelessmusic.com and other mail order sources)-Sony Music Special Products
    Super Hits-Monument
    All-Time Greatest Hits (Varese)
    My Songs-Pair (OOP)
    Winning Hand-Delta Music (with tracks by Kris, Dolly Parton, Brenda Lee and Dolly Parton)
    Legendary Years-Connoisseur Collection (available at Amazon UK)
    Very Best Of...-Columbia UK (available at Amazon UK)

4. BradOlson

I have heard the Austin Sessions on the radio and it is a great album.

5. BradOlson

Steve, Kris Kristofferson would be great for you to license as you can see, much of his catalog is OOP and he is definitely one of country's, and all of popular music's great singer/songwriters. It would sell very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.