Songs on Sgt Pepper Most Improved By 2017 Remix?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Diamond Star Halo, Jun 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wuther

Wuther Prog Rock Explorer

Even if I were born like 20 years ago and had listened to this remix for the first time in my life I would still have believed the originals mono and stereo are the best. Just spin them and you can' t have a doubt about it.

acetboy likes this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I'm surprised no one's alluded to the L O V E remix of ADITL; I prefer it to the 2017. I think the overall sound is more well rounded and thee's far more definition on the orchestral buildup.

Dan The Man1 and Lewisboogie like this.
  3. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Yeah, Good Morning is loud out of the gate but that's it. I consider the opening track and it's reprise ”loud” as they have the heavy guitar throughout and don't let up as much as so many of the other cuts.

4. MoonPool

MoonPool Senior Member

I hadn't thought about the Love remixes as I forget that they're not all mashups. Time to add that to the lustening session!

5. YpsiGypsy

YpsiGypsy Forum Resident

Ringo comes storming in on Sgt Pepper Reprise, that base drum goes to your stomach,...in a good way

telepicker97, dee and FJFP like this.
  6. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

I chose With A Little Help From My Friends, Fixing A Hole, and Good Morning Good Morning.

Overall I think Fixing The Hole is the best. I think the whole album was improved from the remix except for the title track which sounds muddy to me.

7. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

Still stand by "She's Leaving Home" followed by "Good Morning."

"She's Leaving" has been transformed for me into something immediate and touching.

8. Grunge Master

Grunge Master 8 Bit Enthusiast

The run-out groove :)

acetboy and Dan The Man1 like this.
  9. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

I'm hearing something very different. My only complaint is the drums thunder too much in the intro and have some harmonics I don't like.

10. Lemon Curry

No. A digital process was used to pull the premixes together, and some demixing was done also. AAA was not possible. From reading many posts on the subject, I'm surmising that the lowest sample rate and bit depth in their process was 48/24.

The vinyl did take a different mastering path that gives it a slightly higher DR rating compared to the digital.

11. Lemon Curry

More dynamic range on the vinyl.

12. Lemon Curry

Mr. Kite is, to me, the loudest. It's shocking how much volume it has in the intro. And it has the lowest DR on the LP, DR6.
    This one was a huge miss for me.

13. MartinGr

MartinGr Senior Member

I voted for SLH, because the speed (and key!) issue is so important for me. I like the flow of the first side much more now.
    Fixing a Hole in F major, She's Leaving Home too - and Mr. Kite starts with a related B flat, and does a proper modulation to d with the intro. I always loved that so much in mono.
    SLH in E sounds so unrelated....

14. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Funny how there is a common understanding that the Vinyl has more dynamic range. My impression from hearing it is the the bass is more prominent but otherwise sounds about the same as the digital versions.

Dan The Man1 likes this.
  15. Lemon Curry

Aside from the ear test, we have the interview with the fellow who did the vinyl mastering who said it was an uncompressed path from Giles' mix as opposed to the digital that was made mastered to be louder.

dee likes this.
  16. john morris

john morris Everybody's Favorite Quadron

Slap on a good pair of headphones and give a closer listen to Good Morning Good Morning. Giles has over used delay/reverb in the song. The reason no one (except me) has noticed it is because of the way he has employed the effect. And yet he has slapped delay on every track on the song.

17. john morris

I agree. Taking the choir and orchestra off the Let It Be album is like taking all the sound effects off of Dark Side Of The Moon.
    I Really love The Beatles but...Their playing on The Long And Winding Road is lackluster and boring. Phil Spector put all the "extra stuff" in to save the Beatles.

Joti Cover and Man at C&A like this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...overstating it a bit, no...?:confused:

john morris and DRM like this.
  19. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Songs on Sgt Pepper Most Improved By 2017 Remix?

I'm confused, Penny Lane & Strawberry Fields Forever aren't on Sgt. pepper :shh:

20. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

This may be a dumb question, but others should be able to hear overused delay/reverb on the song besides you, so unless there is some super secret method that Giles has utilized, please explain "the way he has employed the effect". :D

There are lots of people with great ears here so I can't imagine this has escaped everyone else's notice.

I defer to you and others here though, because I haven't A/B'd anything.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
    Sean Murdock likes this.
  21. dee

dee Senior Member

In general, I enjoyed the centering of the lead vocals and I enjoyed a few of the other mix choices too in a few of the songs (vague I know) compared to a few of the original mixes. The problem I tend to have then is what those individual and collective tracks then 'sound' like, even on the remixes that I enjoy. Halfway through or less, Fixing A Hole with the guitar solo and vocals sounds too thin, trebly, and forward, to my ears, so that impacts what I might have liked about the mix and makes it less likeable to me.

22. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

Daaaang. I'm not a huge Sgt. Pepper fan (more of a Revolver/White Album/Abbey Road guy myself) but this has me intrigued. That's quite the statement!

23. john morris

Not possible with the Sgt. Pepper remix. Even though those 1 inch 4 tracks are in great condition it would be irresponsible to run the tapes over and over and over again to remix. They are 50 years old! If they are in great condition now, they wouldn't be by the end of Giles Martin's remix session. Transferring them to 24/192 PCM and mixing it from there was the only sane way to do it. And don't forget they are quite a few songs on Pepper that were bounced down. Trying to run two 4 tracks together without a sync pulse!? Good Luck. They simply just copied all the tapes to Pro Tools and did the syncing up there. Much easier.

Assuming they could've pulled the "manual-on-the-fly" sync issue off, Giles could've copied both 4 track tapes to a 2 inch, 8 track; mix through a nice analog board (TG12345 Mark 4) to a 1 inch two track running at 30 IPS. (No noise reduction needed at this tape width and speed. Signal to noise ratio is way over 90db.)
    Not a bad idea, but very difficult.

I assume this was what you were bothered by. Why couldn't the Pepper remix on vinyl be AAA?...If it was just remixing of 4 track tapes I could see Giles to making an effort at it; but once we get into the sync issues...No way.

I agree sir...It would have been glorious!

24. john morris

Maybe a little overstated...

25. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident Thread Starter

Sounds great to me! I love slapped delay!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.