Songs or albums that annoy you due to poor mixing or mastering.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rad Dudeski, Apr 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rad Dudeski

Rad Dudeski Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a lot of music in my collection. My ears are still well and can usually pick out stuff in music.
    I was listening to Icehouse's Electric Blue from off the US album and was quite annoyed at the fact that the vocals are at least -2dB or so below everything else in the mix! I then went over to the shelf and I got Icehouse - Electric Blue off the shelf and on to my turntable, which has the 7" single version (very similar) mixed by Michael Brauer and the vocals are more evenly panned and equal in the mix.
    I also have a noted few other songs that have other problems such as not enough compression being used or too much leveling.
    Anyone care to share any songs or albums that come to mind?

deredordica likes this.
  2. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Yes’ Tormato immediately comes to mind.

3. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Van Halen: A Different Kind of Truth

The sound never fails to get in the way of my enjoying the otherwise great songs it contains.

Kim Olesen and George P like this.
  4. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

Real Live - Bob Dylan

i like this album a lot, but the tinny, phasey sound really bugs me.

stewedandkeefed likes this.
  5. Almost every song in the Springsteen archival downloads, ones mixed by Jon Altschiller. I can try and handle little bits at a time but fatigue and disgust take over after a while, esp. as how they could sound. The guy is the worst.

6. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I’ve been listening to Oasis recently and, although I’m really enjoying the music, the sound is very frustrating. All the songs just get crushed under the wall of white noise they create with electric guitars. I wish someone would give those albums a proper remix/remaster so I could listen to them without getting ear fatigue almost immediately.

MitchLT, Jarleboy, Mr.La Page and 5 others like this.
  7. impalaboy

impalaboy Forum Resident

This topic never gets old...

EVOLVIST, 911s55 and sekaer like this.
  8. Rad Dudeski

Ha, you are funny guy. :D This is a music forum stuff like this is discussed here all the time.

I'd honestly like to go more indepth on it too... what a newer remix/master has to the originally released mix/master.

Jarleboy and impalaboy like this.
  9. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I can't wait for the day the guys remastering stuff remember that dynamics are important. I can still listen to albums that are crushed, because if i have them i more than likely like them, but all this maximum volume tripe needs to die. If i want it louder, I have a volume control

10. Vinny123

Vinny123 Forum Resident

I agree. I love Yes, but aside from the Steve Wilson remixes, I’ve never been crazy about the sound of their recordings.

11. davidwatts

davidwatts Well-Known Member

MC5 - Back in the USA

12. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Sabbath's Never Say Die and Technical Ecstasy. These two have the worst mix I've ever heard, although the new vinyl is ''acceptable'' due to - believe it or not - a little more compression. So it's the lesser of two evils in this case.

punkmusick likes this.
  13. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I used to have a problem with U2's War when it first came out--I don't know how to express this but the middle range seemed to be too high. The latest CD release of it sounds much better to me now. Oh yeah, and Simple Minds' Sparkle in the Rain always sounded too bright to me. Other than that, commercial releases of pretty much everything sounded fine to me until the '90s. Also, I was never a fan of Steve Albini's aesthetic.

Edit: I am aware that those two albums have Steve Lillywhite in common...

JoeF. likes this.
  14. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

Buzzcocks self titled, could be a great record but the heavily compressed mastering makes it simply impossible to listen to.

15. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

The CD of The Cure's Wish as it's a great album but sounds terrible on CD. After many years bit the bullet and bought an original vinyl copy that is much better.

Dodoz likes this.
  16. Flaming Lips - Soft Bulletin

Fishoutofwater and davidwatts like this.
  17. davidwatts

davidwatts Well-Known Member

Or pretty much every album on this list can qualify: Dave Fridmann

:D

18. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Elvis Costello: "National Ransom". It's a great album, but severely lacking in sonic dynamics. It sounds lifeless.

MPLRecords and Mr.La Page like this.
  19. bvb1123

bvb1123 Rock and Roll Martian

The song "Wreck Of The Hesperus" off Procol Harum's A Salty Dog has always sounded to me like it was recorded under water. Don't know if it's a mix or production problem but it sucks because it's one of my favorite songs on the album and it's almost unlistenable.

20. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

This must be a thread for newer members, because it's been done thousands of times already, and the pursuit of good sound quality is a big reason this forum exists.

That said, I'll go with Oasis' "Morning Glory" disc.
    It made me tired in 1996, but I couldn't figure out why until I joined here in 2007.

Jarleboy likes this.
  21. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

Nearly everything in the Oasis catalog.

Jarleboy, Devin, JoeF. and 3 others like this.
  22. wiseblood

wiseblood Forum Resident

I saw your post after I made mine because as soon as I saw the topic, only one name came into my head and I had to post it stat: OASIS!

This made me laugh.

Jarleboy and O Don Piano like this.
  23. Freek999

Freek999 Forum Resident

Screaming Trees - Uncle Anesthesia
    this could be their best album, but the production sucks.

24. Rad Dudeski

Not just brickwall limiting but like the vocals are lower in the mix or the drums are more compressed or the splice point isn't quite right and makes a skip in the song... the little annoyances that you notice...

25. George P

George P Notable Member

All Oasis
    REM - Accelerate

wayneklein and captainsolo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.