Songs so popular an artist plays them twice at a concert

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Disraeli Gears, Mar 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hey fellas, I was driving around with my daughter in law (who is a real fox) yesterday and she was listening to a local "modern rock" station and that "Hey There Delilah" song from a couple of years ago that was real big came on and I got to wondering about that band ("The Plain White Tees" she told me) and what they do at a concert and what bands like them must do. Clearly much of the audience at a concert is there to hear that one song, right? So what do they do the for other 56 minutes of the show? Do you think they would play it for than once? How else would they keep the audience's attention? Same goes for the good bands we like around these parts, especially now-a-days. Does BTO have to play "Takin Care of Business" more than once when they do the fairground circuit? Journey do "Don't Stop Believin" to open and close shows? I know back in the day some songs were so huge, they "Sunshine of your Love" that radio stations would play them twice in a row, but I'm wondering about concerts here.

Anyone know of any instances of this happening -- either for good bands with huge hits or one-hit wonders?

2. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I have heard that Frank Zappa played "Bobby Brown" seven times in a row once. He had a hit with the song. It was probably meant a little humorous.

dennis1077 and Disraeli Gears like this.
  3. Disraeli Gears

Nice! That is hilarious

4. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

I saw Paul Simon do You Can Call Me Al and , after a great crowd response, said something like " might as well do it again straight away" and he did.

MRamble, Fortuleo and Disraeli Gears like this.
  5. Remurmur

Remurmur Music is THE BEST! -FZ

Johnny Cash- San Quentin (from Live At San Quentin)

Of course , he did it just for this particular audience....and for obvious reasons...:)

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  6. redsmith7887

redsmith7887 Forum Resident

Saw Gang of Four play a tune twice.... To Hell with Poverty I think.

Disraeli Gears likes this.
  7. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Beethoven would frequently reprise the 2d movement of his 7th Symphony.

hellion, zen and Adam9 like this.
  8. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

God I wish I could remember who it was that I heard this from, might've been Dave Grohl (or not). Whoever it was saw Europe back in the day and said they opened and closed the concert with 'The Final Countdown' and right there they knew the band was complete garbage. I got a good laugh out of the story and completely understood where the person was coming from. Been to a million shows and never seen someone do the same song twice.

bunglejerry and Disraeli Gears like this.
  9. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

If so, there isn't a recording of the concert where he did that.

10. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

At Wilco's all-covers show for their 2013 Solid Sound Festival, they were so taken aback by the reception for their performance of "And Your Bird Can Sing" that they immediately followed it up by playing it again.

11. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

I saw EMF...I think it was the Ritz in NYC...and they did Unbelievable twice...once during the set and again as a second encore.

12. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Didn't the Who use to do "See Me, Feel Me" to close out the Tommy portion of the show, and then turn right around and do "See Me, Feel Me" and "Sparks" again, a second time a few minutes later as the encore?

marc with a c likes this.
  13. dennis1077

dennis1077 Forum Resident

Saw The Ramones play "Do You Remember Rock N Roll Radio" twice in the early nineties. I assumed it was a mistake. They have thirty plus songs in the set.

14. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

The Kinks used to reprise You Really Got Me in the early days.

15. Disraeli Gears

I figured that would be a candidate for repeat plays

16. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

At a Temps/4 Tops concert, they did a song that apparently came out within the past 20 years that included a large portion of "My Girl" sung at a slightly slower tempo. They of course sang the full song later on.

17. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

i saw the zombies in Oct 2015 and they did "she's not there" twice--once in the first half with the touring band and as an encore with the original members after they did the complete odyssey and the oracle album

18. dr jazz

dr jazz Forum Resident

forgot to add that both versions were great and somewhat different(second one was a little looser)

905 likes this.
  19. BurgerKing

BurgerKing Forum Resident

Saw Boston back when they were getting hot and the crowd insisted on a second encore. They didn't have anything else prepared, so they did "More Than a Feeling" again. Nobody complained

Sean and Disraeli Gears like this.
  20. alincoln

alincoln Well-Known Member

Grateful Dead would often reprise Playing in the Band

11/17/73: Playin' In The Band-> Uncle John's Band-> Morning Dew-> Uncle John's Band-> Playin' In The Band

Phish reprises tweezer

Willie Nelson plays Whiskey River repeatedly

21. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Dave Davies currently plays "I'm Not Like Everybody Else" early in his sets and again in the encores.

In Ray Davies' last east coast khoral shows, he played "Waterloo Sunset" early in the show acoustic......then again later with full band and the khoir.

22. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

Led Zeppelin played "Dancing Days" twice at a concert in Seattle in 1972, The "Houses Of The Holy" album wasn't out yet, so it wasn't due to popularity but it is confirmed that it was played twice through a bootleg of the show, once in the main set and once more in the encore.

tmtomh and hi_watt like this.
  23. I've seen Joe Jackson and Suzanne Vega opening the show with a solo version and then closing the regular set with a full band version of the same song. Joe Jackson did it with "It Don't Mean A Thing", Suzanne Vega with "Tom's Diner". I've also seen Simone White follow "The Beep Beep Song" with a Dutch translation, which was very well received by the audience.

24. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I saw the O'Jays in 2011 and they did Love Train twice. Not back to back but near the beginning and end of the show.

25. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWV

Judie Tzuke used to perform two versions of For You at concerts, one with a recording of the original backing music, the string quartet, and the second, a different arrangement with live piano accompaniment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.