Songs that are amazing "under the influence".

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BIG-JG, Sep 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BIG-JG

BIG-JG Forum Resident Thread Starter

Based off the success of "songs that mention space/aliens". I thought this would be a really good topic too.

After having a few drinks or mind enhancer of choice what are some songs that just make you go "whoa"? What songs take you to a special place while in a good mental state?

I've had this happen more than once, hanging out with friends and they play something and you are just taken to another level, a lot of times I have forgotten what the song was but sometimes I do remember:

Here are some that come to mind:

My Morning Jacket - Wordless Chorus - Such a great song, that is Trippy Happy.

Pearl Jam - Indifference - This song is so simple but very powerful, It makes you think that you can overcome anything. Pearl Jam- Indifference (with lyrics)

Biffy Clyro - Many of Horror - This song is a nice journey, has a great tempo , cool guitar sound and catchy hook. Biffy Clyro - Many of Horror (When We Collide) (Official Music Video)

Radiohead - Weird Fishes / Arpeggi - This song has a lot of guitar layers, great tempo, it just makes you feel so good. Radiohead - Weird Fishes/Arpeggi - Live From The Basement [HD]

This can be a really fun, very interested to see what you bring to the table, I love beer and I love Music, they go so well together. I want to just be taken on a midnight mind melt musical trip, Happy, Sad, Deep, whatever it is lets take a trip together, under the influence!

Also songs that mention breathing would be cool for this here are a few that I can think of:

Pink Floyd - (Breathe in the Air)
    Radiohead - Exit Music for a Film
    Bush - Machine Head

Erik B. likes this.
  2. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

This.

3. BIG-JG

BIG-JG Forum Resident Thread Starter

I forgot this one, way back in my sophomore year of college i heard this song for the 1st time and it just blew me away, i was definatly in a great state of mind and this was one of those "whoa" songs.

Led Zeppelin - Tangerine

4. onionmaster

onionmaster Tropical new waver from the future

After a few strong cocktails you can't beat this:

5. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Flaming Lips - Yoshimi...

All of it, in 5.1

6. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

In my more addled states, I've declared the Spice Girls' "Wannabe" "the best song of all time" (it isn't) and the backing vocals on Air Supply's "Lost in Love" "like angels singing" (jury's out). No wonder I mostly stick to coffee nowadays.

7. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Vince guaraldi e bola sete- days of wine and roses
    Wes montgomery-canadian sunset
    Beach boys-please let me wonder
    Very romantic songs! Goes well with alcohol

8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Music gives me Eargasms. Add extra ingredients and it gets better...... :nyah:

john lennonist, Erik B. and BIG-JG like this.
  9. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Every record I know can be enhanced that way.

10. caio vaz

caio vaz Senior Member

Four freshmen-it never occured to me

Ignatius likes this.
  11. TS582

TS582 Forum Resident

I agree with the above that every record can be enhanced that way, I go for the ones that are already out there. Jarre’s Zoolook especially Ethnicolor, almost anything by Scott Walker, Oldfield’s Amarok, Eric Dolphy...

12. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

13. Stari Vrag

Stari Vrag Well-Known Member

Enigma / Sadeness Part 1

14. namlook

namlook Forum Resident

15. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

The quad mix of the freehand (gentle giant) album

16. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

I'll never forget hearing this the night after spending the day collecting mushrooms off water buffalo patties on a tropical island off the coast of southern thailand

17. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Returning to San Francisco's Coast Recorders, the band recruited their soundman, Dan Healy, to help produce. In between studio sessions, the band also began recording their live dates. Lesh commented that this was in part because the songs were not "road tested." Healy, Garcia, and Lesh then took these concert tapes (encompassing two Los Angeles shows from November 1967, a tour of the Pacific Northwest in January and early February 1968, and a California tour from mid-February to mid-March 1968) and began interlacing them with existing studio tracks. Garcia called this "mix[ing] it for the hallucinations". Kreutzmann explained, "Phil and Jerry were the ones who figured out that we could exploit studio technology to demonstrate how these songs were mirrors of infinity, even when they adhered to their established arrangements. It's the old paradox of 'improvisational compositions'. Jazz artists knew all about the balance between freedom and structure, but a few rock bands were now catching on. Most rock bands, however, tended to head in an opposite direction, afraid of the uncertainty of improvisation. We decided that Anthem of the Sun was going to be our statement on the matter".

18. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Brian Jonestown Massacre:

19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

Isn't there a rule for no drug discussions? Not that I'm going to dob. I've broken the rule too.

20. Thermionic Dude

Golden Dawn:

breakingglass likes this.
  21. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

22. RZangpo2

RZangpo2 Forum Know-It-All

Just listened to the first set of the new Grateful Dead box set, Pacific Northwest '73-'74. That'll do it.

Erik B. and john lennonist like this.
  23. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

In terms of greenery", I always gravitate towards either music I love the most anyway, or bands like Porcupine Tree, Zeppelin, etc.

Although in terms of drinks, lately I have been into dim lights, pouring myself a peaty scotch, and either downtempo/trip-hop like Lovage and Tricky, or albums like Blue and Lonesome by the Stones.

24. Thermionic Dude

Some of the best psychedelic songwriting of all time; Roky’s only real “competition” was Arthur Lee:

dirtmert, PsychoBabble and notesfrom like this.
  25. PopularChuck

PopularChuck Senior Member

Too Much Sleep by Bongwater. Anything by Ween, but especially God-Ween-Satan The Oneness. Naked City by John Zorn. Just about everything Phish ever recorded. The White Album. And I remember once being utterly transfixed by the repetitive opening riff of "Sweet Child of Mine." It just went on and on and on, cutting through everything else until it was all I heard.

Erik B. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.