Songs that are never played in their entirety on the radio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheik Yerbouti, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sheik Yerbouti

Sheik Yerbouti Senior Member Thread Starter

Sorry if this has been covered before, but the search function just showed me a thread about songs that are always faded out too early on the radio.

What I mean is: Over here in Germany even stations that are exclusively dedicated to rock music NEVER play Marillion's "Kayleigh" with the whole guitar solo. It's always the single version with some bars missing.

Another incomprehensible example is Ram Jam's "Black Betty" without the guitar solo which (in my opinion) is the best part of this tune. No station will ever play the complete version.

I'm sure you know a lot more strange cases like these.

2. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Radio stations normally play "Make Me Smile" and "Colour My World" but not the entire suite.

ElevateMeLater likes this.
  3. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Prince
    When Doves Cry

ElevateMeLater likes this.
  4. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Black Sabbath - Heaven and Hell

5. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

"Heroes"

dbone828 likes this.
  6. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

Genesis - Abacab

2trackmind and LeBon Bush like this.
  7. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Beatles - Hey Jude

8. Saintbert

Saintbert Forum Resident

I'm sure it is sometimes played in its entirety, but still a lot of people miss the best part of "Layla" by Derek and the Dominoes.

Chemguy likes this.
  9. Paul R

Paul R Forum Resident

The single edit of My Sharona by The Knack is always played on the radio, missing the full guitar solo.

Jimmy B. and Fullbug like this.
  10. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

The Temptations - Papa Was A Rollin' Stone

11. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

The classic rock station here is actually really good about playing songs in their entirety, even "Hey Jude" and "Layla."

Jimmy B. and Chris from Chicago like this.
  12. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

Roots Suite - Odyssey

13. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

Rage Against The Machine -- "Killing in the Name Of"

14. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

It depends on the station. Our local "Classic Rock" station usually plays the full versions, but the "Classic Hits" station plays the short versions.

Just to turn the question around, these are songs that I have never heard played in a shortened version on the radio.

-Hotel California
    -American Pie

altaeria and dbone828 like this.
  15. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

If the radio station is actually playing the single in full, as it appears on the single disc, then I don't think that qualifies for this thread. The station is doing its job, in a sense. The issue of WHY a song need be edited at all to generate a single version is a separate question.

16. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

If Wilco's "Less Than You Think" ever gets played on radio I'd bet that the last 12 minutes are cut off (for some odd reason...).

17. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

Likewise "Miss Blue" by Filter. The track is nominally 19 minutes long. The song proper lasts for five and a half minutes, followed by no less than 13 minutes of silence, before a minute or so of incoherent screaming.

18. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

A.M. stations had always played the "single" version not the "LP" versions of:

Edgar Winter Group ~ Frankenstein

Manfred Mann Earth Band ~ Blinded By The Light

19. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

So right! And when I hear that radio edit, I just get ticked, cuz that full solo is necessary for proper rocking out!

20. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Kansas- Carry On Wayward Son. Most of the time a station will play the single version with the shorter guitar intro plus the organ solo in the middle is cut out. Personally I don't care because it's not much of a solo anyway. Still counts though.

joemarine likes this.
  21. varispeed

varispeed what if?

In a strange opposite twist (to me), in 1964, the only way you ever heard "Laugh Laugh" on the am radio was with it's rapid fade-out. Now, I mostly hear it without the fade, playing out to its album-version cold ending. Even on good-ole am k-surf. Although I suppose that still puts the song at barely 3 minutes.

22. Time Has Come Today- Chambers Brothers. In A Gadda Da Vida-Iron Butterfly- Green Grass And High Tides- The Outlaws unless you are listening to sirius xm

Hey Vinyl Man likes this.
  23. love that station speaking of cold endings i first heard stop in the name of love by the supremes with the acapella and cold ending on that station

24. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

You'd be lucky to hear the full-length version of Sweet's "Love Is Like Oxygen" on the radio.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2018
    JohnB and quarl23 like this.
  25. quarl23

quarl23 Queen Crimson

Bohemian Rhapsody as I recall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.