Songs that are never played in their entirety on the radio

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sheik Yerbouti, Oct 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SuddenSam

SuddenSam Forum Resident

“Miracles” - Jefferson Starship
    “She’s Gone” - Hall and Oates

(Yeah, listened to a lot of FM Top 40 in the mid-70s)

pudgym likes this.
  2. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

The Knack's "My Sharona" always has the single edit, not the full guitar solo on the album version.

3. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

"My Sharona" is the big one. I can't stand the song, but the guitar solo is absolutely fantastic! It sounds like a completely different band, even a completely different genre. In a perfect world, stations would play the solo exclusively. But, as evidenced by the rest of the song, this world is far from perfect. :nyah:

utopiarun, Paul R and Fullbug like this.
  4. Never is an awful long time.

5. Back in the day Kfog would play it on occasion.

6. Praveen

Praveen Forum Resident

It used to piss me off when pop radio stations in the late 80s and 90s would edit out the rap parts of pop songs but had no problem playing some rap hits like Wild Thing or MC Hammer. Take the gentle rap in Paula Abdul's Opposites Attract. They would actually play a "rapless" version of that song with some generic guitar instrumental in place of the rap part.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  7. WaxHammer

WaxHammer Forum Resident

‘Take Me Out To The Ballgame’ during baseball broadcasts.

8. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

That's because Oldies stations are only serviced nowadays with whatever can be found on a CD, which usually means an album version.

The single version of "Laugh Laugh" did fade out (and I think to better effect; the cold ending is really clunky to me).

The exact same is true of Ricky Nelson's "Travelin' Man." The single faded out, but the version heard now goes all the way to the cold ending.

9. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

It's a safe bet that no station plays "Strawberry Fields Forever" all the way to "cranberry sauce"!

But I've heard some Top 40 stations over the years actually cut the song off before the false ending, eliminating the coda altogether.

It is at this point that I have to suppress the urge to drive to the station and burn the building down.

10. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Another opposite twist: Oldies stations invariably play the full version of "My Boyfriend's Back" by The Angels, including the instrumental break with the horns and the very awkward transition back to the vocals.

It's truly awful, whereas the single edit was perfection.

11. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Mike Oldfield: "Tubular Bells"
    Jethro Tull "Thick as a Brick"
    Jethro Tull "A Passion Play"
    Nektar "Remember The Future"
    Pink Floyd "Shine On You Crazy Diamond"
    Pink Floyd "Echoes"
    Iron Butterfly "In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida"
    Beatles "A Day in the Life" would be edited before the chair-squeak in the fade-out.

12. varispeed

varispeed what if?

Yes, I have noticed that about "Travelin' Man". I also prefer the fast fade on "Laugh Laugh". I'm also noticing "Light My Fire" as an edit on the radio that's different than the 45 and 1967 radio airwaves single-version. I'm hearing it lately with a longer set of Robbie bend notes in the break. Don't know what's up with that version.

13. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Sweet Child O Mine.

14. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

Pink Floyd - "Have A Cigar". Usually they cut it off right before or right after the huge "zhnerp" sound effect. There was a single edit with a longer fade-out but I've never heard it played.

15. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Hot Child in the City - usually misses the last 30 second or so coda.

ElevateMeLater likes this.
  16. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

same with 1999

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Surprisingly, "Joy To The World".

No, not the "bullfrog" one.

Just about every radio station that flips to their "Christmas" format far too soon before Thanksgiving, are predominantly Adult Contemporary stations. Unless it's a Christian station, it's darned hard to find a "Christmas" format radio station which plays the world's most prevalent favorite Christmas song, in its' entireity. Why? Because it's a hymn. Which has stanzas. The kind you roll your eyes at in Church, once you realize you don't know any of these other stanzas. Besides, this is Christmas after all, and we can't allow our clients to get too far away from snowmen, reindeer, holly, elves or American Idol winners, now can we?

And now a word from the cynical people who paid to kill your holiday mood before Black Friday even robbed you of your childlike wonder...

18. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I like Christmas as much as anyone and am far from a Scrooge.

But from a musical standpoint, I dread the coming of the season, because I know that virtually every radio station will switch to an all-Christmas music format right after Thanksgiving (as you say, if they even wait that long).

And the overwhelming majority of the music they play is simply dreadful. There are a limited number of established Christmas songs of relatively recent origin that I like OK (e.g., chestnuts roasting, have yourself, etc.). But for the most part, what I want to hear at Christmastime are the traditional carols that have been a part of my life since childhood. And again as you say, good luck finding them anywhere on the radio.

And let me make it clear...I want those carols to be sung by a choir. I absolutely do NOT want to hear these carols sung by contemporary artists — and this includes artists I otherwise like (sorry, Stevie Wonder or anyone else). None of them will bring anything to carols that can compare to a traditional choir.

And most especially, I don't want to hear contemporary purpose-written Christmas songs with themes such as kids excitedly waiting for Santa Claus, etc. etc. Please! They're beyond terrible, all of them.

Sorry for wandering off-topic, but your post let loose the rant inside me that was brewing anyway!

troggy and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  19. phillyal1

phillyal1 Forum Resident

No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.