Songs that should have been singles?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by R79, Jun 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. R79

R79 Forum Resident Thread Starter

What are some good album tracks that should have been singles. I'd say Rats in the Cellar by Aerosmith qualifies, even though it's already a fan favorite.

2. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

When Do I by the Bee Gees

3. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

"Love Me For What I Am" by the Carpenters. One of my favorite Carpenters' songs and was much better than others that were released as singles, like "Goofus."

Armjim and Price.pittsburgh like this.
  4. wondergrape

wondergrape Forum Resident

5. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

That one song that wasn’t released on Thriller...

6. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

Desperado - at least for the Eagles.

7. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

“Baby Be Mine” or “The Lady in My Life”?

ARK likes this.
  8. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Sorry...it was a bit of a joke...

9. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

Paul McCartney & Wings - Let Me Roll It

10. fretter

fretter Forum Resident

First track: "Taking It to Detroit" live. I have this on vinyl which sounds incredible.

11. Hooperfan

Hooperfan Your friendly neighborhood candy store owner

I remember it was a B-side, though I don't recall what the A was. But I think I played it more, this was before I got Horizon

12. hidlive

hidlive made you look

Pocketful Of Rainbows by Elvis Presley. For an artist known for having quite a few singles, this track slipped under the radar! It's REALLY good.

13. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Harmony by Elton John

14. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Erotic City / Prince

15. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

The Bandstand - A-ha
    Not sure why this wasn't a single from "Foot of the Mountain".
    Should have even been the lead single.

tenohtwo, Uther, LarsO and 4 others like this.
  16. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

Rush - The Enemy Within

Not only is it one of Rush’s catchiest and most propulsive songs, but it’s baffling to compare it to the actual singles from Grace Under Pressure. I have no clue how they thought a song about the Holocaust and a quirky, Asimov-esque sci-fi song had more commercial potential than the pure new wave energy of “The Enemy Within.”

17. benleb

benleb Forum Resident

KISS - Tomorrow (1980). Perfect pop-rock tune and catchy as hell. Unmasked marks the area where Paul Stanley was vocally at his best (before oversinging).

Lonesurf, finslaw and Chew like this.
  18. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Genesis - You Might Recall

Can't say regarding the UK market, but in 1982 when AOR on the FM was strong as ever, this is one that really sticks out. Straight up verse/chorus pop song with great Tony chords and Mike's jangly guitar, but importantly, Phil's signature vocals. It seems too obvious of a choice, but it must be said even into the Abacab era Genesis seemed to read the US market wrong - you see the disparity of their hits in the UK vs US before and after this, it took them until Genesis - Genesis to get an idea of what worked better in what country (Taking it All Too Hard was a FM hit in the US, but not in the UK - Mama was their highest UK chart, but wasn't top 40 in the US, however this was one of those tracks that is a FM staple here regardless)

19. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Elvis Presley was on one heck of a comeback when he recorded From Elvis In Memphis in 1969. The Elvis 68 Comeback Special helped launch his relevancy as a hit recording artist once again with the very socially impactful If I Can Dream, but the first lead single form his Memphis album would really seal the deal; In The Ghetto. From Elvis In Memphis was chalked full of possible future singles like Power Of My Love, After Loving You or Wearin' That Loved On Look, but my personal pick for a future country-pop smash would have been the great Dallas Frazier song, True Love Travels On A Gravel Road.

Lonesurf, blaken123, Jimijam and 7 others like this.
  20. Trash Panda

Trash Panda Forum Resident

Technically it *was* released as a single; it was the B-side of "Bennie and the Jets."
    As for a potential single for Sir Elton, I was thinking "Meal Ticket" from the Capt. Fantastic LP (1975).

21. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

There are a lot of Elvis songs that could have easily been singles.

22. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

The Beatles
    I'll Be Back
    No Reply
    I'm A Loser
    The Night Before
    You're Gonna Lose That Girl.....

23. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That's how I first heard "Love Me For What I Am", as the B-Side of "Solitaire" which I didn't care for all that much. I flipped over the 45, listened to "Love Me For What I Am" and never listened to the A-Side again.

This brings forth a question: When I mentioned the above, I was only considering songs that were released as an A-Side as the single, with the B-Side as an afterthought and not a single. Should both the A-Side and B-Side be considered singles?

BTW, I know that "Strawberry Fields Forever" and "Penny Lane" were released as a double A-Side, with neither being the B-Side.

Hooperfan likes this.
  24. Another Steve

Another Steve Senior Member

25. Alf.

Alf. Forum Resident

Alice Cooper - Guilty. From his 1976 album, Goes To Hell, this just screams 'single'. It's an air-punching stomper, with an ultra-catchy chorus and some very witty lyrics. I'll never understand why Warner Brothers didn't release this as the second single, after the (then) obligatory Alice ballad, I Never Cry.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.