Songs that unintentionally scared you when you were younger

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CellPhoneFred, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member Thread Starter

Roll on big thread....

2. mattstrike

mattstrike New Member

It's pretty stupid and obvious, but I was horrified when I heard Hall & Oats "Maneater"… I took it extremely literally and thought my life was in danger!
    Man, it really freaked the f**k out!

3. CellPhoneFred

CellPhoneFred New Member Thread Starter

Watch out boy!

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Gotta admit that the Vincent Price thing on "Thriller" scared me around then. (Although I suppose that wasn't unintentional.)

5. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

If you want freaky Moody Blues, how about:

"In the Beginning" from Threshold of a Dream
    "Beyond" from "Children's Children"
    "Other Side of Life" music video
    "I Know You're Out There Somewhere" music video
    "Question" from Question of Balance
    "Procession" from Every Good Boy Deserves Favour

6. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

David McWilliam's (I just looked it up) The Days of Pearly Spencer creeped me out when I was a kid...especially those 'radio'-vocals and violins.

7. nbakid2000

"Baker Street" always used to remind me of the "Mathnet" episode that always scared me, so I would put that on the list too. (I always loved it though)

There's also a lot of classical music (piano) that is really creepy as well.

8. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Senior Member

Funny, I was just searching through this to see whether anyone had posted the same song as me and came across this.

Except that mine is the Cilla Black version. I agree that it's very spooky - probably heard when I was around 5 or 6 I guess.

9. JohanK

JohanK Member

Space Oddity with David Bowie. Probably mostly because i think he looked so scary in a video when he performed the song.

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember finding "The Voyage" a tad spooky when I was young.

11. nbakid2000

I always loved that song as a kid. My dad always used to explain to me, "this is a song about a drug trip." Then he would explain the effects of LSD to me. :winkgrin:

12. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember asking one of my grade school teachers what the Who were talking about in the song "The Acid Queen." Speaking of which, "Underture" was a little scary then too.

13. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

"Good Vibrations".

I was about 8 or 9 years of age and had recently seen the disturbing horror flick "Deep Red" which features a killer who- before he/she kills- would play a recording of a children's lullaby. The last section of the Beach Boys tune reminded me of it and I panicked. LOL!

14. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

The one song that spooked me as a child was "Baby Mine" from Dumbo.. and I dont know why!

15. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

Even scarier than the song is the fact that it turned out there really are women who could ""really rip your world apart".

16. steeler1979

steeler1979 Darren from Nashville

"Don't Fear The Reaper" by BOC

17. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

Those are some of the most depressing lyrics I've ever heard, especially since I never grew up. I felt so sorry for that dragon, still do.

18. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I've found that out the hard way myself.

19. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

That Perry Mason TV show theme was spooky, and depressing. And that scene in the prologue of the show, with Raymond Burr alone in the courtroom, where he is deep in thought, then suddenly stops, and smiles mysteriously, almost in an evil sort of way. Never liked the show, or understood it's huge popularity. Burr always seemed more suited for the role of prosecutor than defense attorney, at least to me.

20. flashdaily

flashdaily Active Member

I'm sure this will get laughs, but "Liar, Liar" by the Castaways scared me as a kid in 1965, it just sounded evil, and that high-pitched voice sounded like the Devil himself to me.

21. extravaganza

extravaganza Senior Member

I couldn't agree more ... Puff The Magic Dragon is a total downer of a song for me.

22. DPM

DPM Senior Member

D.O.A. by Bloodrock scared the **** out of me the first time I heard it. The chorus haunted me for days afterward.

23. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

(This thread deserves a *bump* with a contribution!)
    The Days of Pearly Spencer by David McWilliams! It must have been the combination of a 'radio-voice' with those dramatic strings.

24. slapbass

slapbass Forum Resident

The white noise at the end of The Beatles' "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" used to spook my youngest son when he was a toddler. He thought it was a sea monster coming to get him. He's 22 now and loves that track.:)

25. puffyrock2

puffyrock2 Forum Resident

A few others that come to mind:

- The entire album of "Heresie" by Univers Zero

- "Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima" by Penderecki

- "Subway Song" by The Cure. The scream at the end made me jump

- Several moments of "Tilt" and "The Drift" by Scott Walker made me jump

- "Faaip de Oiad" by TOOL

- The end of "Spaceboy" by The Smashing Pumpkins contains a warped sample from some kind of talk show about sex. It still really creeps me out. I always skip to the next track.

A couple of these songs were meant to be creepy, for others i'm not so sure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.