Songs where the artist changes the lyrics for live performances

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimW

JimW In the Process of Becoming

Definitely; he's got a lot more cred than I ever will!

To me, music at its root is about communication. The artists communicate with us, but a great live band is great b/c of the way they communicate with each other. They go where the music takes them, following each other.

Joe McKee and William Smart like this.
  2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Fogerty still sings "There's a bathroom on the right"

Keith V likes this.
  3. Brian Barker

Brian Barker "No matter where you go, there you are"

New Order changes the line in True Faith from "now they're afraid of what they see" to "now they're taking drugs with me", which were the original lyrics before they were convinced to change them for the single/album release.

4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Portugal. The Man often replaces the F word in their song Creep in a T-shirt when doing TV appearances from:

I'm just a creep in a t-shirt, jeans, I don't ****in' care

To:

I'm just a creep in a t-shirt, censored by a millionaire

5. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

When I seen Crimson this past November it was amazing. There was like a secret language between them. Every song was a creation that you got to witness. Each Musician playing their own part, but building on the others and knowing what to do when, and never being flamboyant about what they added to the whole of it. I wish I could articulate it better. It was somehow like free form jazz but not.
    OK this is where my crazy comes through, it reminded me of the opening pages of the Silmarillion by Tolkien. I was amazed to say the least. Lol peace

JimW likes this.
  6. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

"Stray Cat Blues" (Rolling Stones) -- the girl is 15 years-old in original "Beggar's Banquet" version but the age drops to 13 in "Get yer ya-yas out"

7. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Simon and Garfunkel added a new verse to The Boxer for the 1981 concert in Central Park.

Keith V likes this.
  8. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Prince changed Kiss lyrics “you don’t have to watch Dynasty” to the latest hip tv show “Desperate Housewives” “Sex in the City”

9. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Grateful Dead - I think Peggy-O was performed differently almost every time they played it. The arrangements and lyrics changed or were rearranged or forgotten several times. This is probably cheating a bit, however, because their performance of the song never made it onto an album proper.

Not cheating, however, would be Truckin' in which Bob changed things up a bit: "What in the world ever became of Sweet Jane / she lost her sparkle you know she isn't the same / ever since she went and had a sex change / All a friend can say is aint it a shame"

Also, insert your city here.

JimW likes this.
  10. Aurora

Aurora Forum Resident

Joni Mitchell changed some lyrics in "Hejira" for live performances.

Studio version:
    I see something of myself in everyone just at this moment of the world
    As snow gathers like bolts of lace, waltzing on a ballroom girl

Listen...strains of Benny Goodman coming through the snow and the pinewood trees

Live version from Shadows and Light:
    I see something of myself in everyone right at this moment of the world
    As snow gathers like bolts of lace, waltzing on a bridal girl

Listen...strains of Michael Brecker coming through the snow and the pinewood trees

chrisblower and JimW like this.
  11. JimW

I think you said it very well- describing how the band communicates. It's fascinating to watch. Sometimes there are physical cues, sometimes subtle, sometimes overt. Sometimes the cues are within the music. And sometimes it's an almost mystical connection, where to quote the Dead, the music plays the band. And you're exactly right- free form jazz is the highest form it takes. This is what the Dead aspired to (and were influenced by). KC is not far behind.

All imo of course.

William Smart likes this.
  12. JimW

lmao. He actually sang that?

13. JimW

One of my all-time fave concert vids. But awesome music w/o the visuals as well. If that time wasn't her peak, it wasn't very far from it imo.

William Smart and Aurora like this.
  14. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

He almost ruins it in my opinion.

15. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: I have no idea why he decided to use the lyrics of one of his other songs for the chorus here:

16. hhjack

hhjack Forum Resident

Morrissey updating the lyrics to Big Mouth Strikes Again from “and her Walkmen started to melt” to “and her iPod started to melt”.

17. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Rush "2112" live - "Arghh! We are the pirates of the Temples of Syrinx, all the gifts of life are down below. Avast Matey!".

18. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

I like some of Jagger’s live “Star Star” variations:

“Jimmy Page / was quite a rage / I cannot see the reason why”. :)

19. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Of course, there was George Harrison's 1974 change to In My Life "love God more." And from Tommy, I recall the lyrics to Pinball Wizard being different in the studio performance than on the printed lyrics, but live, IIRC the printed lyrics version was sung.

20. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway YES, I'M A NERD

Peter Murphy of Bauhaus re-wrote a whole verse of the 1980 song Double Dare for their 1998 Resurrection world tour, and also sang “searching for the Sufis” for the 1981 song Kick in the Eye, rather than “searching for satori”.

21. Meyer

Meyer Heavy Metal Parking Lot Resident

Technically, it's not changing the words, but Bruce Dickinson never actually sings "666" when Maiden performs Number of the Beast. Drives one of my buddies insane.

22. zen

zen Senior Member

David Coverdale (when singing Smoke on the Water) would start with THEY all came out to Montreux, instead of WE all....

Zoot Marimba likes this.
  23. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Genesis - The Knife.

Every performance never has the right lyrics. Ever.

My favorite is Dancing With The Moonlit Knight 1978 Chicago

"Follow on! With A Trick of the Tail we go!" to be fair this was a one off performance of the whole song they did the whole tour.

William Smart and JimW like this.
  24. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

George Harrison changed the lyrics to a lot of his songs on the 74 tour; Definitely on Something, In My Life and Guitar Gently Weeps; and not for the better in my opinion.

25. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

That one has always seemed intentional.

With The Knife, the lyric change really bothers me. The second verse is just too sanitized live. Sure, just about everything else is better live, but i wish he had done the original lyrics. He did try parts of the original second verse (but mangled them) during the Milton Keynes reunion gig in '82. That reminds me, the short 4 minute versions of the song are a huge disappointment.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.