Songs where the artist changes the lyrics for live performances

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Jan 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. William Smart

William Smart 21st Century Schizoid Man

Seriously! They actually sang that?! I seen them maybe 10 times, the first with KISS and all I can say is thank god they weren't channeling Captn'Jack Sparrow then. I may never had made it to A Farewell To Kings or beyond! Mannnn! Rush meets Disney I can't get it out of my head now. Eeewwwww

2. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Parrot included.
    [​IMG]

Zoot Marimba and William Smart like this.
  3. William Smart

Trespass is probably my favorite Genesis album of all time, to mess with the lyrics of Knife is sacrilegious to say the least. Pax

JimW likes this.
  4. William Smart

OMFG! I don't know if I should laugh or cry! I think cry.....

5. KariK

KariK Forum Resident

Prince changed lots of his dirty lyrics on later tours.

6. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Agreed - they never properly did it after Pete left, and even he would mess the lyric up - not to mention Steve butchers the solo live, they never could get it right.

William Smart likes this.
  7. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Garth Brooks has been known to sing a "third verse" of "Friends in Low Places" in concert. It's a reprise of the second verse with, shall we say, saltier lyrics near the end.

Many times, when Harry Chapin sang "WOLD" in concert, he would change the final chorus to the call letters of a local radio station and re-do the rhyme accordingly. I believe there's an example on the Greatest Stories Live album.

8. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

Mark Knopfler changing the homophobic slur in “Money For Nothing”. I think he now sings “That little queenie with the earring and the makeup/Yeah buddy, that’s his own hair/That little queenie got his own jet airplane/That mothertrucker he’s a millionaire”

9. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Bob Weir changed the lyrics to "Minglewood Blues" to match the city The Dead were performing in. As in "Frisco fillies start looking good" and "There's tea right here in Jersey", leading to the inevitable "There's tea right here in wherever we are" one confused night in 1978.

William Smart and JimW like this.
  10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

[​IMG]

"Does anybody remember laughter?"

Zoot Marimba and William Smart like this.
  11. William Smart

Wasn't that solo done by Anthony Philips originally? I'm trying to remember it's been a while since I seen the album credits. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Steve or Phil get listed as being on that album instead of Anthony or John M. My memory is a bit fuzzy of late so I'm probably imagining, I misread it or something more likely. Peace

PS I'm going to make enemies Now and I do apologize in advance and remind one and all this is only my opinion, that and 1.79 US will get you a cup of crappy coffee buttttt Nothing from The Lamb back was ever Right in Genesis after Peter left! And after Steve left? Forget about it! Lol pax

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
  12. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Indeed - Hack just couldn't do it right live, either that or would freak out with it but badly. The original recording by Phillips is the best in my opinion.

Oh, and, the way I look at it anyway - if you hate Tony Banks you probably will hate all Genesis post Wind and Wuthering. With that said... the album right after doesn't sound much different.

On topic - Collins will often replace "and though she will mess up your life." with "and though she will **** up your life" live for Invisible Touch.

13. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

Didn't Elvis do it a lot near the end of his career? Not necessarily on purpose . . . ;)

William Smart and Keith V like this.
  14. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Lights out... lights out CHICAGO! [crowd applauds]

15. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

George seems to be a recurring theme in this thread, and the changes are always for the worse. My least favorite is in "I Want to Tell You," which turns "If I seem to act unkind, it's only me, it's not my mind" into "It isn't me, it's just my mind," which not only completely alters the meaning into something less sensible, but just sounds less natural.

Billy Corgan sometimes changed the lyrics of "Zero" in concert from "I'm your lover, I'm your zero" to "I'm your lover, I was your zero" and "God is empty just like me" to "God is empty just like you."

William Smart and Keith V like this.
  16. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

He did the alternate version in Nov 2016 in Columbia, SC!

Galactus2 likes this.
  17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

They used to stick joke lyrics into occasional songs. At one point he also sang "Catch the fish" in "Tom Sawyer.:

Scooter59 likes this.
  18. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Like the Chairman?

rswitzer likes this.
  19. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

The FISH cheer obviously.

20. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Leonard Cohen sang “give me crack, careless sex” instead of the more provocative studio line, too...

21. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Every time Pearl Jam performs Love Boat Captain, Eddie modifies the line Lost Nine friends we'll never know two years ago today to receive the passage of time since the Roskilide tragedy

Lennon also modified certain lines in Imagine.

22. Abuelo Igor

Abuelo Igor Forum Resident

What's the secret word for tonight?

23. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

Sonor!

24. William Smart

Yeah those 714s will do that to you!
    " You ain't nothing but a shih tzu cryin' all the time! Yhank Thu yhank Thu merry futch " !

25. William Smart

Though the line "It isn't me, it's just my mind" doesn't roll off the tongue as naturally as the original, I think his meaning is clear. It's not "me" my true self, but my "ego" the great liar. Then again I could be totally wrong. I thought I was once before, but I was mistaken. Peace

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.