Songs Where There is an Argument Going On...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by houston, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eli

Eli Party Coordinator

Jonathan Richman's "The Neighbors," a low-key disagreement over how discreet a man should be with his female friend

Gene McDaniels' "False Friends," in which Gene defends himself against rumor mongers and allegations of infidelity

Ashtray Boy's "Hit," about a fight that has turned physical

2. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Ry Cooder , 'Why don't you try me Tonight'.......Great song from Borderline

The Soronfrbs ' Ginger Crouton'.....From 'Frank', my latest obsession.

Tom Jones 'Delilah'......I play this to my wife when she brings up 'My Obsessions'

Harry Belafonte and Odetta "There's a Hole in my Bucket'..............Impasse......an everyday occurrence where I work!

The Fall.............sounds like every song is an argument.

The Who..........My Wife

Richard and Linda Thompson .......'.Shoot out the Lights'........divorce at 33 and one third.

3. Veni Vidi Vici

Veni Vidi Vici Forum Resident

The Beautiful South - A Little Time

hutlock likes this.
  4. florandia

florandia Forum Resident

Just remembered
    ' The Who'.... 'Magic Bus'
    I want it!

Fullbug likes this.
  5. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

My Favorite Argument Song. I mean they get right in each others faces! I love this video, great song and great performances.

Paradise By the Dashboard Light

6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

"There's a Hole in the Bucket"

(Nevermind I guess someone just posted this. Figured that would be an obscure call)

Folknik likes this.
  7. Summer of Malcontent

Summer of Malcontent Forum Resident

Ya caaaan't have it

Fullbug and florandia like this.
  8. Veni Vidi Vici

Suicidal Tendencies - Institutionalized

BeatlesBop likes this.
  9. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

Power Play - Steppenwolf
    The Smothers Brothers haven't made very many records (songs,comedy,or both) without arguments going on in them.

10. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Everything You Did
    Steely Dan

11. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Which brings us to...

12. Veni Vidi Vici

Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong - Let's Call The Whole Thing Off

13. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds

One of the most hilarious argument songs I have ever heard.. Fred Durst joined Jon Davis and Korn to record "All In The Family". I was going to post a youtube of it but I think it's too raw for this forum. From Wikipedia:

"All in the Family" is a song written and recorded by American nu metal band Korn and Limp Bizkit vocalist Fred Durst for Korn's third studio album, Follow the Leader. The demo version was released as a "radio teaser" shortly before the release of the album's first actual single, "Got the Life".
    Music and structure
    The song is a rhyme duel between Jonathan Davis and Fred Durst, mixing elements of hip-hop beats, distorted 7-string guitars, and Fieldy's signature bass sound. The song begins with Jonathan and Fred insulting each other on hygiene, sexual orientation, family roots, and other things. At the ending, both say they will perform sexual acts on each other in an ironic way, in fact giving the song a confusing twist. There are lyrical references to each other's songs, including Limp Bizkit's "Counterfeit" and Korn's "Blind", "Shoots and Ladders", and "No Place To Hide". Parts of the riff from "Blind" can also be heard during Jon's insults. Musical acts Vanilla Ice, Hanson, and Winger are also tossed around as insults along with references to the 1993 Waco siege, Jerry Springer, Austin Powers, Raggedy Ann, Zingers, and Fruity Pebbles.[citation needed]

Concept
    After the song's release, Davis said in an interview, "It's just me and him ragging on each other. Some kids think that Korn and Limp Bizkit hate each other. But hey, why we would be in the same room talking to each other if we hated each other? We have total respect..." Originally, the song was for B-Real of Cypress Hill, but his record label wouldn't let him do it.[1][2]

Davis and Durst would often offer suggestions for each other's lyrics; a lyric written by Durst as "tootin' on your bagpipe" was changed to "fagpipes" by Davis, who stated "I helped him bag on me better".[3]

Media response
    In an otherwise positive review of the album, Rolling Stone wrote about the song:

It's too bad that Korn can go so easily from the potent to the pointless. The very next track, "All in the Family," is an MC duel between Davis and Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit, a stomping hip-hop track with a good-natured barrage of insults – except for the "******" and "fairy" cracks and lame-o lines like "Suck my dick, kid, like your daddy did" and "You're a fag and on a lower level." To Davis and Durst, that may just be harmless schoolyard jivin'. But Davis knows words can hurt – that was the whole point of "Faget" on Korn – and the homosexual slams in "All in the Family" cheapen, at least for those five minutes, the power and integrity of an album otherwise devoted to kickin' it against cruelty and prejudice.[4]

Similarly, Steve Appleford of the Los Angeles Times called the song "a duet of cheap insults with Bizkit's Fred Durst that only diminishes one of Korn's strongest albums",[5] and the Winston-Salem Journal wrote, "one wonders how [Davis] could stumble so badly with 'All in the Family' – a scatological song crammed with crude jive and anti-gay jibes that severely undercuts an otherwise potent disc."[6] The Austin American-Statesman's critic wrote that the song's "pulsating rhythms... are undermined by countless references to guys' private parts, the f- word, 'faggots' and incest."[7]

Mike Boehm, commenting in the Los Angeles Times, attempted to consider the band's motivations in writing the lyrics:

The homophobic epithets, the band might say, were not meant to disparage gays, but rather meaningless, street-talking jive by two guys "playing the dozens", greatly influential on rap—of verbal combat that emphasizes the competitive trading of fanciful insults. After all, the title "All in the Family" calls back that lovable TV bigot, Archie Bunker, doesn't it?[8]

He goes on to write, "The ugliness of 'All in the Family' doesn't stem from overt homophobia; let's take Davis at his word that he harbors no ill feelings toward gays. Instead, it embodies the ingrained, unthinking homophobic bias that runs strong in our culture."[8]

14. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Get em out by friday. - Genesis

15. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

A one sided argument

American Woman - the Guess Who

16. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Punk meets the godfather - The Who

17. Boyd

Boyd New Member

Beastie Boys - (You Gotta) Fight for You're Right

18. erniebert

erniebert Shoe-string audiophile

Iron Maiden - "Mission from 'Arry"

Veni Vidi Vici likes this.
  19. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

That's not an argument! That's just contradiction!

20. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

"I Got A Man" by Positive K

21. Martinev2

Martinev2 Forum Resident

Eminem/ Dr Dre Guilty Conscience

22. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

I'm blanking on the name of it, but first thing that popped to mind was that song by The Unicorns... Gotta be the catchiest, peppiest "I hate you! I hate you! I hate you! I hate you!" ever recorded.

23. senseabove

senseabove Forum Resident

Great song, and album. I keep getting outbid for copies of "Stands for Decibels," so there are some of us who haven't forgotten them...

ReadySteady likes this.
  24. Second one I thought of (after Living for the City by Stevie Wonder). I didn't expect to see someone else pick it.

"I said turn that thing down & get ready for school......earache my eye how'd you like a BUTT-ache!"

25. tortoised

tortoised Well-Known Member

Charles Mingus versus Eric Dolphy on "What Love" from Mingus Presents Mingus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.