Songs Whose Tapes Were Cut, Re-Cut and Randomly Re-Assembled

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Benjamin Edge, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Benjamin Edge

Benjamin Edge Forum Resident Thread Starter

Besides The Beatles' "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite!" (meaning the instrumental break) and Edgar Winter Group's "Frankenstein," what other songs out there had such a unique sound that had been born from their master tapes being cut, re-cut and then randomly re-assembled?

~Ben

2. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Autechre released a DAT back in the day, from memory it was 50 short tracks that were meant to be played in random order to create a single unique work. Not using tapes but the concept is similar.

--Geoff

3. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

Eluvium just released an album called Shuffle Drones that's also meant to be played on shuffle to create a random yet seamless piece:

Shuffle Drones, by Eluvium

--Geoff

4. scribbs

scribbs Resident Mockery

Teo Macero, where do you start?....

5. Michael P

Michael P Forum Resident

I never knew "Frankenstein" was a cut & paste. My musician friends in high school played it live using my Minimoog (yes I know EWG used an ARP but I created a patch that came close to the sound the ARP made). You do know that unique sound was a synth, right?

"Tomorrow Never Knows" predates Mr. Kite in this category and was probably the first time any pop or rock band tried the technique. Before The Beatles tape loops and splices were done by avant-garde artists like John Cage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.