Songs whose title changed after being released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by PaulKTF, Feb 17, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I thought this would be a fun topic.

Name a song that was released under one title, but was later changed to another title for some reason.

For example, The Jacksons' song "Heartbreak Hotel" was released as a promotional single under that title before being changed to "This Place Hotel" for subsequent releases to avoid confusion with the Elvis Presley song of the same name.

izgoblin, bataclan2002 and geo50000 like this.
  2. Eric_Generic

Eric_Generic Enigma

Why Don't They Leave Things Alone, was a track on Blancmange's 1985 LP Believe You Me.

In the Spring of 1986, they released a new single called I Can See It, which was basically a remixed version of Why Can't They Leave Things Alone. Strange!

3. mr. k

mr. k Master of the Rummage (retired)

The Monkees' "Randy Scouse Git" was understandably renamed "Alternate Title" for the UK market.

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Last track on side one of Jeff Beck's Rough and Ready was originally titled "Raynes Park Blues" and credited to Beck, later changed to "Max's Tune" when it was determined that keyboardist Max Middleton wrote it.

Some early copies of the Mothers of Invention Uncle Meat list the track "Nine Types of Industrial Pollution" under the title "400 Days of the Year."

5. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Speaking of Zappa. Toad-O-Line from Joe's Garage was renamed On The Bus when reissued on CD.

izgoblin and MungoMusic like this.
  6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Early copies of the debut Mr. Bungle album has a song titled “Travolta” which was later renamed “Quote Unquote.”

7. vulcangascompany

vulcangascompany Forum Resident

The Cure's 'Killing An Arab' to 'Killing Another' - although the song was a homage to Camus and his writings Robert Smith felt uncomfortable that it could cause confusion.

mr.datsun likes this.
  8. Hombre

Hombre Forum Resident

"Don't Be Long", released as a B-side under the name of the Beefeaters, it was later rerecorded and retitled as "It Won't Be Wrong" by the Byrds.

RandyP, geo50000 and MikeM like this.
  9. HoratioH

HoratioH Talk Sparks to me

Wasn't it performed at least once as Kissing an Arab?

10. DPK

DPK Forum Resident

The Lemonheads' " My Drug Buddy" became "Buddy."

Fullbug and Hammerpeg like this.
  11. Culpa

Culpa Forum Resident

The Beatles' "I Dig A Pony" was shortened to "Dig A Pony" when released on CD. :)

applejam101 and DK Pete like this.
  12. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Once it became a hit, the title of Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth" was changed on some subsequent pressings of the 45 to "For What It's Worth (Stop, Hey What's That Sound)" so that the record-buying public and record retailers would be clear on what song they were talking about.

izgoblin and Spencer R like this.
  13. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

"Virtuous Circle" from King Crimson's "Level 5" (2001) EP became "The Power To Believe II" on their "The Power To Believe" album (2003). This is odd, as it is an instrumental track. They have done this numerous times throughout their history.

MungoMusic and willy like this.
  14. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

15. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

The Who:
    The Punk meets The Godfather became the The Punk and The Godfather.... and I’m not sure why they changed it.

Fullbug likes this.
  16. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

Nah. That change didn't happen until some time later. All the 45s when it was popular have "Heartbreak Hotel" as the title.

17. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

All Things Must Pass was originally called All Things (Must) Pass when Billy Preston first covered it, but the brackets were removed by the time George released said album.

18. tim_neely

"Games People Play" by the Spinners (1975)

The title was changed under pressure from Joe South and/or his publisher to "They Just Can't Stop It the (Games People Play)."

Nostaljack likes this.
  19. tim_neely

"You Never Can Tell" by Chuck Berry (1964)

Also recorded under the title "C'est La Vie"

20. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

As a matter of fact, the song was only called "I dig a pony" on the US Lp :)
    Elsewhere (including in the UK), the song was "Dig a pony" since day one, even on the vinyl versions in 1970.

21. tim_neely

"Pretty Woman" by Roy Orbison (1964) became "Oh Pretty Woman" after it was discovered that, a couple years earlier, Roy had written a completely different song called "Pretty Woman" for another artist.

22. shanebrown

shanebrown Forum Resident

Bobby Darin released "Shipmates in Cheyenne" in 1972, a John Denver song. But Denver's version is actually "Shipmates and Cheyenne," and was released about three years after Darin's. Bobby's is seemingly the incorrect one.

23. tim_neely

When it was released as a single, Elton John's song "Sartorial Eloquence" had its title changed to "(Sartorial Eloquence) Don't Ya Wanna Play This Game No More?"

24. Matadorman

Matadorman Forum Resident

Zanz Kant Danz On John Fogerty's Centerfield album was changed to "Vanz Kant Danz" on later editions.

25. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

And Fembot in a wet t-shirt became Wet t-shirt nite.

And on the Sheik Yerbouti album,
    Bobby Brown became Bobby Brown goes down
    We gotta get into something real became Wait a minute

On Studio tan:
    Greggery Peccary became The adventures of Greggery Peccary

MungoMusic, dlokazip and egebamyasi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.