Songs you heard once, then searched FOREVER to find!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bagofsoup, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bagofsoup

bagofsoup Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yet another Springsteen cover!

Fullbug and Lost In The Flood like this.
  2. Mandelbaum

Mandelbaum New Member

Back in 1985, I wandered into a Folk Night at a local club. The guy on stage was brilliant, and he announced to the club he had a new tune to play, it was called "Garbage". He would not divulge to me who originally wrote the song (we were kind of rival local Folk Singers in the area). I was totally pizzzed-off, he never told me WHO in the... wrote the tune ("I really want to learn that one" was my thinking, I guess he would forever horde it from me).
    He did, but along come YouTube (in all-itz- this, that, and the other approach to the World), and I then (in 2008) finally discovered that Pete Seeger had preformed the song long-long ago. Real observant ME - Geeze, I am not really an actual folkie (as can now be construed from that true-life story!!)...

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  3. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

One I'm probably never going to find - late night Virgin radio dj who used to mess about, play odd things and go off message compared to the then usual daytime/evening broadcastsm would play snippits of things like Barnes and barnes fish heads. (there were two of them who didn't last that long and got sacked/quietly dropped/left around the same time so about 2001/2002 - think this was probably Mark Fox rather than Jon Holmes who was more sweary/offensive and went far too far & got fined for it), Think it was around Christmas & they played a song or part of a song that sounding like a Bowie parody/soundalike but about Brussels sprouts :confused:

4. DCW

DCW been a-boogeyin' since I ditched the stroller.

When I was a young kid in thee 1970's, I heard a song with the chorus, "Whoa-whoa-whoa it's magic/you know/never believe it's not so" twice. It was so good, but ought that I's never hear it again.

I heard another song, "When My Baby's Beside Me", once. the chorus was unforgettable.

Thanks to current computer technology, I get to put either of those on repeat and drink them in as much as I want. That may be the only good thing about living in an over-automated world.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  5. DamnDirtyApe

DamnDirtyApe Forum Resident

Yep.

Although I gotta say I prefer the Manfred version, perhaps because I heard it first and it stuck in my mind as the "proper version"

bagofsoup likes this.
  6. DamnDirtyApe

So true.. last week for some reason I started humming the lyrics to Jigsaw's Sky High in my head while at work. Forgot the name of the band. Literally 5 seconds later I was listening to the song via youtube. It's easy to forgot how hard that would have been back in the day.

Lost In The Flood and bagofsoup like this.
  7. DCW

DCW been a-boogeyin' since I ditched the stroller.

Yeah-"Sky High"!! That's another from that cluster of childhood favorites! To my mind, that's of a piece with the previous two, even if Jigsaw is sort of forgotten and Pilot and Big Star are now commonly fetishized. I used to repeat that one on the computer in much the same way. I love the transition from the pre-chorus: "I gave you all/I had to give/why did you have to STOP . . ."

8. John54

John54 Senior Member

This is a wild guess: Klaus Nomi?

9. John54

John54 Senior Member

The only song I can think of that mentions brussels sprouts is Jolly Green Giant by the Kingsmen:

10. Matt Nes.

Matt Nes. Well-Known Member

There is a song by Radish, Radish is Ben Kwellers band before he went solo. But anyways they did a song called "Cally". Some how I got a version of it on Napster way back when. Its a ****ty version cause it must have been encoded badly. You can hear mp3 artifacts. I have searched high and low for a better version. I would even buy the vinyl record it came on except there was something about how it was never actually released. Anyone know what Im talking about?

11. DamnDirtyApe

This thread reminds me of an old Married With Children episode where Al spent the entire episode trying to remember a song.

The song was actually Anna (Go to Him) by Arthur Alexander - great forgotten song actually.

12. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

Possibly, but it was all in German. The theatrical presentation was the same. But I think the band were prog rockers. Not Guru Guru, however. Imagine Nomi fronting Guru Guru and that was the effect.

13. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

The tune was from 1981 by a band called Fischer-Z, & I'm pretty sure it's called "So Long".

Cheers,

Gregster

14. Lost In The Flood

looks like it only came out on a cdr promo + demos on bootlegs
    http://www.xanthein.co.uk/radish/promos.htm
    http://www.xanthein.co.uk/radish/demos.htm

Speaking of weird things on napster etc. There's a mislabeled/hoax track I found once browsing somebody's collection on whatever long shut down post napster p2p software I was using - claimed to be Jeff Buckley & Chris Cornell but obviously wasn't, had a similar title to a genuine Chris Cornell song I downloaded trying to id it. (at the time I had no idea they even had a connection, thought the uploader had just stuck two random artists together to get hits)

Lost it with a hardrive crash (alongside a genuine Chris Cornell live cover of Syd Barrett's Dark Globe that never showed up anywhere else - not the Soundgarden or '11 versions on youtube) & thought I had no chance ever hearing it again, having no idea of the real artist (probably recorded by some nobody ) and just a vague memory of the style/lyrics.
    Flashforward 12/13 years to a few months ago, I'm trying & failing to find the source of a quote about Jeff I thought was from a Mojo article, end up reading somebody's blog sharing their memories of discovering Jeff Buckley and hearing about how he died, comments start discussing & linking songs about him, I wander into youtube... and it's there :eek:

Lilac Season (unknown artist and probably not the real title)

15. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Wow, what a great track! Headphone heaven!

BwanaBob likes this.
  16. Seederman

Seederman Forum Resident

This is kind of a dippy tune to cop to, but I guess I'm a softy at heart.

In 1995, while living in Japan, I heard a winsome, longing soft-rock love song on AFR (armed forces radio, but I was not in the military). It was about 6AM on a Sunday morning, and I was half asleep when it was on. The singer was a woman, and she had a keening way of delivering the choruses which reminded me of Maria Muldaur. It was a bittersweet sounding song, and one that I immediately connected with an ex-girlfriend whom I wasn't yet finished getting over. I waited for the deejay to announce the record at the end, but he didn't. And that was it.

For a few weeks, the song haunted me. I couldn't remember any lyrics, just the voice. I had no clue as to the title. I eliminated Muldaur quickly as a possibility; it had to be a contemporary hit. However, that left me with nobody. In those days, there was no internet and I was in a foreign country. I really had no way to identify the song. I hoped in vain that it would play again, but I never heard it on the radio after that one time. Still, every few months I would recall that groggy morning and the mystery song, and the memories I had attached to it, and wondered...who sang that song?

Nearly seven years later, in 2002, I was walking past a store in Venice (California) when I heard the song a second time, just as it was ending. Immediately I was filled with a rush of nostalgia; for Japan, for the ex-girlfriend, for sunshiney days past... I went so far as to ask the shop clerk if she knew who the singer was. "I dunno" she said, "It's only the radio" The strange nostalgia I felt upon hearing the song a second time made me all the more determined to figure out what it was. But I still had no lyrics or title or singer to work with.

Another year passed when I heard it the third time in 2003. This time, the deejay did his job (partially) and said "and that was Bonnie Raitt". Raitt was a surprise; I had associated her with a huskier, blusier voice. This song was feminine and delicate, and sung with a girly lilt. However, it didn't seem beyond the realm of possibility. Still, I couldn't for the life of me figure out the title.

By this time in history, Limewire had been invented. I downloaded a bunch of Raitt songs in the hopes of finding the one. But they were all wrong. I gave up again, figuring it just wasn't meant to be. But I still couldn't get the damn song out of my mind, even though I couldn't hum it, sing it, or describe it.

It was in 2008, after thirteen years, when the nut was finally cracked. I had downloaded a Raitt concert to listen to in the car (consciously wondering if the song would be there), and while I listened to it, she began to introduce one of the numbers. She said something along the lines of "we don't do this song very often; it's a love song..." And before they had even played a note, I realized that this was gonna be it. And sure enough, the mystery was finally solved (after a final step of matching the song with the track listing to find the title).

To most listeners, this is an unexceptional soft rock/adult contemporary trifle. To me, it is the fruit of a thirteen year hunt, and a totem of a time in my life that I look back on with the same happy/sad bittersweet feelings... Now pardon me, while I go cry in my beer...

Bonnie Raitt - You (1995)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
  17. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

This is a mixed blessing. The post internet generation is missing the experience of "discovery."

The feeling of the search, the delayed gratification and the find. It gave the music a little more mystique, mystery or magic. When you scored the record you rushed home with that new found treasure and after the ritual of cleaning and cueing up the LP it gradually revealed its charms through repeated spins.

When everything is available by just typing a few words into the search engine, the find becomes meaningless and the flatness of the experience cheapens the value of the music.

It is the equivalent of munching on a bag of potato chip. None of the chips has any individual value or distinction. Each of them is just a crunch of salty greasy impulse gratification devoid of subtlety or nutritional value.

thxdave likes this.
  18. Lost In The Flood

Love that song (Soma fm's underground 80s stations plays/used to play it ever so often which
    is how I know it)

Fischer-Z - So Long

Just remembered two more - 1st @1992 I manage to catch the early broadcast of the ITV chartshow with a tape recorder next to the telly before going out on a Saturday (had Ugly Kid Joe doing Cats In The Cradle and inexplicable a full video for R.E.M's Stand on the same show - thanks to that & radio one giving it a brief bit of massive airplay I spent ages first convinced it was their new but quickly forgotten single, then that that it must've been reissued.) Then in the chart/indie chart highlights where they didn't show full songs, only showed the name/titles on screen so no record on the tape (tried reading out some of the songs but the clips were too short) and there's a fragment of something haunting with the line 'the past has gone away'

20 years later I finally buy a Levellers album and it suddenly clicks
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EklLaE2CNSo
    The Levellers - Fifteen Years
    "the girl from 15 years ago has packed and gone away"

19. Lost In The Flood

2nd - song I heard in the music department of WHsmiths 1994, right after they'd played The Levellers - Just The One, so about the came the single version came out. Indie, probably British, got briefly played on either radio one or Virgin as a new release, part the lyrics was riffing on the idea of man being free to be free or be in chains...

20. Rodant Kapoor

Rodant Kapoor Forum Resident

When I was in a boy's home in 82-83, one of the night workers, a new wave type guy, used to play the Stray Cats, Rush, Def Leppard, Asia etc., and one morning he had on an album that was so spacey (space rock?) that I immediately fell in love with it.
    I was being punished at the time for smoking in the bathroom and when I asked him what the name of the album was, he wouldn't tell me >:|
    To this day, 33 years later, I still don't know what it was.

21. Psychsound

Psychsound Forum Resident

Beat Crazy is a classic album.

bagofsoup likes this.
  22. Blastproof likes this.
  23. Lost In The Flood

Virgin radio played this jangly song about a woman being sexually dominant dressing up her boyfriend as a woman with the punchline "Molly has made me her girl" as part of their best new music slot (got played for a month, then disappeared when they changed the songs, never made it onto the main playlist). Every time somebody mentioned Marcy's Playground - sex and candy I'd try and remember this so they must have been played together.
    For years the only reference was other people trying to find out who it was, til I finally found somebody quoting the lyrics & naming the song two years ago.

Carrie - Molly (NSFW, no idea how they got away with those lyrics)

BwanaBob and Tropehjelm like this.
  24. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

I remembered hearing a song in the early 90's and the line I remembered was something like "love is like a light that shines to the edge of the universe". Finally found out that it was a song called "Love Is" by Vanessa Williams and Brian McKnight

25. I can't say I searched forever but I heard part of a beautiful song on this TV commercial:

I found out who did it much later on the web and that was my intro to Sixpence and Nash Leigh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.