Songs you heard once, then searched FOREVER to find!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bagofsoup, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

I agree with you about "Unwind". A sensational recording by Ray back then, as was "Everything Is
    Beautiful" and "Mr. Business Man".
    I have the original Barnaby label LP (stereo) from 1971 "Ray Stevens Greatest Hits" which was, I believe,
    the first album that had "Unwind" on it. This is the only cover pic I could find. [​IMG] .

2. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

"Unwind" was first released on LP on the Monument album "Even Stevens", around 1967 or '68.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, I was very glad to get that in 1997. Also on the Rhino Best of Ray Stevens released in 1997.

4. drowningdeep

drowningdeep Dude

Gene Cotton - Sunday in Salem

5. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

This. Heard it about 1973, then never again. Heard Joe Cocker's version about 1989, hated it. Didn't hear Sebastian's version again until about 2000. Now I can hear it whenever I want.

John54 likes this.
  6. milankey

milankey Forum Resident

Norwegian Wood / Mission Impossible

Jim Blob likes this.
  7. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Thanks, I didn't know that.

8. OMG - that's the song! Listening to it - the memories you just brought back for me! Thank you!!!

CliffL, marc with a c and bagofsoup like this.
  9. That's It! We would sit around and mimic all the lines and then wait for the ending. Wow - this brings back memories. Thanks!

CliffL and bagofsoup like this.
  10. thgord

thgord In Search of My Next Euphoric Groove

The Rasberries - Go All The Way

Om likes this.
  11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

My older brother brought back a unlabeled 90 minute 8-track from college with assorted prog albums, the only writing on the 8-track cart was "Nectar" in magic marker. One of the albums on the tape was Zappaesque and mentioned "pothead pixies" and I wanted it. So I bought every Nectar album only to find out that that part of my brother's tape was not here, but the albums were great anyway.

I discover (via download) 35 years later that that album was "You" by Gong, seek and ye shall find.

I'm still looking for Wooly Bully by Gary Myers and the Henchmen that someone used as silent film music on a home made video.

12. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Donna Summer & Giorgio Moroder??

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015
  13. sfp

sfp Forum Resident

Derrick Laro And Trinity: "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough"

A reggae version of the Michael Jackson song. I heard it in a club in Portland in 1986 or so, and me and all my friends just cracked up. Always kept an eye out for it, but I know almost nothing about Reggae (and neither Portland nor Salt Lake City, where I've lived these past many many years are exactly reggae hotbeds). Imagine my surprise and delight when I get the Hustle! Reggae Disco compilation out of the library twenty-odd years later...

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

They sang two songs that night. The other one was a cover of Betty Everett's Shoop Shoop Song aka It's In His Kiss. It was in Linda's live repertoire at the time. She also sang it with Nicolette Larson (rip) in Central Park.

15. EndOfTheRainbow

EndOfTheRainbow I Want To See the Bright Lights Tonight

16. Moray

Moray Forum Resident

Sometime in early 2000 I was driving a mini bus full of mostly hip hip fans from Glasgow to Newquay overnight, and John Peel played some honky tonk song with great harmony vocals we all found pretty amusing and sang along with, but I never heard the name of the song or the artist because of the laughter.

I wasn't worried though, as John Peel had all his playlists uploaded online at that time... ...except for a few months in early 2000! After checking a few times that year I kinda gave up, as I didn't know the song, artist or any of the words, and in time forgot the date I heard it on.

Every so often over the last 15 years a snippet of those harmony vocals played in my head, and I tried in vain to remember the words.

Then you post this thread, and now I've spent the last few nights searching through several months worth of Peel playlists (which now are on line) and searching on youtube for every song with a title or artist that sounded plausible and finally found it; Webb Pierce and the Wilburn Brothers - Sparkling Brown Eyes.

17. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Heard a melody last night...one of my favs now I know the title. "Stairway to the Stars" Dexter Gorder was playing a version of it. Heard it first on "Some Like it Hot" movie and always enjoyed it.

sean

18. Bob J

Bob J Forum Resident

It was in the early 60's. A bunch of us were at a friend's house just hanging out. The record player was in another room and there was a song playing that haunts me to this day. It was a white Doo-Wop tune and the only thing I can remember was (probably) the chorus that went "Wo-oh-oh (sung together as one long word, not broken up into syllables)...there she goes". The rest is gone from my memory. I can't tell you how many "There She Goes" songs I've searched and have never found it so if the title isn't actually "There She Goes", I'm probably screwed. I still can't believe I didn't just walk into the other room and look at the damn record as it was playing!
    On a side-note, I did discover a neat tune called "There She Goes" by Bobby Skel which has a Doo-Wop-ish feel to it with female backing vocals and a Roy Orbison vibe (especially in the chorus) as well.

19. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

My introduction to Kate Bush was seeing Live at Hammersmith Odeon on USA's Up All Night. It was late, and I didn't make note of the artists name (I don't think I saw the whole thing, I mostly recall "Violin.") It wasn't until "Running Up That Hill" became a hit, and a friend bought Hounds of Love that I put two and two together and started buying me some Kate Bush.

20. lrpm

lrpm Forum Resident

An ethereal music played in a Woody Allen movie... I think it took me 20 years to find it was the first gimnopedie by the french composer Erik Satie.

Also it took me several years to find title and artist for "Walking like an egiptian" by the Bangles. I got interest on it long after it was a hit, and was not able to find out. Finally it appeared in a tv add and by using google it was easy to do the connection.

bagofsoup likes this.
  21. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

I had one that wasn't caused by the radio or TV or something like that. No, I heard this song on a CD that I owned and listened to regularly in the winter of 2012. I had the 3CD CCR compilation and listened to it frequently. I loved it, but gradually my attention shifted to new things, namely punk and alternative, and CCR sort of went forgotten for a while.

About a year later, I had a line stuck in my head - and I only had the melody of the first half. All I knew was that it ended with "Texarkana". I was a huge R.E.M. fan at the time, and I remembered the vocalist sounding very much like Stipe. But it wasn't "Texarkana".

A further year later, I remembered that, hey, I used to love listening to CCR and started collecting their CDs. I picked up Willy And The Poor Boys but never listened to it (while the others got spun nearly to death). I don't know why I waited so long. When I finally put it on...

"When I was a little bitty baby
    My mama would rock me in the cradle,
    In them old cotton fields back home;

It was down in Louisiana,
    Just about a mile from Texarkana,
    In them old cotton fields back home."

That was simultaneously one of the proudest and most embarrassing moments of my life.

22. DamnDirtyApe

DamnDirtyApe Forum Resident

Back in the 80s I heard this song about once every 6 months on the radio and always kept missing hearing the artist's name. Typically I'd be flipping through the stations and would hear the song midway through and the DJ would then go right into the next song.

When the internet came around I was finally able to find out who it was.. and was surprised to learn that the band who sang "Do Wah Diddy" (made famous for me in Stripes) and "Blinded by the Light" also sang this song:

23. Lost In The Flood

Lost In The Flood Feeding an invisible goat

You just made me google this - John Peel played it once off vinyl while I was taping part of the show, stopped it after the opening lines because he was playing it at the wrong speed (natch) and restarted the record, & I stopped recording because it 'sounded better at the wrong speed ' but kept that snippet on the tape 'because it sounded funny' :doh:

Tape got replayed a few times but not for @10 years & every so often I still get seriously annoying earworms of an accidental squeaky/chipmunks voice going "the french toast man, the french toast man, sells a lot of french toast" which turns out to not even be quite the correct lyrics.

Fred Lane - French Toast Man :yikes:
    eta: reasons the internet is wonderful , searching John Peel french toast man leads to somebody who heard him play it on 86 and had it change their life - http://scruss.com/enterprise.net/fredlane/

a clip of the exact broadcast + image of the request email he's responding too (proving it's a tiny world the email mentions the website above:eek:)
    https://soundcloud.com/alan-ford-9/peel-2001-03-01-extract-french-toast-man
    still sounds better played too fast.

and ermmm me in a previous internet incarnation going on about wrong speed 'french toast man' earworms 8 years ago :oops:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
    Moray and Mister Charlie like this.
  24. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

The song that I searched for was Sonny Knight - Let's Get It On - not the Marvin Gaye song, but a nice funky organ combo number. Heard it a few times on the radio in 1964/65 and it stuck with me ever since. Ever so often I'd take a run at finding it, and finally found it in 2009 or 2010, courtesy of Youtube. Still as good as I remembered it as a youth.

DamnDirtyApe likes this.
  25. Tero

Tero Forum Resident

I never found mine. I taped it off some backporch type public community radio in California. It was a rock opera in German with the words vorgestern jahr, the year before last, in the chorus of one song. Boots and marching, cellos. I played the cassette in two stores in Germany. Stores sold cassettes then. Neither clerk knew the band. I've played dozens of Krautrock albums without finding it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.