Songs you once disliked and now love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Prudence1964, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm sure I'll get bashed as this being a repeat topic, but didn't see anything immediately jump out after a search so....what songs did it take you a long time to develop an appreciation for?

First one I thought of was "The Pound is Sinking" by McCartney. Used to think it was silly to write a song about the stock market and didn't pay much attention to it. Today, I think it's brilliant and a mix of 3 songs in one and my favorite on Tug of War.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

a lot of pop songs that i didn't like back in the day, i seem to like now. I guess it's nostalgia, and to some degree (and i do like a lot of modern music, so don't go hating on me folks) they are better than a great deal of pop songs in our current era

Big Pasi and DK Pete like this.
  3. MarkTWIC

MarkTWIC Forum Resident

"Bend Me Shape Me" which I used to dislike but now like a lot. But that may be to do with what Amen Corner did to it to have a UK hit.

The versions seemed to get worse the further away from the original "The Outsiders" or "The Models" versions, even "The American Breed" wasn't that bad. Amen Corner listened to these versions and removed almost all the best bits for theirs.

4. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

the entire "wild life" album.

5. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm finding a new appreciation for Michael Jackson songs as well.

veloso2 likes this.
  6. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

That's pretty much where I'm at, things in the 80s I hated I look forward to now. West End Girls and Love Shack are the two that immediately spring to mind for me.

7. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Melody-Rolling Stones-Black & Blue

Sean likes this.
  8. PJ Ramone

PJ Ramone Forum Resident

Dancing Queen by Abba.

It was never off the radio in 1976 and I wholly sick to death of the damn thing.

Now that I only hear it maybe 10 times a year I can appreciate it for what it is; one of the finest pop tunes ever recorded.

9. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Smells Like Teen Spirit

Sean, Dave 81828384 and Prudence1964 like this.
  10. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

exactly the opposite!!!

11. Chemically altered

Chemically altered Forum Resident

None, absolutely none. Whatever does not have moved me the first time around won't move me now!

12. LoveYourLife

LoveYourLife Forum Resident

"With or without you" - U2 -- I was too young, I thought it was boring... years later, I got it, along with the album it's lifted from

"Paranoid Android" - Radiohead -- I was too engrossed in other genres although I did like "Karma Police"; it took me a while to turn "... Android"

"Life's what you make it" - Talk Talk -- I liked the percussion but thought it was too restrained, I felt let down after the brilliance of the previous (more accessible) singles... I was wrong

"The Kooks" - David Bowie -- it always annoyed me on Hunky Dory but once I read his biography it made sense and I now know it's an integral part of that album's musical landscape

13. Picca

Picca Forum Resident

14. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

People may laugh at me for this, but I've learned to appreciate Carly Rae Jepsen's "Call Me Maybe" in the years since it stopped being ubiquitous. It's a fantastic pop song.

15. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Uncle Albert & Monkberry Moon Delight

16. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I don't know which era of "back-in-the-day" you mean but basically, I agree with what you're saying. My "back-in-he-day" period in which i was obsessed with top 40 AM radio was between late '67 and about 1973. One song which stands out above all others which I hated as a kid but absolutely love today, is the (original) Richard Harris version of Macarthur Park. From a musical standpoint, I think it's one of the most brilliant Pop songs ever written. But this is specifically with regard to that arrangement and recording; Glen Campbell also did a good version *of* that version; As for Donna Summer's version...well.....

17. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

I Can't Go For That - Hall and Oates. Pop fluff to me at the time (and the band were ubiquitous on radio and MTV at the time, which didn't help matters), but danged if I didn't hear it out of context a few years back and realize that the intro practically builds like a Steve Reich piece and those vocals (the breathy backing harmonies in particular) are sublime.

Jarleboy and SG47 like this.
  18. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Hong Kong Garden by Siouxsie & the Banshees.

19. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Yeah, overplayed by me.

20. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

My back in the day is probably 78-88

DK Pete likes this.
  21. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Grateful Dead - Touch of Grey.

I know, I know. Anyone that knows me from The Grateful Thread is probably scratching their heads in amazement.

A few years before I properly got into the Dead, I heard the song and thought it was horrible. In hindsight it was just those stupid "baby" synths on the studio version. HATE THOSE (and I'm a Brent guy...)

:)

Sean likes this.
  22. Greg Carrier

Greg Carrier Senior Member

The first time I heard the Pretenders' "Brass In Pocket," I hated it. Sounded like some sleazy dance tune to me. Before long, I loved it, their whole first album, and most of what followed.

goodiesguy and Jarleboy like this.
  23. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Gonna Make You Sweat (Everybody Dance Now)

Its got a good beat. I can dance to it. I'll give it a 75.

jerol

Jarleboy likes this.
  24. MisterPleasant

MisterPleasant Forum Resident

I am not really much of a Yoko fan, but over the years some of the Yoko/POB songs that were at first unlistenable are now some of the wildest rocking tunes I can think of.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  25. Sister Disco

Sister Disco Forum Resident

When I first heard Arriving Ufo by Yes I cringed in terror at it, but after listening to it several more times, I grew to enjoy it in a cheesy ridiculous Star Trek-esque way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.