Songs you once disliked and now love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Prudence1964, Jun 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John54

John54 Senior Member

I wouldn't say there are any that I truly love now that I used to dislike, but there are several that I like a fair bit:

Buckinghams - Mercy Mercy Mercy
    Procol Harum - Whiter Shade of Pale
    Four Seasons - Let's Hang On
    George Harrison - What is Life

If I flog my memory I could come up with many more.

Glenn Christense likes this.
  2. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

I couldn't stand it......and all grunge in general back in the day / early 90s.

Years later (2007), I like Patti Smith's cover version of it, so went back to the original and listened to Nevermind with more of an open mind, and ended up liking it.

veloso2 likes this.
  3. Black Magic Woman

Black Magic Woman Forum Resident

Tbh, I like Patti’s better.

LandHorses likes this.
  4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Black and Blue - Van Halen

The highness of the "don't draw the line" line in the chorus annoyed the hell out of me for whatever reason for the longest time, but one day it went from being annoying to really cool, and Black and Blue went from being an afterthought to one of my favorite VH songs. Crazy.

5. Chazzbo13

Chazzbo13 Forum Resident

Disco-era Bee Gees...

Ezd, razerx and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  6. SurrealCereal

SurrealCereal Forum Resident

I used to hate “Dead Flowers” by The Rolling Stones, but it has become one of my favorites of theirs.

7. classicmusicfan32

classicmusicfan32 Forum Resident

Chicago-Saturday in the park

8. Slice

Slice Fan Of Rock

Do It Again--Steely Dan. For years I didn't know who sang it. Then I didn't hear it for a year, found out it was by SD, picked up their greatest hits, then decided it was cool song after all.

9. tensummoner

tensummoner wish i had a nickle.. thats it just wish i had 1

Eddie Grant- Electric Avenue. I dint care much for it when it first came out..... but now its quite good.

benjis, SonyTek and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  10. SonyTek

SonyTek Forum Resident

What I Like About You - The Romantics. Absolutely hated this song when it was in heavy rotation on MTV in the 80s. I worked in a video arcade at the time and was subjected to it over and over. Most of the kids who hung out there hated it too, and asked me to turn it off. Somehow, years later, I kinda like the tune and don't mind hearing it from time to time. Not my favorite from back then, but not bad at all ...

11. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

It only took me about 40 years, but "Tea For One" by the mighty Led Zep.

12. lightappears

lightappears Well-Known Member

Third Eye Blind - Semi Charmed Life. Could never get passed the "do do do do" part but many years later read that beneath the poppy gloss that the song was about drug addiction. I took another listen to the lyrics and found a new appreciation for it. Still don't care for the "do do do do" party though.

13. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

“Let em In” - Paul McCartney

I hated the song back in 1976. It’s lyrically trite - I thought it was lazy songwriting probably as a result of McCartney smoking too much weed. I still think it’s lyrically trite but that tune is so amazing, so addictive that it’s completely won me over.

MisterPleasant and Reis like this.
  14. benjis

benjis Well-Known Member

True by Spandau Ballet. Used to think it was pop dreck, but over the past few years I've really come to appreciate it. Great vocals!

15. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Journey -Open Arms. I have grown to appreciate Steve Perry's ballad singing.

16. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

The Buckinghams are largely forgotten now but they had some great singles and Portraits is a really good album.

17. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

None. Once disliked, always disliked. The stink remains the same!

18. goodiesguy

goodiesguy Confide In Me

Couldn't disagree more. Amen Corner is the 'Go to' version IMO!

19. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

I won't mention albums coz that'd be way too much. I used to think both Matchbox and Only a Northern Song were the worst Beatles songs ever recorded. After hearing the stereo OANS I now can tolerate it. Matchbox has grown on me and has done the same.
    Seamus by Pink Floyd is also another. Thought it was stupid and annoying but now I truly love it.
    Also the last 2 tracks on Led Zep 3.

Agreed! Same with All About That Bass for me.

mantis4tons likes this.
  20. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

A confession: When it was released in 1971, I absolutely, positively hated this song.
    However, over the years I have definitely developed a fondness for it, even after I found out that the melody was poached!
    That would be: "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" - "Happy Xmas (War Is Over)" - John & Yoko/Plastic Ono Band with the Harlem Community Choir.

21. Ezd

Ezd Forum Resident

I enjoy vocalists and acoustic music more now then when I was younger.. It used to be about 80/20 percent hard/soft rock, now it is probably just the opposite. I am more open to other styles and genres, and play more artists that are not arena headliners.

22. Great music and i still listen to them now:wave:

23. Buick6

Buick6 Forum Resident

Almost everything by Bob Dylan pre 1990. When I was a child Bob was played more than anyone else in our house and I used to beg my mother who was a huge fan to change the record. My younger self would never have believed that he would one day be my favourite artist.

All Down The Line likes this.
  24. Basenote66

Basenote66 Forum Resident

“Black Coffee in Bed” by Squeeze. Always thought the song was good but disliked the vocal - though I like Glenn Tilbrook’s voice usually - I thought it was too much of a push for him - but played it recently and it just clicked finally. Great lyric too.

That’s the one that really stands out for me.

25. tim_neely

tim_neely Forum Hall Of Fame

"Jump" by Van Halen.

I utterly loathed the group. Couldn't stand David Lee Roth. I thought they massacred "You Really Got Me" (still do). "Dance the Night Away" was OK, as was their remake of "Oh Pretty Woman" (not as good as Roy Orbison's, but what is?).

So I had every reason to dislike "Jump." It was one of the few hit songs of its era (1984) where I saw the video before I heard the song on the radio, and my first reaction to the video was "this song is obviously based on a synth riff, so why is no one even pretending to be playing the keyboards?" It finally showed up during the instrumental break; I guess they couldn't fake it any longer.

Over time, I came to appreciate what a great lyric it has. It is Van Halen's greatest hit; it got to #1 for a reason. But back in '84, I couldn't turn it off fast enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.