Sonic Youth Washing Machine getting reissued on vinyl (+2 others)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SisterRay, Nov 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SisterRay

SisterRay Forum Resident Thread Starter

sans_matty likes this.
  2. icirider

icirider Forum Resident

Nice. I don't think I've ever seen one on vinyl. In my top three SY records for sure.

Minty_fresh likes this.
  3. cdollaz

cdollaz Forum Resident

I wish they would release some more archive lives tuff, a la the Smart Bar release.

AcidPunk15 and Dudley Morris like this.
  4. Mistermono

Mistermono Forum Resident

Any info on the mastering on these? Will they be cut from digital?

AcidPunk15 likes this.
  5. chahooa

chahooa Forum Resident

Curious as well here.

6. Bjorn Kjetil Johansen

Bjorn Kjetil Johansen Vortex Surfer

So, now that it's out. Has anyone heard the Washing Machine reissue? Hopefully it sounds good. Awaiting reviews before buying.

7. Turntable

Turntable Senior Member

I own the original US pressing and its very good.

I hope they do the reissue justice and keep it in analog.

8. tremspeed

tremspeed Well-Known Member

This and Thousand Leaves are just good sounding recordings, IMO. I personally would love to see those and the ORG masterings come out as high rez downloads if they're doing a digital step anyways.

jlc76 likes this.
  9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Anyone have any of the reissues?

10. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Just spinning the Washing Machine reissue. Sounds as good as you could expect really, has exceeded expectations a little bit! Certainly as good and better than some of the John Golden mastered lp's ive heard of their stuff!

Mumdad and Bjorn Kjetil Johansen like this.
  11. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

thanks! just ordered this from amoeba, with a 15 percent discount it came to 21 bucks, although it won't ship until january.

richbdd01 likes this.
  12. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

I may have missed but is this one a Golden cut as well? His work is pretty solid on the records I have that he cut. Did you compare the reissue to the CD?

13. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

No i havent compared to the original... I had the original cd a few years ago which i wasnt bowled over by. This new reissue has a generic marking in the deadwax. I dont think John Golden cut it...

I have JG cuts of Murray Street, Daydream Nation, Evol and Dirty. Id rank this as good sonically as any of them. Sonic Youth wont be exactly audiophile but id give this about 8/10 for sound.

It sounds better to my ears than the 4lp JG cuts of Dirty and Goo, which i wasnt fussed about...

14. Budysr

Budysr Forum Resident

Good deal. Thanks for the reply. I was already planning on adding this to my SY vinyl stash, and I will as soon as it's available here in the states.

15. plusequal

plusequal Forum Resident

Just compare the back to black with the original, original vinyl sound better. the new one sound dull ~

16. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

I didnt find the sound to be dull at all...i know I dont have an original but i have a few other Sonic Youth records. This is a solid reissue imo and im usually pretty fussy.

17. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

Can anyone else comment on the sound of the vinyl reissue of Washing Machine?
    Two conflicting posts above, am thinking of picking it up if opinions are generally positive.

18. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Well, if people would post samples as it was practiced in the past here...Anything else is just kinda guessing...

soundfanz likes this.
  19. plusequal

plusequal Forum Resident

I seldom did AB test, I did it cos I saw the reissue is not using the original master stamper, and some people said some "back to black" use CD as source.

I compared them on few songs, specially paying attention on background guitar sound, the original one seem a bit more clear. Maybe the reissue is not bad, but just the original is better.

Did anyone know what is the source of all 3 new SY reissue?

[​IMG]

20. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Interested in this mastering too. Love the album, but don't want to buy digital-on-wax crap. :)

21. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Brilliant album. Up there with GOO as one of their strongest works.

A cool aside-my sister-in-law was the "alien" in Mark Romanek's video for "Little Trouble Girl":uhhuh:

MK75 and stavx79 like this.
  22. dogpile

dogpile Generation X record spinner.

Most likely Czech GZ Media EU pressing...it's hit and miss with this pressing plant :sigh:

23. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Its a myth that Back to Black always use a CD source. Listen to the Nick Drake reissues...

Dont be influenced by people generalizing. If this had JG signature in the deadwax and was pressed at RTI then everyone would be raving. I dont generally like GZ, but my copy was clean and without issue and i think it sounds very good.

I dont have an original so dont know how good this sounded. This sounds better than a couple of the 4 x LP boxsets which i have had, done by John Golden. You're not going to find anything audiophile here....id give it about 7.5/10

I also think you need to know what someone is listeneing on as its very relevant...

Last edited: Dec 15, 2015
    patient_ot likes this.
  24. gohill

gohill Senior Member

I think it is Back On Black that is the re-issue label that almost always use CD's such as their Slayer and Judas Priest vinyl. Universal have the Back To Black re-issues of John Martyn, Nick Drake, Scott Walker etc which are a better proposition in terms of provenance and general quality. Some are pressed at GZ though so you can decide what you want to do regarding buying them.

patient_ot likes this.
  25. Phil Tate

Phil Tate Miss you Indy x

An amazing album. I didn't like it at all on first listen, but now I think it's one of their best.

I haven't heard this reissue but I have the original vinyl which wipes the floor with the CD. Does this reissue have the extra instrumental track on side 3, between "Panty Lies" and "Skip Tracer"?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.