Sonny Clark Trio SACD on Audio Fidelity!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MikeT, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

Sonny Clark SACD!

Another great effort from Steve for the AudioFidelity label.

First of all a very natural smooth sound with piano - front and center, bass - firm right (but more on that in a minute), drums - firm left.

Back to the bass - Wow, what a sound. Even though the drums seem to be "trapped" a bit in the right speaker, the bass, even though directly right - seems to come from somewhere behind the speaker and in the room with you. The bass sound is clean and clear, and doesn't overpower or sound bloated.

Steve, if you read this, how did you get such a great bass sound? Did you master this disc specifically to make the bass sound so good?

Anyway - I have a lot of the AudioFidelity releases - and all are winners in my book.

2. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

This is a GREAT release! It is my first Sonny Clark disc and the performance and sound are fantastic. Nice work Steve!

3. Ronflugelguy

Ronflugelguy Resident Trumpet Geek

Were these preorders. Which suppliers have them in stock?

4. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Acoustic Sounds just announced all 3 of the new Audio Fidelity SACDs as being in stock today. Their price is $14.98 per SACD.

5. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

I got mine from Red Trumpet

6. wildjim

wildjim New Member

The Sonny Clark SACD is superb but I hear the Bass on the Left - Piano Center and Drums Right. . .

RED TRUMPET

7. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

I'm glad there is interest in the Sonny Clark Trio. He died just a few years after he recorded this at the age of 32 I think. A tragic waste!

I believe the bass is on the left. Most of the tracks on the SACD were mastered directly from the 1/2" three-track studio originals without mixing. Probably an SACD first!

Recorded at Capitol Studios, NYC by engineer Bob Arnold.

8. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Yes, I just listened to the Sonny Clark SACD earlier this evening. Very clean and well done sound.

9. RDK

RDK Active Member

I'm eagerly awaiting this SACD, but for those of you just hearing Sonny Clark for the first time, please be sure to check out his Blue Note albums. They're really his best work...

Ray

10. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Jazz fans will like this one. And at the $14.98 price the web stores are selling the Hybrid Stereo SACD for, it's hard to lose !

11. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

Yep, try COOL STRUTTIN, LEAPIN" AND LOPIN" (my favorite) or SONNY'S CRIB (with Coltrane) for starters. He played as sideman on many a BN project as well. Check out the Grant Green / Sonny Clark Sessions for a double-disc set of lovely music!

Unfortunately Sonny only played in the mainstream for about 8 years. The needle cuts another one short iat the age of 31.

12. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I love 'Cool Struttin' (also a great cover!!). I picked up the Classic Records 45 of this several years ago...

Todd

P.S. I agree 31 is just too short a life...

13. bmoura

bmoura Senior Member

Well, the first group of Blue Note SACDs are due out in April. So it may not be too early to drop by the Blue Note web discussion forum and request SACD versions of some of these as future BN SACD releases !

14. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I wonder if Mosaic Records will one day soon make the bump to Hybrids?

Todd

15. MagicAlex

MagicAlex Gort Emeritus

That would be very nice indeed. My concern is that their price would be well upgraded as well.

16. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I just put in an order at Acoustic Sounds for the Ritchie Valens and John Lee Hooker SACD's from Audio Fidelity in adddtion to the Dave Alvin Blackjack David SACD from Mobile Fidelity. I might have to put a deep gaping puncture wound in my wallet and pick up this Sonny Clark SACD after having read these rave reviews here.

17. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

a question for one of you jazzers-

"Sonny Clark Trio" was on the Time label?
    the blue note stuff, is after, or before this?

18. Irwin Mainway

Irwin Mainway Senior Member

Most of the Blue Note sides were recorded before this. (1960)

He had a couple more leader sessions for BN which didn't see the light of day until the last few years. Sonny also recorded a number of sides as a sideman before his untimely death.

19. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep Thread Starter

You are right - these were "typos" when I wrote this.

I had a very tough day at work - and my brain was probably not functioning correctly. :D

The bass is on the left and drums on the right. Sorry for the confusion.

20. Angel

Angel New Member

How did you master this album if you didn't have a mix to work with?

21. Steve Hoffman

We did have the two-track mixdown tape from 1959, but I chose not to use it for most of the SACD. One of the good things about "the good old days" of recording is that some engineers actually mixed right to the three-track tape pretty much. This was one of those situations. I brought in my vintage Ampex tube mixers and we ran the three channels in, blended the piano so it would come out of the middle, and basically mixed and mastered directly to DSD in one move; a song at a time. It was a pain in the butt, but it was also fun, and saved a generation of tape loss. I think it came out rather well, but it would be impossible to do if the multi-track tape was totally unmixed. See?

This is one of my vintage (but tweaked) Ampex tube mixers. It sounds amazing:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/s1-3.shtml

22. Irwin Mainway

Irwin Mainway Senior Member

1959? Hmmm...

My discography (which may be incorrect) has the session as shown below...

Sonny Clark Trio

Sonny Clark (p) George Duvivier (b, 1-7) Max Roach (d, 1-7)

NYC, March 23, 1960
    1. Minor Meeting
    2. Nica
    3. Junka
    4. Sonia
    5. Sonny's Crib
    6. Blues Mambo
    7. Blues Blue
    8. My Conception

I wonder which is correct...

It's great to see the alternate takes! Gonna pick this one up asap.

23. Steve Hoffman

Irwin,

January 6, 1959 is the correct recording date! The later date might be a "record company tapes received" date. Better change those history books!

24. Angel

Angel New Member

Thanks for going the extra mile on this one. I assume that if a multi track recording isn't mixed that you would not have been able to do this because you would have needed compression and other outboard gear to do a mix, correct?

25. Steve Hoffman

Well, it might have taken me a day to mix some of the songs in the old-fashioned way, with echo, EQ and compression to be factored in. Perhaps even longer. No way could I expect the Sony DSD guy to sit around while I tried mix after mix. Lon's a nice guy, but he's only human! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.