Sonny Rollins on Jack Kirby

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dbryant, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident Thread Starter

For those of you who are, like me, beset by the double-whammy of jazz and comic book nerd-dom, I came across a great quote today from an old interview with jazz saxophonist Sonny Rollins on his childhood love of comic books and artist Jack Kirby. From the May 1988 issue of the late, great MUSICIAN magazine:

“When I was young, I mean really young, I did a lot of sketching and watercolors. I can paint, I just haven’t gotten back into it since I’ve been in music — I’d like to, though, if I can find the time. I was always sketching. Someone told me that Wayne Shorter used to do comic books when he was a kid. I used to, too. I was into heroes: the original Blue Beetle, the Human Torch and Toro, Captain America and Bucky, the Sub-Mariner. The Sub-Mariner was nasty, man; he could stay underwater and fly with these little wings on his ankles. I dug Captain America, and that cat who created him...Jack Kirby — he was my man! I couldn’t draw hands; I never could draw hands, so I’d have to have the guy holding something...”

2. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Didnt Joe Simon have his hand in creating Captain America?

3. dbryant

dbryant Forum Resident Thread Starter

You are correct, sir.

4. crimsoncing

crimsoncing New Member

WOW My two worlds collide!!!!!! Jazz and Comics.....

5. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Ya know, looking at Kirby's drawing style as jazz...I'm a bit more inclined to "get" it...

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Great to know a Jazz genius like Sonny Rollins recognised a comic book genius like Kirby....

Evan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.