Sonos Connect: Does it actually work for anyone?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MonkeyMan, Jan 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan A man who dreams he is a butterfly? Thread Starter

Anyone get it to work without dropouts?

2. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Yes mine is fantastic. I have three spread out through my house. I do used the bridge to connect them. I almost never have any problems. I also have one that was modded by wyred for sound and it is fantastic with my metrum dac.

dharmabumstead likes this.
  3. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Been using them for years. No issues whatsoever (at least other than one software update a few years ago

4. dharmabumstead

dharmabumstead Forum Resident

Yes, and I love it. Rather than using the Connect's on-board DAC, I'm running the optical out on the Sonos Connect into an Oppo 105D, and the sound quality is quite satisfying. I use it primarily for Tunein radio (I live in the sticks and have great internet service but am too far out to pull in a decent FM signal), and also Sirius XM, Wolfgang's Vault, and Tidal.

ceynon likes this.
  5. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Never had any issues with dropouts here....Just curious, but what music services are you using? Or are you streaming off stored files?

6. MonkeyMan

I had my CD player plugged into the Connect. I tried both with and without Ethernet connected. I tried unplugging and restarting everything. I still was getting dropouts. I returned the Connect and my Play3 this afternoon.

7. GoldprintAudio

Did you happen to try it with something other then the CD player? (ie...something like Pandora)

So you were attempting to play music from the CD/Connect to the Play3?

Just curious, as I've not had this issue before (I sell Sonos). How is your internet service where you live? (your in Denver so I assume it's good)

ceynon likes this.
  8. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

Kinda sounds to me like it was not set up properly.

9. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Probably good that your turned the Play3. IMHO that's the weak link in the line. Not saying it's bad, jus that the Play5 is sooooo much better.

10. Tommy SB

Tommy SB Forum Resident

I've been deploying Sonos throughout my home for over ten years with basically flawless performance. Here's a subjective review I did for AVRev.com in 2005. My expectations continue to be met with an understanding of the inherent limitations of the hardware and software. Not sure why you are experiencing dropouts but I'm sure there is a solution for your current issues...

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-m...zp100-controller-cr100-loudspeaker-sp100.html

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  11. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

I used to install Sonos a few years ago. Never had a problem. It's possible you got a lemon.

Did you try Sonos tech support? They've always been really helpful for me.

12. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

No problems here. All music sourced via my router (NAS drive, Spotify, internet radio) via a Sonos Bridge/Sonosnet connected directly to my wireless router. No drop outs ever on Sonos Connect, Play:1 or Play:3.

13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I currently have a Sonos Playbar and Sub. This was supposed to be a temporary measure but I have actually been enjoying it for over six months. I listen to TV with the direct optical connection. I use Apple TV4 for streaming movies, Netflix, Showtime, etc. via the HDMI. I have used the Sonos app for music, listened to iTunes via the Apple TV and I have have been able to stream my library to the Sonos using JRiver Media Center. I've been pleasantly surprised by overall sound quality. I am giving consideration to the Sonos Play 5 speakers. While the Playbar offers good quality playback one thing it does lack in its design and I am wondering if the Play 5 would offer a little bit of Soundstage and Imaging I feel what I have lacks. But, I am very pleased at the moment for the quality I get and the simplicity and ease of this system. I also need to understand what the Connect might offer and why so I have some research to do.

gabbleratchet7 likes this.
  14. parisisburning

parisisburning Well-Known Member

The Sonos connect is to connect third party products to a Sonos system (preamp, tv, etc) by rca or spdif.

15. Kingston12

Kingston12 Forum Resident

It is really frustrating, isn't it? For the majority of people Sonos is the near-perfect solution it should be, but for a few it just doesn't work.

My issue was to do with Wifi congestion. Sonos support were very helpful, but in the end had to admit that they couldn't help in my case. My Mac can see 12 networks in addition to my own and that seemed to be too many.

You can try messing about with the channels on your router to see if one works better than the others. If you are using Sonos with a Bridge or Boost then make sure that is on a different channel from your router.

I ended up moving to Chromecast Audio which is an inferior solution in some ways, but is much cheaper and works on the 5ghz Wifi band rather than just 2.4ghz which was key for me. It is pretty much 100% stable.

16. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

The Boost is supposed to provide a much stronger signal than the Bridge it replaced; might be a consideration. That said if wifi congestion on the used frequency and channels is the issue, the Boost may not provide much of a remedy.

Check to see what channels your wifi router and Sonosnet are using the same channels, and try moving Sonosnet to a less crowded channel, as per Kingston12's suggestion first.

ceynon likes this.
  17. MonkeyMan

I'm going to give it another try today.

18. MonkeyMan

I'm glad I tried again. I repurchased the Connect and got the excellent Sonos support people to work their magic, remotely. I have a Play3 in each bedroom, and I'm going out now to buy a Play5 for my living room. I'll probably also place a Play1 in each of my two bathrooms. Maybe a Play3 in the kitchen, as well.

19. GoldprintAudio

If you don't mind spending a little extra $, you should try the Playbar and Sub for living room/tv.

MonkeyMan likes this.
  20. MonkeyMan

I've never owned a television, thankfully.

trd and GoldprintAudio like this.
  21. dbsea

dbsea Forum Resident

MonkeyMan likes this.
  22. MonkeyMan

23. Ivand

Ivand Forum Resident

Is the internal DAC on the Sonos Connect considered hifi?

24. GoldprintAudio

Tough question...... at the price point of the Connect, I think it's pretty good. However you can tell a difference in overall sound quality when hooking it up to an external DAC.

Ivand likes this.
  25. ceynon

ceynon Forum Resident

No. external makes a big difference. Also the W4S mod is a big leap in performance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.