Sony challenges Pioneer's Andrew jones speakers with its Core series speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Jul 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

2. wgriel

wgriel Forum Resident

Looks like an interesting speaker! Nice to see Sony doing something like this.

aberyclark likes this.
  3. saturnsf

saturnsf Forum Resident

I wish the review was a bit longer. It would be cool for Sony to come out with a nice bookshelf speaker line, and naturally they could if they had the will. Don't want to jinx it but I'll believe it when I see it.

mikeyt likes this.
  4. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

I have the SS b1000 which is an incarnation of their entry level 2 way which they have been making for years to little to no fanfare until recently. It is a shockingly above average performer considering the price. One if it's main strengths: big soundstage. Another: lively bass. They don't have the 3d realism or depth of boutique speakers but they accomplish is fairly impression. Fwiw, I have owned 2k speakers, just as a reference. For a 2nd system, penny pinchers, or those simply those on a shoestring budget, these are worth a look.

5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Also, there is Andrew Jones' new home at ELAC. Where he is still serving up amazing quality for the price. Yes, the Sony speakers mentioned are actually very decent options, the SS b 1000 is surprisingly good for cheap.

bhazen likes this.
  6. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I own the AJ Pioneers, first bought them when I dove back into 2 channel home listening four years ago. I've since day moved on to KEF KS50, a whole other league, but use two sets of the Pioneers as well as the AJ center channel in my home theater set up along with an M&K subwoofer, it all sounds phenomenal together.

In between the AJ Pioneers and the KEFs, I used the Music Hall Marimbas as my main speakers for 2 channel listening, and they are truly wonderful and worth a look by anyone wanting to spend $200-$250. They initially were $350 a pair and not long ago could be had for $179, though the price has now crept up to around $235. By all means investigate AJ's Elac line too, but give the Marimbas some consideration, especially if you want or need a smaller speaker that still puts out very big sound with a fairly wide soundstage. I now use mine as "B" speakers for my main system's connection in the Den and enjiy them immensely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.