Sony PCM-D100 handheld recorder - anyone have one?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by kevinsinnott, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist Thread Starter

I just purchased the Sony PCM-D100. I have a Sound Devices 722, which sounds terrific, but is heavy and somehow gets left out of my handbag much of the time. This thing is still larger than I wish it was, but it contains its two mics. I'm overall happy with the sound, but it has what I think is latency when monitoring a recording. I do a lot of soliloquies for my podcast with it, and my monitor phones sound hollow, as if I'm running it through a millisecond time delay device. This only happens in PCM settings. Using DSD (its native A-D conversion) there are no artifacts. Playback is fine.

Any thoughts? Confirmation of what I'm thinking? Solutions? I can likely live with it as in every other way I'm satisfied with its sound quality. The playback always sounds excellent in every PCM and DSD setting, but I guess I'm surprised that its designers never heard it. In case you wonder why I don't record in DSD, I would except my editing software, Adobe Audition, does not accept DSD files. Neither does the Sony Sound Forge software that comes with the unit.

2. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist Thread Starter

Attempting to bump my thread with this question: Why would there be any latency through headphones while recording? Wouldn't I just be hearing it pre a-d conversion? That's part of what surprises me. Apparently Sony hast the headphone jack coming off the A/D and D/A conversions. Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks for any insights. I posted the same question at Gearslutz and Taperssection. Hoping to find a site where someone understands the workflow.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.