SONY SCD-1/SCD-777ES question.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Mal, Jan 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist Thread Starter

Update on SCD-1 hum issue

Thanks for your input Rick. As you may have gathered, I went for the SCD-1 in the end and have not regretted it for one second - it's an awesome player :p.

As I mentioned earlier I was a little concerned because my player was emitting an audible noise from what I assume must be one of the power transformers.

Well, I just got my replacement and the new player has the exact same hum coming from within.

What I have just discovered, however, is that when you play a disc with the display off the hum dissapears and the unit is silent (apart from the very quiet disc spinning noise)! Turn the display back on and the hum comes back. I used the "display off" feature before but I was always in the sitting position and never noticed the hum disappear with the last player! So I guess the problem is solved since I prefer the "display off" setting anyway - you can really forget about where the music is coming from and immerse yourself in the glorious sound.

Has anyone else noticed this on either the SCD-1 or 777ES?

2. rickjames

rickjames New Member

You are quite welcome. Another note: A common problem with both the SCD-1 and the 777ES unit is the "no disc" message when using gold CD's. I have another friend in CA who purchase his about two weeks before I bought mine & we recently both started having the same problem when using gold cd's. Must be a sensor that Sony used that either doesn't meet specifications or is out of tolerance, or an adjustment is not properly set. Other than that, what a player!

3. Mal

Sounds like a major problem seeing as most of Steve's best work is pressed on gold CDs!

How long did you have the player before this problem appeared?

Over on audio asylum there was some discussion about SONY making an update to the SCD-1. Apparently people receiving players that were manufactured from autumn 2001 onwards found a little yellow sticker on the side of the box which said "Updated Version". Of course, no-one at SONY knows anything about this :D but I wonder if it is a fix for the "No Disc" problem?

I think in the UK we are getting older players - the serial no.'s on the two I have seen are around the 500,000 mark whereas people on audio asylum are talking about serial no.'s around 800,000 for the "Updated" version.......

4. rickjames

rickjames New Member

My player arrived in April of 2001. The problem just started, however it could have been there all along as really did not have many gold disks & the ones I had, I hardly played. In two weeks, that has all changed as I just bought all of Steve's discs I could find (a lot of them), most are gold.

The only other person I know with the SCD-1 is my friend in CA who just sent his off to Sony to fix the "No Disc" problem.

I'm going to check the humming noise caused by the flourescent display. I have never heard it on mine, but it may be because I haven't put my ear close to the watt/puppies and listened carefully without music playing. I would suspect 60 cycle noise is being induced into the signal path as the disply may not be adequately shielded.

Must sign out for now as the Speckled trout are calling & I'm heading for my fishing camp with the kids! Life is good!

5. Mal

Rick,

the hum is coming from the player itself - not the speakers. If you put your ear close to the bottom right of the front of the player you should hear it (if it's there!). Once the display goes off the hum goes with it.....

Actually the hum eminates from all round the player but it is easiest for me to hear it from the front the way my player is situated. If it's the same as mine, you'll hear it up to a foot or more away - but it is unmistakeable close up.

Enjoy the weekend - looks like life won't be so good for the fish though.....

6. sgb

sgb Senior Member

But it doesn't use discrete output devices...

www.AudioAsylum.com/forums/hirez/messages/65171.html

just a few less expensive opamps.:)

7. rickjames

rickjames New Member

Malc, I checked out my SCD-1 & no humming noise. I even had my wife (great ears, looks good to) listen & she also did not hear anything. US units are 120 VAC 60 HZ & maybe this is the reason.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.