Sony SCD-CE775 skips badly with SACD on hybrids

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by efhjr, Aug 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast Thread Starter

Problems playing SACD layer on hybrids

I posted this on AudioAsylum, and got plenty of good suggestions (thanks, Metralla!), but I still don't know if many people are having this problem.

I ran the player's Auto Check procedures and still no improvement.

And I discovered the problem when I put in Steve's Zombies SACD and it wouldn't play :realmad: .

I have a Sony SCD-CE775 (modified by SACDMods.com) that will not play the SACD layer of hybrid CDs. It purrs, whirrs, and clicks, and even displays the index information, for about three minutes. It then finally plays the SACD layer and skips consistently about every five seconds.

It plays redbook CDs perfectly. It plays pure SACDs perfectly. But it gets crazy with hybrids. Should I just forget playing the SACD layer on hybrids with this machine?

2. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

I might check with the folks at sacdmods. My ce775 plays hybrids perfectly.

3. RDK

RDK Active Member

My Sony plays perfectly as well. I know you're not blaming Sony per se for the problem, but the complaint outlined in the thread heading is nevertheless unfair to Sony since you did get their player modified. Let's try not to leave people with the impression that the Sony stock players are faulty.

4. efhjr

Clarification of the thread's subject

I think you raise valid points, RDK. Thanks.

So, to clarify my original post: I don't whether the Sony player or hybrid CDs is the culprit in my situation. Maybe both are to blame. And I don't know if the player's being modified is the culprit, either.

I'm looking for advice and information, in hopes that someone who has a SCD-CE775, modified or not, which has problems playing the SACD layer on hybrid, has found a solution.

My research has shown that some of these players need periodic adjustment or cleaning (removal of dust) of their lasers.

5. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

can you de-mod the player? that might fix the problem.

6. Jefhart

Jefhart Senior Member

Mine plays everything beautifully. Maybe you SHOULD de-mod it.

Jeff

7. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

Has the laser been modified in any way? My Denon had a lot of the same symptoms before I had it fixed. Hopefully it's still under factory warranty (time-wise) and a repair facility can fix the problem.

8. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

I'd say Sony won't work on a player that has had mods, even if it's still under warranty - most warranties are specific about things like that. Did you play any dual layer discs before the mods? Did the problem occur then? I'd get in touch with the mod folks and explain your predicament - if they stand behind their work they should make your player work properly...

9. anthony_b

anthony_b New Member

Never a problem on mine. Discs used: Rolling stones (all), Diana Krall (look of love), Sam COOKE LEGEND, THE Police..and others. I also use a sony 222es with no issues.

10. efhjr

PROBLEM SOLVED!

Last night, before I began taking the player out of the cabinet to open it up and clean the lens, I had a hunch. I dug up a Recoton CD Lens Cleaner CD I hadn't used in 10 years and ran it in the player for a few seconds.

With much trepidation, I popped in the Zombies hybrid SACD. The unit read the TOC completely in about 10 seconds. I pressed play and my SCD-CE775 played the hybrid CD without a single skip.

I immediately listened to two hybrid CDs from beginning to end. Had to be one of the best listening sessions I've had in a long, long time.

And, geez, that Zombies SACD is stunningly good. I mean, dang, why on earth can't they all sound this good?

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I feel sorta goofy that I got all worked up about this, and am very glad it worked out so well. I also feel goofy for not trying the simplest approach first before asking for help. And I hope that the unit behaves itself for a long, long time. :cry:

11. stever

stever Senior Member

I've got this player -- what does, "TOC reading," mean?

12. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Table Of Contents

13. efhjr

What does "TOC reading" mean?

I was referring to the player's reading the TOC (I've also read it referred to as "index") of the CD -- the disc name, song names and lengths, and so on.

Sorry for the vague terminology. I'm sure someone else can explain this more fully than I can.

14. FabFourFan

FabFourFan Senior Member

Re: PROBLEM SOLVED!

You can say that again!!

As for the 775, it's sure is convenient that the lens and the little gears are easy to clean once you open it up. (But don't anyone open yours up and get shocked and blame me!!!)

Anyway, yeah, that Zombies disc is the bestest!

As always, just MHO! :)

FFF - Mike Patrick

15. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Re: Re: Sony SCD-CE775 skips badly with SACD on hybrids

I agree...Mine has played flawlessly from the beginning...I wish it make so much GD noise while shuffling!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.