Sony SCD XA5400ES SACD/CD Player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Moby Grape, Feb 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moby Grape

Moby Grape Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seems a couple of threads relating to this player were closed. Took delivery today, manufactured June 2012. Out of the box I am very impressed with both CD and SACD. It can only get better with a bit of time. So…it would appear that this great value in CD SACD playback is still available for purchase. I'm using it in a 2 channel system via analog outputs. Sold my Marantz 8004 and although the Sony lacks USB on the front panel, the sound is somewhat better. I have the Oppo when I want to play my Beatles USB Flac files. Highly recommended and although I'm sure there are better players out there, I doubt any of them can compete at this price point of $1100.00.

Scotch1945, ellingtonic and LeeS like this.
  2. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Lots of members here love this one.

art likes this.
  3. Moby Grape

I should say that the Marantz 8004 is no slouch particularly on SACD. Very musical however my first impressions of the Sony is that it does an amazing job with Red Book CD's. The first disc I played was Mobile Fidelity's Jethro Tull 'Stand Up' Gold Disc which is sort of my reference as I've listened to the original pink label UK vinyl Island pressing and know this recording well. Grabbed the Sony off E-Bay from a well rated seller. Surprised today to discover that the player was shipped directly from Sony.

LeeS likes this.
  4. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

5. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

It will get a little better over time, but a wonderful unit at a terrific price. And mine has been so reliable.

6. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

It's a great player. I'm glad Sony put it back in production.

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I love my Sony XA5400ES.
    I have it for almost 5 years now. Originally I had a Mcintosh MCD500 and I bought the Sony as a backup cause it was so cheap. At some point I realized that I was rarely listen to the MC500 anymore so I sold it. I am sure there are better players than the Sony out there but I never felt the need to upgrade.
    I am using the XLR connections directly to my MA6600 and I found that I prefer the sound to the regular RCAs.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  8. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Congrats!

I was going to ask, since you had the 8004, did you do a side by side 'death match' between the players to decide which one to keep? :winkgrin:

9. moonshiner

moonshiner Forum Resident

I'd like to buy this player but is not available in europe. Can't understand why.

Scotch1945 likes this.
  10. Moby Grape

I did do a side by side comparison with the Marantz 8004 before packing it. On SACD's I really could not hear a difference; both sound very good. On red book CD the Sony was truly amazing. The detail, warmth, ease. The Marantz of course is a newer design and the USB input on the front panel is nice to have although it cannot read flac files. I understand the new Marantz model 8005 does have the ability to play flac files.

11. Brother_Rael

Brother_Rael Senior Member

Sadly not in the UK though. That said I'm happy with my AVI Lab Series player.

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

That's a great price.
    Though the Oppo is tempting for its versatility I'll probably end up with the Sony because of its excellent SQ

13. Gary Freed

Gary Freed Forum Resident

The Sony is a great especially with redbook. Glad to see that Sony has rebooted their flagship player.

14. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I haven't heard the Sony, but last time I checked, Stereophile rated the Oppo BDP-95 slightly higher than the Sony XA5400ES for sound quality in the short blurb in their recommended components. When I read that I went ahead and purchased the Oppo BD-105, several improved models later, because it's a universal player for about the same price, and much more versatile. "Compared to the Sony SCD-XA5400ES, the BDP-95 was consistently more open and spacious (sound staging), with better articulation of instruments and voices."

Last edited: Mar 8, 2014
  15. Metralla

Stereophile have never done a formal review of the Oppo BD-105.

16. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Hmmm, we must have been reading a different version of Stereophile :wave:
    I recall Kal Rubinson saying it was the best SACD player he'd heard.
    Though that comment may have been made before the 105 was on the market.

There are a few readers here and on other Forums who own or have owned both.
    Most prefer the 5400 though all would agree it's close, the Oppo is no slouch and without a doubt the better value all things considered.

I went so far as to ask a respected modder, who works on both of these players.
    In his opinion, for 2 channel audio in stock form, the 5400 had the edge.

But beauty is the eye of the beholder and the equipment these players are mated to will be a factor.
    In fact, considering the "sound" of the two amps I'm looking at, the Oppo may be the better choice.

SKean likes this.
  17. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

The Sony simply gets on with the music. Great bargain for an ES build.

18. Metralla

Kal was enthusiastic in his recommendation. I am simply saying that the Oppo has not been formally reviewed.

19. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yes, but one can make (as I did) the assumption based on other reviews that the Oppo 105 is likely superior to the 95, and therefore to the Sony. Of course a direct side-by-side comparison would be much closer to proof.

20. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

I've had the 105 now for a year, am very pleased with it--although it's made me
    spend a small fortune on SACDs, DVD-As, Bluray-As and on & on--and need to
    stress to those thinking of getting an Oppo; allow many many hours of break-in
    and you'll love its musicality as well as its convenience as a universal player. I've got
    it XLR'd into a pair of tubed 10wpc monoblocks to juice my HiFiMan planar headphones,
    and my enjoyment of all things Who-Doors-ELP-Yes-Genesis-Beatles-Stones-
    Zep-Animals-Little Feat - et cetera is immense...

21. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Agreed
    I was actually responding to the post before yours, I should have quoted it :)

22. Metralla

I think I screwed up in my references too.

I would not make that assumption. Both players have their supporters.

23. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

What, some folks think the older Oppo 95 beats the 105? Never heard that before.

24. I have a friend who has the Sony, and I own the Oppo 105. Both are excellent sounding, and with the Sony 5400 being at the $1100 price point, I might give it the slightest of edge over the Oppo 105, for price alone (but I should add that my Oppo 105 is still in it's semi early stage of break-in, and it's sounding better as it racks up more hours). However, with my particular listening preferences, SACD, DVD-A, Blu Ray, Multi Channel, Music Server streaming, Asynchronous USB Dac, HDMI, etc., I could not go back to a player with the hardware limitations of the Sony 5400. Because of these reasons, my over-all nod goes to the Oppo 105 over the Sony 5400. Of course your mileage may vary.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  25. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I have both the Sony and the Oppo 105 in the same system with the same interconnects Kimber KCAG. The Oppo is amazing for what it does however I use the Sony when listening to 2 channel SACD's and CD. On SACD they are very close both on CD the Sony offers a smoother, better defined soundstage.

JayNYC and SamS like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.