SONY SXRD 60"...WOW!!!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by audiomixer, Oct 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles Thread Starter

Just got back from viewing a Sony SXRD 60' RP TV.
    I think I might "bite". :D
    Picture is smooth and natural.
    Hi-Def is great!
    Dvds look fabulous...upconverted.
    I have a ten year old and great CRT...however :sigh:
    I watch "Lost", "Desperate Housewives", Invasion", KCET, etc.
    (I think it's time.) :agree:
    Anyone else seen or bought this set?

2. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

. . . must . . . resist . . .

3. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Yeah -
    I posted a similar review of it yesterday.. Loved the High Def picture.
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=61839&page=5&highlight=sxrd
    Very impressive- however I went back today and saw that the standard definition TV looked pretty bad on it. There must be some way of defeating the line doubler or whatever scaler is on it. I'll check on AVSforum.com to see what those guys have to say. I hope its something that can be easily fixed - the guys at Circuit City were clueless.
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=584936
    I'll probably buy it tomorrow if I can find a stand for it.

4. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I have to take a ride over to a CC this week and see this TV.

Bestbuy didn't have it last week.

5. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

The Best Buy around me (Jersey now.. :shake: ) are not getting any till next week.

6. JohnG

The PC Richards Superstore in Carle Place probably has this TV but its a bit of a ride from here.

Looks like it will come down to this TV or a Sammy DLP for my hard earned bucks.

Is the SONY warranty purchased at their website?

7. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Hiya John,
    Hope you get to see it the way I did - The Sammy was right next to the Sony with the same feed. I much preferred the Sony - but then again I've only owned Sony TV's.

If Sony is true to their old form, they will send you a note after you send then the filled out warranty card to buy an extended warranty. It may be worth a call to SONY before you buy.

8. audiomixer

Everyone owes it to themselves just to take a peek at it...

9. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I brought my 13 year old daughter to the Salem, NH Circuit City last night to see the 60 inch model. One word: WOW.

This is a very impressive set. We got there as the Eagles/Cowboys second half was starting. The kickoff shot was the overhead camera behind the kicking team. My daughter said, "Wow. I'm in the game! Now I know what it feels like to kick off the ball." :)

I am trying to figure out how to get the wife to let me get one of these. My Sony 36" CRT is only two years old. Maybe if I dump a glass of water into it? :D

Kevin

10. JohnG

If it wasn't for those dumo ears I would be completley psyched to get the TV. Guess we will just have to live with that design and enjoy the great picture.

One thing about putting the speakers on the side, It makes the TV appear larger than it is.

11. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

This set is on my short list as well. The Circuit Citys in Atlanta have them in the distribution center but not on the floor yet...

Our local ISF calibrator Randy Tomlinson, who writes for The Perfect Vision, has one under review and he says the video quality is superb.

12. JohnG

Yes, this set appears to be the first great flat screen projection TV. One that was worth the 4 year wait for me.

13. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Good news! Just found out that my local HH Gregg carries it. That must mean it is out in the Midwest also.

14. JohnG

A couple of the CC's have it in stock but not the one here in Massapequa Park.

15. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Forum Hall Of Fame

Hi Rick,

Are you now the proud owner of an SXRD? If so, which one did ya get and what do ya think of it?

Take care,
    Jeffrey

16. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Hi Jeffrey -
    Still need to get to AVS Forum to find out about the bad picture on the non-hi-def stations. It just amplifies the crap thats sent out (like a good hifi system with the Sinatra remasters). I just LOVE the picture on hi-def and probably will buy this tv soon anyway - probably 50" as I am 11 ft away from the tube - probably get the SONY stand with it - but worried about putting my Krell equipment on it (isolation issues). Got a 10% off coupon from Circuit City which is one of the few that does not exclude the Sony XBR's

17. Jeffrey

Hi Rick,

Please lemme know what ya find out about the non-hi-def situation. About half of my viewing is non-hi-def, so this would be a major issue down here. Geez, life sure is getting complicated. My gosh, we are only talking about buying a TV. :help:

My primary viewing position (open house design) is only about 8 feet away, so i'm also planning on the 50". I'm gonna keep my audio gear on other stands, so the Sony stand is probably the right call for me.

Take care,
    Jeffrey

18. audiomixer

I would recommend the 60" for viewing distances of 9-12".

19. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

The Sony stand is 66" long - I can't fit another equipment rack between my speakers and the TV set.

In a world without a significant other I'd be all over it :D
    Going from 32" to 50" is enought of a shock to her. Plus the extra $1000 for the 60".

20. Jeffrey

Hi Rick,

Neither can i..... i plan on having one audio rack to the right of my speakers and one to the left. I consider myself a moderate. :D

Take care,
    Jeffrey

21. Surely, you mean 9-12' (feet) ;) . My two-year old daughter seems to watch a lot of TV at 9-12 inches (36" Sony direct view). Until she sees me and heads for the sofa, six feet away :) .

Keith

22. Even with the expanded width (due to the side speakers), this stand sounds more suited for the 60" model. Is there not a dedicated Sony stand for the 50" model (55 inches wide I believe)?

I was visiting my cousin in Toronto early last week and saw one of these sets at Future Shop. It looked great with the demo source they were using (a DVD I'm guessing). He 's thinking of getting the 50" model. The Panasonic 50" plasma beside it looked pretty good as well.

I may have to look at an equivalent UK model in the future.

Keith

23. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

24. bresna

bresna Senior Member

The stand shouldn't be an issue with these sets. If you look at the pictures, the base that needs to be on a stand is about 2/3 of the set's width. The television itself is 66 1/2 X 21 1/2 X 17 3/8 (W, D & H) but the base is only 39 1/2 by 19 1/8 by 3 (W, D & H). Almost any stand will do.

As I always do, I highly recommend Wood Technology CM-V36 stand. I followed the "Buy direct" button and then chose the "Hot Specials" button. Don't worry about the stuff about "flaws"... there weren't any on mine. I believe there is free shipping too. Rock-solid construction of all hard wood.

Kevin

25. audiomixer

Caught Again...lol :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.